wheelchair loading question

old one

Dreams really do come true.
Hi everyone,

I hope you can give me some advise on what would be best for me to do?

I have a combination of conditions that require me to spend time both in and out of a wheelchair. In the past we have stayed off site and rented a car, so getting my chair to the park was never a problem.

This will be my first stay on property (Pop) and I am concerned about loading my chair on the buses. so much so that I am considering leaving my chair at home and just renting a chair each day. Since I understand that the buses drop you off at the front gate, walking to get rental a chair would not be a problem for me.

:sunny: Would it be worth the rental cost not to have to deal with loading a chair on the busses each day?
:sunny: If I do take my chair can I wait in the regular bus line or do I have to stay to the side? (I would really rather wait in line with everyone else. )

Also, I did not mention that I was bringing a chair when I made my room reservations. I did not see any need to do so since I do not need a special room. I did not think about the Disney bus from the airport. :sunny: Would I need to warn them that I have a wheelchair?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

If you check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board, there is some information about loading wheelchairs onto the bus.
It's really not that bad (although we don't have a choice since DD is not able to walk). You do need to wait where the driver can see you - not in the line. The reason for that is the driver sometimes needs to pull the bus into the stop in a particular way in order to be in the right location to load a wheelchair. The wheelchairs are loaded first before other passengers because you really need the extra room for manouvering the wheelchair.

For the Disney bus from the airport, you should let them know that you will have a wheelchair. They have a limited number of "spots" available to load wheelchairs onto the bus. If you don't notify them, you may have to wait longer for a bus. If you can climb onto the bus, they may be able to fold your wheelchair and load it with the luggage under the bus.

Thank you Sue.
Since I am able to transfer, do I still need to wait to the side? Can my husband just fold the chair and bring it on the bus like a stroller? I do not want to take up a wheelchair lock down space since I do not need it.

old one said:
Thank you Sue.
Since I am able to transfer, do I still need to wait to the side? Can my husband just fold the chair and bring it on the bus like a stroller? I do not want to take up a wheelchair lock down space since I do not need it.
Yes, you could do that according to information from WDW transportation CMs (the information about buses in the FAQs is from a bus CM).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter