Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

I'm so glad it's all worked out and you can relax and look forward to the trip. :goodvibes

And by the way, :welcome: to the DIS!

I am sorry if this has been answered before.... I looked through about 6 pages on this thread and didn't see any info... so I thought I would ask.

Are there any full or semi HA rooms at the GF and if so does anyone have demensions or photos?

Thanks so much!

I am sorry if this has been answered before.... I looked through about 6 pages on this thread and didn't see any info... so I thought I would ask.

Are there any full or semi HA rooms at the GF and if so does anyone have demensions or photos?

Thanks so much!
They do have fully wheelchair accessible with roll in showers and rooms with tubs and grab bars.
I don't believe we have any pictures or measurements.

Just wanted to post our accessible room location from our trip in July 09.

Our extended family was in 3 rooms in a row.

Room 6082 was the accessible room. It had a king bed, oversized bathroom with roll-in shower & fold down bench. The balcony was a little oversized as well. (both of those made the actual room a little smaller, but plenty of room for a wheelchair.) Just 2 of us in that room. In general, accessibility was well thought out.

We adjoined to 6083, which had a queen and bunk beds. Room 6084 was a regular room with 2 queen beds.

All the rooms overlooked the beautiful lobby, and we had no problem with noise. The view off the balcony was "woods view". It was a fine view, but not stunning. There was some noise from deliveries in the early morning. It was not a problem unless I was out on the balcony early.

It was very convenient to run up to our room, we really loved staying at the Wilderness Lodge.

One other wheelchair note. Re: boat-- the large one is accessible, the smaller one, not. They alternate runs to the Magic Kingdom.

Laurie S.

Hi,

We are planning on staying at CSR!! This will be our frist stay!!! My question is what area would have a HC room close to the food court? My DD 16 is in a WC and would like to refill her mug or make a purchase such as a snack. We stayed at the CBR last may but the foodcourt was far away from our HC room!!!! It was close to a quiet pool and bus stop but the food court was too far for her to travel!!!!!! Any suggestions????:goodvibes

I know others have posted about this--but had the misfortune--again--to get a studio/roll-in shower at SSR where the main closet is inaccessible to anyone with an assistive device because the bed is about 12-14 inches from the wall the closet is on. They claim they have NO roll-in shower rooms where there is an ability to fully get around the bed with assistive devices (in our case--a walker). Either you have a room that is accessible to assistive devices--or you have a room with a roll-in shower--you can't have both.

Thoughts and advice--management claims these rooms are ADA approved. . . .whatever that means?

I know others have posted about this--but had the misfortune--again--to get a studio/roll-in shower at SSR where the main closet is inaccessible to anyone with an assistive device because the bed is about 12-14 inches from the wall the closet is on. They claim they have NO roll-in shower rooms where there is an ability to fully get around the bed with assistive devices (in our case--a walker). Either you have a room that is accessible to assistive devices--or you have a room with a roll-in shower--you can't have both.

Thoughts and advice--management claims these rooms are ADA approved. . . .whatever that means?
I don't have time to check out the ADA requirements tonight, but I think the requirement is for an access aisle of 36 inches on at least one side of the bed.
I can tell you that when we stay at SSR in a one bedroom unit, we have to move chairs in order for DD to be able to get thru the eating area to get to the living room area.

I don't have time to check out the ADA requirements tonight, but I think the requirement is for an access aisle of 36 inches on at least one side of the bed.
I can tell you that when we stay at SSR in a one bedroom unit, we have to move chairs in order for DD to be able to get thru the eating area to get to the living room area.

Sue--were you ever able to check the ADA regs? Moving chairs would not bother me--but moving a bed is not on my agenda.

Oh and to add insult to injury, Member Services advised today that there are NO roll-in shown studios at the Villas at Grand Californian (not just that they were all taken--that none were actually constructed). I'm calling my guide tomorrow--this happened a month or two ago and I was told there were. I can't believe they wouldn't have any.

Has anyone stayed at a HA room in BLT?? We are looking to book a 2BR villa there and need a roll in shower

Oh and to add insult to injury, Member Services advised today that there are NO roll-in shown studios at the Villas at Grand Californian (not just that they were all taken--that none were actually constructed). I'm calling my guide tomorrow--this happened a month or two ago and I was told there were. I can't believe they wouldn't have any.
We got a mailing to buy points and I think it said there would be 48 units there.
With 48 units, they are required to have 2 handicapped accessible units, but none of them are required to have a roll in shower. The requirement for a roll in shower 'kicks in' at 51 rooms. See this Dept of Justice document document.
Has anyone stayed at a HA room in BLT?? We are looking to book a 2BR villa there and need a roll in shower
No one has reported staying in one yet.
But, the good news is that they have enough rooms that they will need to have multiple roll in showers.

Reckoned I'ld post the info for anybody that might be looking for it. This september, I spend 8 nights at AKL CL, room with roll in shower. First night I shared the room with a friend (also in wheelchair), next 7 nights she had her own room (non CL).

Got assigned room 4431. Great room with an amazing savannah view. It's about 1.5 'building' away from the elevator. Far enough out for a very good savannah view, yet not very far from the elevator right next to the lobby that gets you to both lobby and busstop as to the Mara, Boma, pool etc. Take a right turn after exiting the room for that elevator. Also at a bit less distance to the left after leaving the room; another elevator that would exit near the pool and Boma.

CL staff; great. :thumbsup2 Not only with regards to their 'regular' duties but also with regards to my needs. Within no time they had maintenance disable the automatic door opener on both rooms so we didn't have to fight the door to get in or out. Somebody was always around offering help when getting food or drinks in the lounge etc.

Cons; the lay out of the room. Very crowded with all things crammed in there. Had them remove some chairs within the room and from the balcony to give me more space to move around. You can NOT manouvre a wheelchair right next to the bed on the right side, too little space between wall and bed. Bit of a problem that first night. We decided to share the queen bed to have optimal room to move around. This left us with one manual chair next to the bed on the left side. One powerchair right in front of the balcony door. And one manual chair situated around the bed right side corner. No room to put that chair in a way that wouldn't block the walkway to the door and bathroom. So basically, anytime any of us wanted to exit the room or go to the bathroom, the other first had to go to the sofa. Quite a pain in the rear, but doable for one night.

Also, I if you fold out the sofa, I don't think a manual chair - let alone powerchair- could still fit next to the left side of the queen bed or next to the sofa. Chair would have to be positioned at the feet of the bed. Something to be very aware of when considering using the foldout.

We didn't tell the CL CM's about this until the last night. I simply figured I would inform Special Services about this after coming back so they could inform guest about the problems when 2 wheelchair users are in the room. According to the CM we talked to it should've been dealt with like it would've if we had booked 3 adults into a one king bed roll in shower room, but found that a bit overboard myself. After hearing about this experience, she checked up with DCL for us to make sure we would have room to move around in our stateroom we booked for the cruise after this WDW-part, without continually having to kick somebody to the other part of the room and/or not being able to put both chairs next to the beds yet not being in eachothers way.

All in all it was a great stay. Would definately recommend this for 2 persons willing to share the queen bed, especially if they feel OK with having one or two of the chairs removed out of the room to make a lot more space. Wouldn't recommend the room for 2 wheelchair users or a group of 3 because of the room used up by the fold up, never mind if a small child is sleeping on it.

We just stayed in the MK view room at the Poly and it was wonderful Dw in a wheelchair with my self and two boys and we had plenty of room. The automatic doors were great no need to sty holding open a heavy door for DW while juggling all the booty we had accuired during our trips to the park. I can put up pics but this room had been covered before its number 1017 in Tahiti blg. The view was fantastic and having the small ramp out on to the patio was heaven for DW. We will be headed back to WDW in Apr. and staying at BC and will be sure to get measurements and pics since I haven't been able to locate any on the boards. pirate:

There are HA rooms with roll in showers at BLT. Please check out this thread by work2play. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=33152565&postcount=1

People have reported that not only are there some rooms with a roll in shower but the bed in the master bedroom bed was lower to the floor for ease of a wheelchair person to get in and out of bed. There are also HA rooms with bathroom rails and no roll in shower.

I would think you should call MS to verify this information.

We have just booked a trip for July staying 16 nights at POR then 5 nights at Pop Century. We are a family of 3, myself, DH and DS (18) who is quadriplegic and a full time wheelchair user. I have a few questions about the rooms.

I requested accessible rooms with roll in shower. Special Needs have allocated us accessible king bed rooms at both resorts with a rollaway bed. Will this work for us? What size are the rollaway beds? Are they robust enough/large enough/comfortable for an adult? Can we use bed rails with them? What is the height like for transfer to/from a wheelchair? Where in the room would the rollaway be positioned? Will there be enough floor space for a wheelchair alongside the bed for transfers? Will we still have space to move around with a wheelchair? Does anyone have photos of the rollaway beds?

We have always had connecting rooms or rooms with 2 beds before. Do they have rooms with 2 beds and a rollaway shower? I just don't want us to be struggling, 3 weeks is a long time to struggle. I do feel a bit short changed that for what we have paid one of us will not even have a proper bed :(

Located first floor just off the lobby and over looking the back entrance of the Beach Club. The hotel was well setup and the location was wonderful, the room had two double beds and push button controls to open the door from inside. We had the room with a roll-in shower but the bathroom wasn't functional for my wife the toilet was too low gor her to get off by herself and the grab bar setup wasn't helpful. The sink was too high although it did have the paddle controls for the water. And although easy to get into the roll in shower seat was very small, DW is not a big and she was not comfortable on it. We have added this hotel to our list of non-functional for us along with the OKW. Others we have found well setup was AKL, POR,POFQ, the two best for us so far WL and the POLY.

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

OKW
1 bedroom wheelchair accessible with roll in shower, room 2115.
Connects with lock off accessible studio with roll in shower 2116 to make a 2 bedroom villa.

The master bedroom is to the right as you enter the room. The entrance to the studio is to the left. This makes the toilet in the master bathroom have a wheelchair space to the left of the toilet.

Hi, all,

We had to switch from the Poly (medical bills piling up, need a less expensive resort) -Has anyone had experience with a WL room with handrails and a bench? We tried to book BC, but all HC rooms are already blocked for our dates. My friend would like to try WL, but my understanding is that WL only has a king bed and fully accessible rooms (which I would need if no handrails). Also, would the resort add a rollaway even though there would be two of us?

Thanks much!

Hi, all,

We had to switch from the Poly (medical bills piling up, need a less expensive resort) -Has anyone had experience with a WL room with handrails and a bench? We tried to book BC, but all HC rooms are already blocked for our dates. My friend would like to try WL, but my understanding is that WL only has a king bed and fully accessible rooms (which I would need if no handrails). Also, would the resort add a rollaway even though there would be two of us?

Thanks much!

There is a highly informative post by Bill Sears, page 1 post 4, with lots of pictures. Not at all sure about the rollaway bed. Hope you're able to get a room that accomodates your needs.pixiedust:

There is a highly informative post by Bill Sears, page 1 post 4, with lots of pictures. Not at all sure about the rollaway bed. Hope you're able to get a room that accomodates your needs.pixiedust:
Thanks much - your dust worked! ::yes:: We moved to YC and they blocked a fully accessible room in what looks to be a nice location for a std room. I did forget to ask if it has 2 beds though, so will call back later today to verify - all is well! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!