wheelchair / stroller ?

nickiclour

Earning My Ears
My daughter's w/c does not fold up or recline so I was considering trying to rent a foldable , reclining stroller of some type from our local medical supply company to use on vacation. My question is this.....someone mentioned I do not need a GAC if I have a wheelchair, would one of those chairs like a PANDA be considered a w/c or will they consider that a stroller? Just wondering if they will give me a harder time gettting a GAC with a large stroller than with a w/c.

Sorry for all the questions, just a very nervous mom!

I believe with a stroller you need to get a pass. We used a wheelchair for my 4-year-old last July because WDW recommended it, even though my son does not use a wheelchair. His CP is mild but he cannot handle walking long distances or standing long durations. It was very helpful to us this way because we did not have to load and unload, and fold and unfold everytime we got on a bus or a ride. Of course it takes time to load the wheelchair but it just seemed to work better for us than dealing with the stroller. At shows/parades we always had a good view in the wheelchair sections. I don't think they will give you a hassle with a stroller as long as you have the pass. Other people may look at you funny, but that should not be a factor for you. You should do what you feel most comfortable with and enjy yourself!

I was a nervousmom too and it all worked out great!

Best wishes for a great trip!

poohcloud.gif
cross12.gif

What did you do when your 4 year old was ready for a nap?I can not see us going all the way back to the room nor can I see us taking an hour out of the day to just sit so she can get some shut eye. When my DD gets sleepy & falls asleep in her w/c, she slumps forward. Any suggestions would be grateful.

If you can rent a Panda or other such stroller, great, but you should still get the GAC to say that you can use the stroller as a wheelchair. many young CMs really don't know the difference between the special needs strollers and regular ones, and they may give you a bit of a hassle. Ditto for Bus drivers and parking folks.

If you need to recline, go ahead and get the stroller. Remember, if your *really* need to you can go to First Aid and use one of their beds for a short rest.

teri.GIF
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Just writing to agree with what teri had to say. Also, some of the mobility equipment that looks like a stroller is able to be tied down like a wheelchair for bus use and some is not. If you rent one, ask for documentation of whether or not it can be used for transport and where the tie down points are.
We used first aid for a rest after DD had a seizure and that worked quite well. Also, even though she doesn't have a reclining wheelchair, we have leaned hers back on my lap for a nap with no problems. Just tip up the anti-tip bars, put her backback on my lap for a pillow and then lean the wheelchair back. Worked quite well and she was comfortable.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Your support is awesome!!!!!!!!! Keep reading because there are many more questions to come!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter