When 2042 comes along

DisMomKY

Mouseketeer
What do we think will happen for those with resale contracts that expire after that? Will we only be able to use BLT, Poly, GF, and Saratoga? Or will OKW still be included since they offered the extended contract

I would guess that at least a quarter of OKW would still be available for use (or whatever % matches the number of 2057 owners). They technically own the property, and the right to trade into and out of it.

Thats still a long time off but if todays DVC management has any say about it the 2042 resorts will be remodeled, resold as new, and DROPPED from allowed booking for resale contracts.

I highly doubt 2042 resorts will be available for use by members come 2043, with the exception of part of OKW, since it has been extended.

I think different 2042 resorts will be treated differently, but, for example, why would they let DVC members use Boulder Ridge when they could simply rent those rooms out for cash until the want to take action on those villas?

I highly doubt 2042 resorts will be available for use by members come 2043, with the exception of part of OKW, since it has been extended.

I think different 2042 resorts will be treated differently, but, for example, why would they let DVC members use Boulder Ridge when they could simply rent those rooms out for cash until the want to take action on those villas?

I could think of one reason. If people trade into them, then they could rent out the rooms that people traded out of, at newer resorts, for more cash! I'm sure the people in charge of this have looked over many different options and will decide on the one that makes them the most money.

I could think of one reason. If people trade into them, then they could rent out the rooms that people traded out of, at newer resorts, for more cash! I'm sure the people in charge of this have looked over many different options and will decide on the one that makes them the most money.
Any trading like this would need to be through the Disney Collection, thus only qualified points could do so as the rules are currently allowing. It can't work like trading to it now does, because come January 31, 2042 BRV, BWV, etc. all cease to be members of DVC (thus can't participate in the club and exchange programs). The only way to keep exchanges as they are now would be to extend the land lease (as the contracts are written with BVTC expire with that) so that would open up the same can of worms opened up with OKW.

Though I agree DVC will do whatever brings them in more cash. So if they do the BRV exchange it will be the same $95 fee as now, slightly higher point charts (not crazy high) then Disney gets your better location points to rent out higher (similar to how they function trading into CBR for example). So on both ends it takes a little from the owners; however, it can benefit owners by providing a way to use points when it might be distressed to get another room.

I thought of that, it just seems like an accounting mess.
Come 2042, as things stand now, NO ONE owns at Boulder Ridge, so Disney is now responsible for the maintenance and housekeeping of it. Not that they cant take it from another resort, just seems like a lot of paperwork. Also, and it might just be a technicality, but isnt the DVD land lease up? Of course if it is, I would guess Disney could extend it to themselves. But of course, they are going to do what makes them the most money.

Where I think it gets derailed is that the new resorts are getting point hungry. so its also not, I trade out of Riviera for a night and get a night at Bounder Ridge, you get 1.2 nights (or whatever).
I give up my 5 nights at DRR and get 6 an BRV.

Could be anything, will be interesting to see. I hope we do have access to some of the 2042 resorts, I'd love to be wrong.

It would be a huge upfront expense for Disney to close, remodel, and then resell all those resorts at once (or even within an 8 year timeframe). I have no idea what they will actually do, but will be curious to see what they decide. In the meantime, I am planning to only stay at my home resort(s) anywhere further than 3-5 years out, just to be prepared.

It would be a huge upfront expense for Disney to close, remodel, and then resell all those resorts at once (or even within an 8 year timeframe). I have no idea what they will actually do, but will be curious to see what they decide. In the meantime, I am planning to only stay at my home resort(s) anywhere further than 3-5 years out, just to be prepared.
That is one thing I do not think they will do by any means, just like you said, too much money. Plus, if those rooms become DVC again, too much inventory to sell at one time. That's why I picked Boulder Ridge as my example, as I think thats low on the priority list. Beach club on the other hand, they are probably licking their lips to get their hands on that again and resell it with a good increase in points per night. The Boardwalk after.

If I'm here in 2042, I'll be happy enough.

I thought of that, it just seems like an accounting mess.
Come 2042, as things stand now, NO ONE owns at Boulder Ridge, so Disney is now responsible for the maintenance and housekeeping of it. Not that they cant take it from another resort, just seems like a lot of paperwork. Also, and it might just be a technicality, but isnt the DVD land lease up? Of course if it is, I would guess Disney could extend it to themselves. But of course, they are going to do what makes them the most money.

Where I think it gets derailed is that the new resorts are getting point hungry. so its also not, I trade out of Riviera for a night and get a night at Bounder Ridge, you get 1.2 nights (or whatever).
I give up my 5 nights at DRR and get 6 an BRV.

Could be anything, will be interesting to see. I hope we do have access to some of the 2042 resorts, I'd love to be wrong.
I’d imagine they’d have to extend some of the “less desirable” resorts so that they don’t take that huge hit in 2042

I’d imagine they’d have to extend some of the “less desirable” resorts so that they don’t take that huge hit in 2042
I would not count on that, they tried to extend OKW and look how that turned out.

And they do not have to take a hit. Just hand the rooms over to the cash side of the operations. Rooms get occupied by people paying cash. We shall see....

And they do not have to take a hit. Just hand the rooms over to the cash side of the operations. Rooms get occupied by people paying cash. We shall see....
BCV is easy to shutter/tear down to buy them time. BRV can be shuttered too (even torn down as it really only has the gym). BWV is the only one they really need to maintain operations on since it is so tied in with the cash side.

Personally I suspect we see BWV get an extensive refurbishment and be the first put up for sale. I would also suspect Disney tears down the BCV and makes no announcement on what will happen with that resort. Then when BWV is up for sale BRV will get it's refurbishment (if they don't decide to remove it from the inventory completely, with CCV and Reflections its possible) and might be sold with the same expiration date at CCV to get those to expire at the same time (then have resort to market "cheaper" but realistically more expensive given its time to expiration). Once those both are near sold out you finally hear about BCV in that it's being rebuilt and opening as a new resort.

This allows them to do Epcot->MK->Epcot cycle and seems the most cost effective and recession proof. Since BWV needs to be the one they offload the quickest because it simply can't be put into minimum maintenance mode.

All of the 2042 resorts have issues involving the land lease, as well as the idea that "extension" retains the current conditions of BVT membership, and current point charts.

They will allow them to expire January 31. They may have some new inception on February 1, but it won't be an extension. They'll be new associations, written as such, and written to align with the world as it exists by then. Travel is likely to be costlier, summers hotter, hurricane season longer.

And as far as that last... Vero and HHI will be sold off for whatever they are worth.

I would not count on that, they tried to extend OKW and look how that turned out.

That’s true. I was just thinking how bad that would suck for people who buy say CCV resale. They’d have all those people at the end fighting for studios since most people don’t budget for points for the cabins

I am going to go with Disney builds new resorts more in line with RIV and the future Reflections to replace the rooms for the 2042 resorts. When the day comes, BCV and BW are redeveloped/torn down as an extension to Epcot.
Now, as I said before I see a bigger development potential with an expansion of Epcot and resorts with more amenities with extended Skyliner access to Epcot. There is more money in this idea than to renovate BTW.
You don't have to agree with me but my outlook is a real possibility because it will be cheaper for Disney to start new than to renovate. By the time new resorts are built with more space and amenities these 2 resorts alone will not be in a position to stand against them.
As I am in the business, hearing from others in the construction, development, architectural, engineering and real estate industries to what they see in Disney's development future would be good.

In the 2000s, DVD built BRV, BCV, SSR, VGC, AKL and BLT followed by AUL, PVB, VGF, CCVC, and DRR in the 2010s. I expect the 2020s and 2030s will produce their fair share of new DVC resorts as well so the expiration of the 2042 resorts shouldn't matter much (except maybe to owners at those resorts) in the overall scheme of things.

If Disney continues the resale restrictions going forward, the pool of available non-home resort rooms to book will shrink pretty dramatically for restricted resale owners in 2042 and beyond. But 20 years is still a long time and I wouldn't be unduly concerned about 2042 at this point.

In the 2000s, DVD built BRV, BCV, SSR, VGC, AKL and BLT followed by AUL, PVB, VGF, CCVC, and DRR in the 2010s. I expect the 2020s and 2030s will produce their fair share of new DVC resorts as well so the expiration of the 2042 resorts shouldn't matter much (except maybe to owners at those resorts) in the overall scheme of things.

If Disney continues the resale restrictions going forward, the pool of available non-home resort rooms to book will shrink pretty dramatically for restricted resale owners in 2042 and beyond. But 20 years is still a long time and I wouldn't be unduly concerned about 2042 at this point.
I’m sure we won’t care as much when that point comes. We could probably sell our SSR for a little bit and purchase whatever new resort we were interested in in the 2030s

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!