Wheelchair Lift at Jungle Cruise

Safari Steve

D23 Expo Here I Come!!!
The lifts have not worked properly since being installed earlier this year, and as such have been mothballed while WDI and MK Safety figure out a way to make them work. It's a combo of a time issue. It takes longer to load one guest on the lift than it does to unload/load 35 guests. Also, the size of the new boats limits the number of boats that fit on the dock, which makes compounds the time issue. Additionally, the lift is a scissors-style electric lift (which drains the boat's battery... another problem...) with a rotating platform and many places for small hands to go. This resulted in limiting the guests who rode the wheelchair boat to the guest in the wheelchair and their party (usually 4 people). The system has to be streamlined, and the lift has to be more effectively child-proofed. No one knows when it will be figured out, but they are working on it constantly, and every now and again they bring it out for testing. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, not that it's "coming soon!" but that it's "not here yet". As I have said before, when we do get it completely up and running, guest utilization will be determined on an individual basis, and it will be only for guests who can not transfer at all (not for broken/sprained ankles, canes, crutches, etc, which will still be serviced by regular boats designated to serve the wheelchair queue). The lift boats will not service the wheelchair queue, only guests with specific needs. I'll post any further info as soon as I am allowed to share.

Steve - I really appreciate your keeping us up-to-date on these things. It makes choosing where to go so much easier! I hope you have a goolishly good time at Haunted Mansion!!

Sue

Steve,

Please pass along our thanks to Disney for trying to work this and other access issues out. It is extremely difficult for us to transfer our son out of his chair and when we do, he has to sit in a special seat because he cannot sit up on his own and has to recline some or he will fall over.

Anyway, we can't tell you how much we appreciate the fact that Disney is trying to make more rides accessible for those who cannot transfer out of their wheelchairs.

Here's hoping that the lift on the Jungle Cruise will be working by late November. Our 7 year old will be thrilled. Now if only he could ride Thunder Mountain in his wheelchair his trip would be complete! (wishful thinking )

Thanks for the update, Steve. There are an enormous amount of things that all have to come together to get this going. We appreciate that it is even being tried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter