wheelchairs

forgot - staying mostly Off-site this trip.

I can't be in WDW without visiting and staying at OKW - my home~

but most of this trip will be off-site~!

No one posted any experience in the past with that company, so I can't say one way or the other.
The ones DIS posters have posted experience with and would recommend are listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board.

Pat, out of curiosity why did your mom hate a scooter? I'm taking my mom for her first ever trip to WDW in Dec and plan on renting her a scooter. She has bad arthritis and absolutely no endurance, so there is no way she could do the walking required down there. She doesn't use anything at home, but is excited about renting an ECV down there. She's even said she's going to go to Wal Mart to get one of theirs to practice. She's not senile or anything, but does get flustered VERY easily. Do you think she might have trouble with an ECV?

Also one more question: I'm afraid I'm going to lose her down there and if I do, she will go into a total panic. Will I be able to stay with her for all the shows, parades, in the queus for rides, and in the lines for the buses? If I lose her, some CM is going to have a basket case on his hands!

That's a nice scooter ECV! Very nice! Can they put this scooter in Disney bus or does it have to be a certain ECV? I wouldn't mind renting one like that. I think my mom will do well in that. I need to check out that site again to get more infos on how to rent it. Thanks for the sharing that site!

yes, you can definitely stay with her. believe me the CM will go out of their way to make sure you stay with her. Including getting other people to move.

Mother had used the manual wheelchair (okay I like free) at WDW for years.

when one weekend at Seaworld some very nice people offered us their scooter - they were leaving and didn't want to turn it in that early.

so okay and I thanked them. Mother gets in and immediately starts having problem - she kept it and really, really tried - I think getting ahead of me helped her attitude. but in the Shaum stadium she got stuck (teenagers were surrounded her) and started to cry. I got it out - but that was it - she wasn't riding that THING any longer.

at my age I won't be able to push her much longer. THis trip my niece and nephew both young and strong are going to help (I hope).

Mother really shouldn't be going to WDW any longer. but she looks forward to these trips. That right now I can't tell her no you can't go.

but the writing is definitely on the wall.

lots of the time the handicapped seats are the worst in the house. So try not to disappointed where you will probably end up.

As I said my mom can walk, just not for long distances or a long time. Is there some place outside the shows where she could park a scooter and walk in, and the scooter be OK?

aubriee said:
Also one more question: I'm afraid I'm going to lose her down there and if I do, she will go into a total panic. Will I be able to stay with her for all the shows, parades, in the queus for rides, and in the lines for the buses? If I lose her, some CM is going to have a basket case on his hands!

Yes, the wheelchair Guest and up to five (to eight, to all) members of their party may stay together at attractions, shows, ride queues and usually the parades - although not if the area is especially crowded, but even then one person (yes, you) should be allowed to stand near/behind your mom).
As for buses, it depends on the driver. Last time I took a Disney bus with friends, once I was in the bus they walked over to the front door and waited. Then the driver told them they could have boarded with me :)

aubriee said:
As I said my mom can walk, just not for long distances or a long time. Is there some place outside the shows where she could park a scooter and walk in, and the scooter be OK?

Usually, yes. Keep an eye on the weather - the rental places get really unhappy if the ECV gets wet; also, some attractions will NOT permit an ECV inside the building. She'll be directed where to park and then she can walk in or transfer to a wheelchair with you pushing her.

To the OP, when a resort only tells you about ONE company to rent from it really makes me think, kick back . Could be wrong but who knows. we have used Care medical in the past and will use them again this year.

If you check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board, you will find a lot of info about how things (like the buses) work with wheelchairs and/or ECVs.
There are also links to the official Disney Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities for ewach park.
For the places that don't allow ECVs, it's either because ECVs are too big for the space or the boarding and exit of the ride are in 2 places and the ECV can't be transferred between them. The Guidebooks list which attractions can totally accomidate ECVs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter