Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

I recently used a room, with my mom, at POFQ which was not specifically wheelchair accessible, but had bathroom handrails (which we had asked for).

I did use a wheelchair, but only for stamina reasons, so I didn't use it in the room, nor did I even try to, so I'm sorry if I don't have any info on that matter (except I can tell there was enough space so the chair, once folded, could fit besides the bed!... and it could pass through the door even unfolded)

I'm sorry, I didn't think about taking any measurements. :worried:

The room was #4148, so in building #4.

It's on floor level, in the corner, altough not the corner room, and facing the little park area between buildings 4 and 7... with a little bit of parking area in the view.

It's about a 2min. walk to the main buildings (Sassagoula food court, Jackson square gift shop, front desk, etc.) and hot tub, maybe 3min. to the pool and about 1 min. and a half to get to the bus stop.
It is centrally located, altough there are some rooms closer to everything (4148, being in the outer corner of the building, is further... a room in the corner facing the main building would be even better). ...but are those rooms equipped with handrails? ha, that's another question! :lmao:

Here are some pictures :
2008-04-29_17-17-21.jpg

View entering the room

2008-04-29_17-19-57.jpg

Sorry it's blurry... View back from the bathroom.

2008-04-29_17-18-18.jpg

As you can notice, there is a counter in the bathroom, which makes it a little easier for laying around products and getting ready in the morning! :thumbsup2
You can also see there's a door, instead of the usual curtains.
I don't know if the counter is w/c accessible (low enough, roll-under...)

2008-04-29_17-19-37.jpg

A view of the other side of the bathroom.
You can see the small wall-safe on the right-side, behind the door.

2008-04-29_17-19-21.jpg

Again, if you notice, mousekeeping was putting the towels on the railing... I had to leave a note saying I needed it and to please put that somewhere else... of course the mousekeeper changed and forgot to inform the next one.. since they keep changing I didn't keep writing notes... so I had to move the towels around each day... at least I had the railing! ;)
You can sort of guess one of the bath railings on the left of the toilet there...

2008-04-29_17-19-01.jpg

You can see some of the bathtub railing there... the 3d rail, the one you could guess on the previous pic, is at the right end, over the faucet.

As you can see, not much space here to transfer from a w/c... I can't see how one could transfer in such a tight space! Of course I could be wrong about that, not being one to transfer myself. :confused3

Since I didn't use the wheelchair in the room, and since I don't even think someone could
, we didn't quite understand the idea behind putting the door where it was and removing the curtains (which is the usual design in the resort, and in most Disney resorts)...
We didn't like that design which prevented one person being in the bath or shower, or going to the, hum... you get it, and the other getting ready in the morning, for example. :headache:
I understand when it's a w/c accessible room, but that one doesn't seem to be.

Just a note : the safe was really, really tiny. Only about 1.5" deep and about a feet wide and a feet high. We were on the verge of not being able to put our wallets in there! I would've like to put my iPod and Nintendo DS in there... no way! :eek:

I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask if I left some info out!

Hi does anyone have pictures or know about Fort Wilderness Cabins? I know the set up is pretty nice just wondering if they have handicap accessable showers and ramps to get into the cabins? Thanks also if anyone knows where are the handicap cabins located and are they near the bus stop? thanks for all the help

Thanks so much for the link to the Contemporary Resort rooms. I need all the info that I can get for our upcoming stay because my MIL will be on a scooter and needs an ADA friendly room due to her multiple health issues and moblility challenges.

just making sure that all the rooms will be able to accomodate an ECV to get into the room--I have rented a 2 bedroom suite with my DVC points for october--will i need to request a certain room? I can walk short distances so just need to be able to put the chair in the room and charge it at nite. thanks for the help:confused3

just making sure that all the rooms will be able to accomodate an ECV to get into the room--I have rented a 2 bedroom suite with my DVC points for october--will i need to request a certain room? I can walk short distances so just need to be able to put the chair in the room and charge it at nite. thanks for the help:confused3
The rooms are all the same size, so you won't need to request anything special from that standpoint. You may have to move a table or chairs, but in general you should not have a problem fitting an ECV in the room to charge.

If you need any special features, like a roll in shower or grab bars by the tub, you may need to make some special requests. Depending on the resort you are staying at, the bathrooms and bedrooms in the rooms with roll in showers might be exactly the same as rooms without the roll in shower. There are some resort rooms where the bedroom is made smaller so that space from the bedroom can be used to make the bathroom bigger to accommodate the roll in shower.
What resort are you staying at.

what building is better or do they all have elevators?

i do not need a rollin shower as long as the rooms have a seperate shower so i can walk in. i am recoverig from a broken foot and am in a cast right now but am not sure how i will be in october but planning for all possiblties...i think i will still need the ECV to get around the resort and parks. thanks for all your help

They all have elevators. The only DVC properties where elevators are an issue is Old Key West - only three of the about 45 + buildings have them.

You'll be fine as SSR.

Saratoga Springs buildings all have elevators.
The master bedroom part has a separate shower. There is a little lip to walk over, but it is a separate shower, not a combination shower/tub.
If you need a shower chair/bench, you can request one from Housekeeping once you get there. Here's a picture that shows the shower from the Master bedroom:
Studio_1-BR_Lock%20Off_12.jpg

The roll in shower doesn't have the glass part of the wall or the shower door. There is no lip at all; the floor of the shower just blends in with the floor. There is a shower curtain instead of a door.

The other bedroom would have a combination tub/shower (that's the Studio part of the 2 bedroom).

Location depends on what you want to be near to. We like Congress Park because it is closer to walk to Downtown Disney. It's also not that far of a walk to the check-in/restaurant/main pool area and it's not far from the bus. The Springs is close to those things, but the bus stop there is the last stop.

We just returned from SSR & POP.:) Sorry, no photos.

At SSR room 8325 is a one bedroom in the Grandstand area, almost across from the elevator (absolutely quiet), wheelchair accessible with wide doors, grab rails in the bathroom (around commode, tub/shower, some wall area), but a regular step in tub/shower: bathroom has commode, sink, step-in tub/shower. Room was in excellent condition and housekeeping did a fantastic job with VIP cleaning, including carpets. Two wide doors to the bathroom, one from living room and bedroom.

The pull out couch is a queen, hard as cement! Housekeeping did bring egg crates asap, which did help.

This room location was very close to the first bus stop, so first on and off to/from parks. It was reasonably close to check-in,food court etc., but quite dark to walk alone at night and a small hill/turn could be a bit difficult in a wheelchair, but doable. Very close to a quiet pool, just around the corner.

I moved alone to POP due for a short extended stay (thanks to the Tropical Storm).

POP room 5470, king bed fully accessible, 4th floor, 60's building facing Hippy Dippy pool. There was a large icon semi blocking light from the window, but it was dark from the storm anyway.

This room was in pretty good condition considering the wear and tear POP rooms get. No time for VIP cleaning as I booked and checked-in same day, but housekeeping did come to change all bedding within an hour and did clean the bathroom again with disinfectant. Also brought the egg crates and did a very nice job carefully making up the bed - very kind housekeeper. The room does need a new air fliter as it had a stong funky order.

Wish I had photos, but forgot a camera this trip. :confused3

We just returned from SSR & POP.:) Sorry, no photos.

At SSR room 8325 is a one bedroom in the Grandstand area, wheelchair accessible with wide doors, grab rails in the bathroom (around commode, tub, some wall areas), but a regular tub/ with hand held shower. Room was in excellent condition and housekeeping did a fantastic job with VIP cleaning, including carpets. Two wide doors to the bathroom, one from living room and bedroom.....................

Wish I had photos, but forgot a camera this trip. :confused3
Not to worry, I don't have pictures of POP, but I do have pictures of the SSR fully accessible one bedroom.
By the way, the doors are the same in the accessible ones as in the non-accessible, so all are wide.

The entry area, with the kitchen ahead on the left and the bathroom and bedroom on the right. (Some SSR units are mirror images of each other, so your unit may be the opposite):
2590PA090139-med.JPG

The kitchen, refrigerator/stove side. This is the 'back' of the wall from the hall picture:
2590PA050009-med.JPG

The kitchen, sink side. The cabinet under the sink was removed to make a roll in, but they 'filled' it with the trash. The kitchen is a little wider to make space for a wheelchair:
2590PA090138-med.JPG

The living room. The only change is that the small snack counter that is usually on the living room side of the kitchen wall is removed so they can use the space to make the kitchen a bit wider. The door at the top of the picture goes to the studio part of the 2 bedroom. (It's locked off if you are only renting a one bedroom).
2590PA090137-med.JPG

The master bathroom area. The door is the same, the space is arranged a bit different, but is the same size as a non-accessible room. The tub room is to the left and the bedroom is beyond that. The stacked washer and dryer are in a closet just to the right of the picture and the kitchen is across the hall to the right.
2590PA050001-med.JPG

The roll in shower of the Master bath. There is a shower seat and a hand held showerhead that can also be attached to the wall:
2590PA050005-med.JPG

The whirlpool tub area. This is pretty much the same as the non-accessible villas, other than the grab bars and the closet has a low bar.
2590PA050020-med.JPG

The master bedroom. I don't think there are any changes to the room. The bed was lower and did have space underneath where a lift could go under. The wall of the tub room is just to the front of the picture on the right:
2590PA090133-med.JPG

They sure are. And balcony rooms are even better!
I've got a friend who was recently on a cruise in an inside room. She said even though the room was very nice, the lack of windows made her feel like she was staying in a large closet.:lmao:

I've got a friend who was recently on a cruise in an inside room. She said even though the room was very nice, the lack of windows made her feel like she was staying in a large closet.:lmao:

She's right. We did it once-got a deal too good to pass up-$399 pp for a 7 day cruise on a brand new ship-but we'll probably never do it again. Small, dark, not for me. So for our anniversary cruise DH made up for it by getting us a balcony suite with a butler! Much better. Gotta :love: that man!

Not to worry, I don't have pictures of POP, but I do have pictures of the SSR fully accessible one bedroom.
By the way, the doors are the same in the accessible ones as in the non-accessible, so all are wide.

Thank you, Sue! That is identical to our room, except the roll in shower. Did not realize all the doors were so wide - good to know. The grab rails were great - so nice to have instead of dealing about balance issues all the time. Those photos bring back memories.... This time last week that's where we were :)

Also noticed the trash cans "filling" the space under the sink - sometimes folks just do not realize. ;)

Thank you, Sue! That is identical to our room, except the roll in shower. Did not realize all the doors were so wide - good to know. The grab rails were great - so nice to have instead of dealing about balance issues all the time. Those photos bring back memories.... This time last week that's where we were :)

Also noticed the trash cans "filling" the space under the sink - sometimes folks just do not realize. ;)
What did you have in place of a roll in shower?

We had a regular step in tub/shower only with better grab rails.

Essentially our room was a limited accessible room due to the tub/shower arrangement. I'll be sure that is in my posts about the room. :)

We had a regular tub only with better grab rails and hand held shower.

Essentially our room was a limited accessible room due to the tub/shower arrangement. I'll be sure that is in my posts about the room. :)
Did you still have the whirlpool tub in the room between the master bedroom and the bathroom that has the toilet?
I'm asking because the regular non-accessible SSR rooms have a shower like this in the master bedroom (the toilet would be outside of the picture to the left).
Studio_1-BR_Lock%20Off_12.jpg

Did you have a tub in the shower spot or was that bathroom totally different?

Yes, we did have the whirlpool tub - it was outside the bathroom, part of the bedroom, if that makes sense, There was a sink, mirror and closest as well.

I did not use the bedroom, so didn't spend time in it more than first look through when we went to the room. The photo you have of the whirlpool is exactly the same. Every photo looked the same except for the tub/shower, which is a traditional step in tub with shower. :) I updated the hand held shower b/c now I'm not 100% sure it was hand held. The memory goes with the MS and of course, age! ;)

Yes, we did have the whirlpool tub - it was outside the bathroom, part of the bedroom, if that makes sense, There was a sink, mirror and closest as well.
Yes, that makes sense.
The area with the whirlpool tub is open to the bedroom, so it is kind of a separate room, but not a separate room.
I did not use the bedroom, so didn't spend time in it more than first look through when we went to the room. The photo you have of the whirlpool is exactly the same. Every photo looked the same except for the tub/shower, which is a traditional step in tub with shower. :) I updated the hand held shower b/c now I'm not 100% sure it was hand held. The memory goes with the MS and of course, age! ;)
Just so I have it right, was the tub/shower in the room with the toilet and a sink?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts