Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

All of the roll in rooms come with the fridge that is pictured. No need to ask unless you want a bigger one.

I just got back from my POP Century trip and everything was fine. I was given room 3103 in the 50s building, it's on the first floor facing the pool. The room is laid out just like the one in Pugdog's pictures and has the same measurements.

Made reservations for the Dolphin and got a couple questions answered. There are 5 rooms with King bed and roll-in shower. All are standard view vertically on top of each other on the 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th floors. I stayed in the one on the 6th floor in 2001 prior to the renovations. The King bed means that it is geared for 2 people max but we have a 14yr old son and they are including a roll-away like they did last time (if it is the same as last time, it is a pretty nice single bed). These rooms are real close to the elevators (and from past experience, they are fast elevators too). The beds have 6 1/2 inches of clearance under them for Hoyer lift if needed. Engineering can be contacted to help with other minor needs (we used them to put blocks under the table legs so the wheelchair would clear underneath the table when we were there in 2001). There are also other HCP rooms w/o roll-in shower but I didn't ask about them. Handicap valet parking (with appropriate tag) is still free because they don't have handicap spots up close. Make sure you check the bill before leaving to make sure it wasn't put on. Self parking is not free even with handicap tag.

Are there any resorts besides AKL which have rooms with a roll-in shower and 2 double beds?

We have a room booked for next September at Grand Floridian :dance3: and they have us blocked for a room with two double beds and a roll-in shower. I will be sure to report on it when we return from that trip!
Angela

I've stayed in 4 units so far and 3 unit types. (Sorry no measurements as I don't bring a tape measure.)

Springs
3525 - 1bedroom, fully accessible with roll-in shower, lower bed (18-20"), and multiple raised outlets around the room. Ground floor, in the center of the building by the elevators. Handicapped parking of 4-6 spaces right outside. View of the Springs' lake. In the same building as the preview model units.

3512 - studio, fully accessible with roll-in shower, lower bed. Extra cabinet space in the kitchenette with microwave on the counter. Identical shower configuration to 1bedroom. Views of the parking lot, ground floor.

3510 - dedicated 2bedroom. The master bedroom is the accessible portion with lowered king bed and roll-in shower. Second bedroom has two queen beds, regular height and regular bathtub bathroom. View of the parking lot, ground floor.

Grandstand

8525 - 1bedroom fully accessible unit with roll-in shower. Located near elevators in center of the building. Same configuration as Springs unit 3525.

Rooms with kitchens don't have an exterior breakfast counter and have a different style of refrigerator (fridge on top and freezer on bottom).

Can anybody tell me a bit more about the accessible rooms at AKL? We've got a reservation for a standard room, standard view. At the moment with the grab bars and all (hopefully a room with roll in shower becomes available later on, there weren't any left at this moment).

There seems to be some conflicting info. Some info says the bedding in these rooms are 1 king + a roll out. A CM at Special Request however told me that the room that's blocked for us has only a king bed.

Also I got some conflicting SR info. One CM told me that while they've got a room with grab bars blocked for me now, there's a note in my account about me actually needing a room with roll in shower. If one becomes available (which she didn't expect untill coming closer to the actual date) they would switch it for me and call me. That kinda surprised me; them checking and calling internationally? Wow. The CM said it's no big deal, she's done it before. However CM2 told me 'we don't check nor call, you'll have to do that yourself'. Both times I spoke with SR directly. What has been your experience on this subject?

I'm estatic to be staying at AKL, so I would even sleep in a broomcloset if needed ;) but a room with roll in shower makes it a lot easier, so if I need to keep checking myself, I'll do that.

OK, then I'll just answer my own first question. ;) Guest Services just called me back because there have been troubles with my reservations (wrong name, wrong address, wrong resort even!) Again I was told the room at AKL was a king bed only with a second room for the other adults. So that's 2 CM's stating the same thing versus different info on allears. With them actually having 2 rooms blocked, I'll give the CM's the benefit of the doubt. ;)

The second question seems to be answered with 'who knows'. The answer was very unclear, like 'we think they'll check, we'll ask them'. Hmm, ok.

Does anybody know what building the king size rooms with roll in showers rooms are located at POFQ? Are there elevators?

What building should we request? Are there maps which show which rooms are acessible?

Thanks Again

Charleyann

POFQ
This is in another thread on accessibility of rooms:
We have just returned from staying at POFQ.

At FQ we had room 3140, ground floor king with roll-in shower which connects with 3139 a standard 2 queen bed room.

This is a map of POFQ and PORiverside (FQ is on the bottom):
PortOrleansMap.jpg

room 3140 would be building 3, floor 1, room 40. That is the only room we have a number for, but obviously, there are more. There are elevators in all the buildings and any rooms with roll in showers would be either on first floor or in a room with an elevator.
POFQ is the smallest WDW resort, so everything is pretty close and compact. Room request location is probably not that important at POFQ, and there may not be any roll in shower rooms in the building you are interested in - or - if there is one, it might not be available.

POFQ was built in 1991, so it wasn't under the current rules for accessibility (hotels designed and constructed after Jan 1, 1993) . The current ones call for accessible rooms to be scattered around the resort; before that, the accessible rooms were often grouped together, so it may be like that at POFQ.
The current guidelines call for a total of 1 fully wheelchair accessible room for each 100 rooms - so by those rules, they would be required to have a total of 10. If they didn't have that number, they may have converted some when they did a renovation in 2003-2004.
When you call for your reservation, you can certainly request an area, but when they check with Special Services for availability, it's possible there may be none available in the area you want at the time you want. That room will be actually blocked for you at the time of the reservation. They typically don't tell you where exactly the room will be. In case of a room being out of service for some reason, they don't want someone planning on a specific room.

I am staying with POFQ. I had changed to CBR. But in speaking with CM, they recommended the smaller resort. They said it was more compact and CBR was spread out very far. They explained with roll in shower rooms that there were few preferred rooms. So we may not get what we would like and be far away from things....

I also thought of CSR but being a convention hotel, that didn't appeal. So POFQ it is! Hope I have no regrets!

BTW...how many pools are there at POFQ?

Charleyann

We've got a reservation at the Contemporary in October. Does anyone have any pictures of the rooms?

I just wanted to add that room #6141 at the Wilderness Lodge is an HA King room (Courtyard View) but it has a private balcony (a person must stand up to see the courtyard so it might be a disappointment for anyone who would like to sit on the balcony and people-watch.

We just returned from our 1st trip at Saratoga Springs. I wish I had taken pics of the room, but we had a very busy trip. (Trip to Daytona 500)

We stayed in room 5112 in the Paddock area. The room was somewhat cramped especially for a DVC room. Don't know if this was a remodeled room but it sure felt like it. There was a closet not 12 inches away from the bed. I pretty much had to turn sideways to get to the closet, there was no way DH could have gotten near it in his chair. Here is a pic of that area of the room.
IMG_0200.jpg

There was a smaller closet near the entrance but it had the vacuum, broom, ironing board filling it.

This resort is very spread out and had we not had our own vehicle we would have probably been miserable. DH's batteries would have been worn out getting back & forth to the Carriage House (main lobby/rest./pool areas).

This room location was very conveniently located near the HA parking & close to the quiet pool & bus stop.

Can anybody tell me a bit more about the accessible rooms at AKL? We've got a reservation for a standard room, standard view.
I'm estatic to be staying at AKL, so I would even sleep in a broomcloset if needed ;) but a room with roll in shower makes it a lot easier, so if I need to keep checking myself, I'll do that.

when will you be staying there? We're in town 5/2 - 5/6 and my friends have a handicap room reserved so I can check it out when we're there... provided you're arriving AFTER us.

Hi,

We will be on the Disney Cruise in 09 to celebrate our 50th anniversary and have a handicapped accessible room. It is room 6644. Is the room layed out like the regular rooms,just a little larger? What is the verandah like.

Also, my husband has a electric scooter that is fairly long. How do I find out if it will fit on the Disney elevators? Do they have the sizes of the elevators accessible. His scooter is 55 inches long and 27 inches wide.

It would be great if anyone has some pictures. Thanks again for any and all help.

Peggy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter