Wheelchair Question

Eeyoresfriend

DisNut Supreme
My mom and I are going to WDW in Aug. She broke her foot last week and can not walk for 6 weeks without crutches or a wheelchair. What would be some advice you could give us. Would it be better if we rented a wheelchair before we left or is there a company we could rent on from when we get to WDW? I think renting from the parks could get quite expensive, also she'd have to turn it in when we left the park. I think she might need it while she is at the resort to. What should we do. Thanks for all your help
Tina

You may be better off renting an ECV, as pushing a wheelchair can get very tiresome, especially if you are not used to it. Also it depends on the weight of the passenger and the condition of the pusher(s). Some information for off-site rentals are:

Here are the urls:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five peices, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a termporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your mother's doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hand tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV.

Thanks for the help. We were not planning on renting a car but I think now that might be a wise choice. My mom suffers from Sarchoidosys <sp> she has to take prednisone and over the years it has made her bones weak so whe can fracture a bone just from walking to much. I have talked to her about getting an ECV but she wants me to push her around WDW in a wheelchair. I will do what she wants me to do cuz she's my mommy and I am a good daughter ;) Anyhow, she's a small woman and I am pretty fit so I could push her with no problem, plus my SO is coming with me so we can take turns. My mom and I are both celebrating our birthdays and I want her to have a great time plus be comfortable. I have been reading some of the stories here and it worries me about the rude people we may encounter. I won't let anyone be mean to her neither will my SO. Makes me wonder what this world is coming to. I never realized how self absorbed and mean people can be. It's a shame that people do not respect other people and their differences.
Once again thanks for the help and the links. I will try to persuade my mom into getting an ECV but if not oh well. One other question. What do I do with her crutches when we get on a ride. I know she'll have to transfer from the ECVor Wheelchair to the ride but she'll have to have her crutches to get on and off the ride.
Thanks again
Tina

Cheshire Figment already gave you most of the info you need. Where you can rent is the most important thing.
If you are staying at a WDW resort, you will be able to use the buses and monorails. Almost all the buses can carry up to 2 wheelchairs or ecvs.
For getting on and off rides, watch the boarding process while you are waiting to help you decide how it will be best for her to get on and what help she will need. For some rides, the CM can slow or stop the moving walkway while she gets on. The CMs can't physically assist in getting on and off, but they can do things like take her crutches and put them by her wheelchair after she gets on. When you get to the exit, don't be shy about telling the CM you need the chair or crutches brought closer. They want to be helpful, but they won't necessariy know what you need.
For some rides, she may have room to bring the crutches on the ride car with her. There are some rides where she can stay in the wheelchair. Here's a link to Mobility information. . If you scroll toward the bottom, you will find lists of rides where you can stay in the wheelchair and rides where you need to transfer out. To conserve energy, we try to alternate rides where DD can stay in her wheelchair with ones where she has to get out.

Hi Tina, I had knee surgery about a month ago and just got back froom my first experience at WDW in a wheelchair. I stayed at AKL and had the use of a wheelchair for the duration of my stay for free. they take your credit card number and if you don't return the chair, they charge you $250, but as long as you return it, they just throw away the number. I imagine the other resorts do the same...worth checking into for a free wheelchair!

Leslie

Thanks Leslie. I will call and see what their policy is. I am also going to Walkers Medical Supply too. Thanks for all the help ya'll. I told my mother about the rude people and she said Tina if you don't run them over they won't be rude and if they are rude for no reason then we'll have a reason to be rude right back at them. Mom never tolerates people that mistreat other people. Once again thanks for all the help.
Tina

From what other people have posted, the wheelchairs available from the resorts can't be reserved ahead of time. So you would not be assured that one is available until after you get there. It's a good deal (free vs renting one), but if you absolutely need one, you may need to rent.
I don't have the phone number here to be able to post it, but you could try calling WDW Special Reservations to see if the policy has changed about reserving a wheelchair. If you go to the main DIS information pages, and then go to the Disability access information, you can find it. They are the number listed for helping with equipment or special room requests that are needed because of a disability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter