Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

Hi, all,

We had to switch from the Poly (medical bills piling up, need a less expensive resort) -Has anyone had experience with a WL room with handrails and a bench? We tried to book BC, but all HC rooms are already blocked for our dates. My friend would like to try WL, but my understanding is that WL only has a king bed and fully accessible rooms (which I would need if no handrails). Also, would the resort add a rollaway even though there would be two of us?

Thanks much!

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge last July, and found accessibility worked well in general for my husband, the wheelchair user. Aside from a couple minor things, accessibility was well thought out. I don't think the room would fit a roll-away.

We had kids with us in a adjoining room (with my very nice parents). My husband also stayed in YC for a conference. Room was fine.

Laurie S.

Any reports on accessability at CSR? We are travelling with 4 adults (techinally 3ad 1jr). My husband will have just had knee surgery and will be in a large, non-bending brace. He will not be able to step in to a tub/shower although he can still stand during the shower (we hope!). Can we request a roll in shower room for him? How will this work with 4 people in a room. Will they have to give us 2 connecting rooms? We will find out more shortly from the doctor concerning his post-op mobility issues.

On an unrelated note, we would have never survived our last trip without your GAC info! We got a GAC with a no stairs stamp for him at DL and it worked perfectly!

Any reports on accessability at CSR? We are travelling with 4 adults (techinally 3ad 1jr). My husband will have just had knee surgery and will be in a large, non-bending brace. He will not be able to step in to a tub/shower although he can still stand during the shower (we hope!). Can we request a roll in shower room for him? How will this work with 4 people in a room. Will they have to give us 2 connecting rooms? We will find out more shortly from the doctor concerning his post-op mobility issues.

On an unrelated note, we would have never survived our last trip without your GAC info! We got a GAC with a no stairs stamp for him at DL and it worked perfectly!
When you are making the reservation, talk to the person about your needs. You can request a roll in shower and the CM will have you hang on while they contact the Special Needs department to find out whether or not they have a room with a roll in shower for the dates you need.
Tell them how many people are in your group and they will determine what to do about the group. Some rooms in some resorts will have 2 beds and sleep 4 in that room.

If you have any questions later, you can call the Special Reservations number directly. YOu will need your reservation number when you call; there is more information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board (or follow the link in my signature).

Saratoga Springs buildings all have elevators.
The master bedroom part has a separate shower. There is a little lip to walk over, but it is a separate shower, not a combination shower/tub.
If you need a shower chair/bench, you can request one from Housekeeping once you get there. Here's a picture that shows the shower from the Master bedroom:
Studio_1-BR_Lock%20Off_12.jpg

The roll in shower doesn't have the glass part of the wall or the shower door. There is no lip at all; the floor of the shower just blends in with the floor. There is a shower curtain instead of a door.

The other bedroom would have a combination tub/shower (that's the Studio part of the 2 bedroom).

Location depends on what you want to be near to. We like Congress Park because it is closer to walk to Downtown Disney. It's also not that far of a walk to the check-in/restaurant/main pool area and it's not far from the bus. The Springs is close to those things, but the bus stop there is the last stop.

I have a question about the 1 BR at SSR with regard to the shower stall in a regular room. I know we can request a bench but can we also request one of the shower 'hoses' as well? Detachable shower head? I'm sorry I forget what the proper terminology is...
Similarly, if we were to stay in a studio, do they have the transfer benches (where you can slide in from the bathroom into the tub on the shower chair) and also, would you be able to get the detachable shower head put into a reg. tub/shower combo?

thanks

We are scheduled to go to WDW in Dec in CR Tower. I have a roll in shower requested and confirmed it with the Special Reservations people.

Now I have read that these rooms only have a king bed - there are 3 adults (49, and 2 -70's) on our reservations. Is this true?

I've also read about the noise from Chef Mickey. I can tell you that a roll in shower for my dad is not worth the crabbiness that will ensue if we are jolted awake, morning noon or night from Chef Mickey! He's already said he'll sponge bathe if he has to, he just wants a quiet room! :)

Any info is appreciated. I've search the archives and found little on the location of the rooms or if the rooms are only king.

Thanks!

Is there a handicap assesssable suite at the ASMu? Has anyone ever stayed there or seen it? How does is look?

Does anyone know if all the area at POR have a roll in shower room..? We were booked to stay there next yr with a roll in shower room and was going to request an area closets to food court.. just wanted to make sure before I call for a request.. thanks.

Does anyone know if all the area at POR have a roll in shower room..? We were booked to stay there next yr with a roll in shower room and was going to request an area closets to food court.. just wanted to make sure before I call for a request.. thanks.

Yes, both Alligator Bayou and the Mansions bldgs have fully accessible rooms. AB would be first floor as there are no elevators, but all mansion bldgs do have elevators. I know for sure AB has HC rooms in bldg 14 very near the food court/lobby/bus stop - we had one but cannot recall the room number. Enjoy POR! :goodvibes

DM uses an EVC because she has 2 knee replacements and is 84 yo. We plan to stay in a SSR Treehouse villa next May. She does not require a handicapped equiped villa and I would not want to ask for one as some one who truly needs might miss out.

Are there villas with a ramp or where would we be able to put/recharge the EVC? Your help is most appreciated.

Is it too late to book a solo trip for either the first or second week of December? I'd like to stay at AllStar Music or Pop. I would need a tub seat and hand held shower since getting in and of the tub would be difficult by myself. Thanks for any advice. Kathy

We are scheduled to go to WDW in Dec in CR Tower. I have a roll in shower requested and confirmed it with the Special Reservations people.

Now I have read that these rooms only have a king bed - there are 3 adults (49, and 2 -70's) on our reservations. Is this true?

I've also read about the noise from Chef Mickey. I can tell you that a roll in shower for my dad is not worth the crabbiness that will ensue if we are jolted awake, morning noon or night from Chef Mickey! He's already said he'll sponge bathe if he has to, he just wants a quiet room! :)

Any info is appreciated. I've search the archives and found little on the location of the rooms or if the rooms are only king.

Thanks!

We stayed at the CR last October in an accessible room and it had two queen beds and a sofa bed (single). It was a large room and easy to manuever in (except for the shower - it was a little small but we made it work).

I've read all 8 pages and looked at work2play's great work sheet but I could not determine what units are HA.
TIA

Hi,

We are planning on staying at CSR!! This will be our frist stay!!! My question is what area would have a HC room close to the food court? My DD 16 is in a WC and would like to refill her mug or make a purchase such as a snack. We stayed at the CBR last may but the foodcourt was far away from our HC room!!!! It was close to a quiet pool and bus stop but the food court was too far for her to travel!!!!!! Any suggestions????:goodvibes

We have stayed in 1,3 and 4 which is close to the food and buses.

Does anyone know if there are accessible rooms with a roll-in shower in Casitas 4 or 5 at CSR? I am going on my honeymoon, and i like that these are located at the first bus stop, so i am more likely to get on the bus with my chair. also, they seem more remote, and a little quieter - always a plus for the honeymoon!

if not there, does anyone know where the accessible rooms are at coronado springs?

Yes there is, we have stayed in both of those buildings. 1 and 3 are also nice to stay in.

A friend of mine has two standard view studios reserved for January 2011 at Kidani Village, one of which is fully H/A (roll-in shower) for her adult son who is in a wheelchair. I'm trying to help her figure out what section of the resort they might be located in. When I called the resort the CM said they were, "scattered all over the resort." I'm sure there are a very limited number of studios with standard views with roll-in showers. Does anyone know where they might be located?

I know she won't be located right next door to her son and his friend, since she and her husband will also be in a standard view studio. They requested as close as possible and it's noted on the reservation.

Thanks for any insight or information on the fully H/A room locations that anyone can provide.

Bev

Has anyone stayed in an accessible Inn Room at Vero Beach? Just wondering where they are situated, hopefully not on the first floor.

Caron

I will be traveling with my paralyzed husband, twin 2 yr olds and my able-bodied sister (god bless her) this May. we plan to stay in a one bedroom villa at the wilderness lodhe villas. Our travel agent was told "all rooms are wheelchair accessible" but when I called I was told to request a "handicap accessible" room for the accessible bathroom.
Does this sound right to anyone?
thanks so much

Yes, it makes sense. All rooms in Wilderness Lodge are served by elevators, so there are no stairs to reach any of the rooms, and all doors are wide enough for wheelchairs to fit through with no problem.

To reserve an accessible suite, you need to call Disney (or have your travel agent call) and ask for one to be reserved for you.

There are two types of accessible rooms, one with a roll in shower and ones without (but with extra handrails). I imagine you want one with a roll-in shower.

There is the number for special services in the FAQs at the top of the page, or you can call the regular contact number and they will direct you appropriately.

We stayed at the WL for our 2010 trip! The HC room was great! We had a roll in shower! The view was great, we could see fireworks! We enjoyed the balcony. DD loved it. She uses a wheelchair fulltime. The elevators were great.:thumbsup2

For our 2011 trip we are doing a split stay! We have decided to stay at CSR and BC!!! Hope this is great trip too!:goodvibes

We were there at the same time as Weswife. We were in room 1015 just past the Roaring Forks, seemed to be alot of HC rooms down there. Roll in shower with adjoing room. The photos on the first page that Bill Sears posted show the set up of these rooms very well.
We had stayed in this very room a few years ago and didn't have a problem this time however the ADA height toilet was not present and we had a standard height toilet, not sure if they replaced it because of a problem with the old one and just used the first one they had. We are letting WDW know so hopefully they will fix this problem.

DW shot a short video of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSzM5hS9Hrs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!