When and What's Happening at Hilton Head and the Low Country in April, (and now May) 2020

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
(cue the crickets)

Like most places, HH has had Executive Orders from the SC Governor and Town Mayor closing beaches, most stores, restaurants (pickup only), theaters, and most service oriented businesses.

The DVC Resort voluntarily closed and a number of other resorts have done the same thing. Tourism is way down with events like the Heritage Golf Classic postponed until June (which will now be a virtual tourney without spectators - except via TV) and all USTA tennis leagues and tournaments canceled until further notice. Most golf courses are still open and trying to observe social distancing by limiting golf carts to one passenger (except for related passengers). All boat launch facilities are closed.

As of this morning, SC has had 3,656 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 107 deaths statewide. Beaufort County has had 205 confirmed cases including 7 deaths. 3 of those have been HHI residents (all 75+).

The average air temp is now 75 and the ocean temp today is 68 degrees.

Once everything opens back up, the summer ocean temps will have risen into the mid-80s with air temps as high or higher.

Stay safe until you can get back down here! :)

I have a reservation for the last week of June through July 5th. I am not cancelling because we are driving, so no biggie. We know the whole trip is up in the air. Even if the resort opens, if there are still quarantine orders for folks who come from hot spots, then we will not be able to come. All we do is sit and wait, no excitement, just sit in limbo.

Currently, the quarantine affects only those coming from 'hot spots' for a 2 week quarantine. Those arriving from other areas are subject to this policy - but, right now, we are basically quarantined here on HH since there is little else to do other than long walks and bike rides.

Hopefully, things will continue to improve over the coming weeks - for everyone!

Still holding out hope for our Memorial day trip!
I think your trip will have an 85% chance of taking place. Our Governor is lifting the order to open beaches and the rest of the retail stores effective Tuesday....

(cue the crickets)

Like most places, HH has had Executive Orders from the SC Governor and Town Mayor closing beaches, most stores, restaurants (pickup only), theaters, and most service oriented businesses.

The DVC Resort voluntarily closed and a number of other resorts have done the same thing. Tourism is way down with events like the Heritage Golf Classic postponed until June (which will now be a virtual tourney without spectators - except via TV) and all USTA tennis leagues and tournaments canceled until further notice. Most golf courses are still open and trying to observe social distancing by limiting golf carts to one passenger (except for related passengers). All boat launch facilities are closed.

As of this morning, SC has had 3,656 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 107 deaths statewide. Beaufort County has had 205 confirmed cases including 7 deaths. 3 of those have been HHI residents (all 75+).

The average air temp is now 75 and the ocean temp today is 68 degrees.

Once everything opens back up, the summer ocean temps will have risen into the mid-80s with air temps as high or higher.

Stay safe until you can get back down here! :)

Our reservations aren't until November. It sounds promising for us! PLEASE don't let my 15th consecutive Thanksgiving at DHHIR get cancelled. It wouldn't be the same without our Signe's pie, and I KNOW Guy's looking forward to the golf. Fortunately he found a previous showing of the Heritage Golf Classic on TV.

I have a reservation for the last week of June through July 5th. I am not cancelling because we are driving, so no biggie. We know the whole trip is up in the air. Even if the resort opens, if there are still quarantine orders for folks who come from hot spots, then we will not be able to come. All we do is sit and wait, no excitement, just sit in limbo.

We have a HHI trip that same week. Not at Disney's property though. Definitely a wait see thing right now.

We have a HHI trip that same week. Not at Disney's property though. Definitely a wait see thing right now.
Hope to see you in the Carolina’s soon!! Bring your $$$$😆😅😂 We need the revenue😁

Our reservations aren't until November. It sounds promising for us! PLEASE don't let my 15th consecutive Thanksgiving at DHHIR get cancelled. It wouldn't be the same without our Signe's pie, and I KNOW Guy's looking forward to the golf. Fortunately he found a previous showing of the Heritage Golf Classic on TV.

Not trying to put a damper on your optimism, but you need to hope there isn't a second wave.

LAX

Not trying to put a damper on your optimism, but you need to hope there isn't a second wave.

LAX

That's why I hope and pray for a SLOW, controlled reopening of things. Also, I'd welcome a vaccine, or at the very least, improved treatments.

I hope my Mother in laws Senior community in Hilton Head stays on lockdown with the tourists coming in. They don't need to die for people to get a beach fix.

Hope to see you in the Carolina’s soon!! Bring your $$$$😆😅😂 We need the revenue😁
I hope my Mother in laws Senior community in Hilton Head stays on lockdown with the tourists coming in. They don't need to die for people to get a beach fix.

Serious question: are you okay with the idea of tourists coming in July?
We have a trip pushed back from late June, new week is mid July. My sister is coming from New York, but she worked from home/self isolated in early March before a visit to see a newborn grandchild, and has been working from home 100% since getting back.
We live in GA, but have no plans to go bowling tonight!
My mom would be coming from Florida. She’s been hiking and kayaking a lot, and has been pretty good with the social distancing lately.

Would we even be allowed to come by then? If my sister is confined to the rental house, that’s just not going to work. If my mom can’t walk on the beach, that won’t work. We’ll be happy to bring groceries with us if needed. If we can safely rent bikes, that could be a spend beyond the rental itself.
I have tons of beach blankets and could create a 6 ft perimeter so that we’re not crowding up on others at the beach.
At least 2 of the restaurants we wanted to visit are doing takeout so we’ll be helping spend some that way.
Is this responsible enough?

Serious question: are you okay with the idea of tourists coming in July?
We have a trip pushed back from late June, new week is mid July. My sister is coming from New York, but she worked from home/self isolated in early March before a visit to see a newborn grandchild, and has been working from home 100% since getting back.
We live in GA, but have no plans to go bowling tonight!
My mom would be coming from Florida. She’s been hiking and kayaking a lot, and has been pretty good with the social distancing lately.

Would we even be allowed to come by then? If my sister is confined to the rental house, that’s just not going to work. If my mom can’t walk on the beach, that won’t work. We’ll be happy to bring groceries with us if needed. If we can safely rent bikes, that could be a spend beyond the rental itself.
I have tons of beach blankets and could create a 6 ft perimeter so that we’re not crowding up on others at the beach.
At least 2 of the restaurants we wanted to visit are doing takeout so we’ll be helping spend some that way.
Is this responsible enough?

At this point we are not planning on going in July like we always do, I am hoping for Thanksgiving. My biggest fear is that my Sister in Law decides that since tourists are coming in that it is safe for my MiL to go to the beach and shopping etc. If they keep the retirement community locked down I won't worry near as much. I know the restaurants my family likes, and I can't see how they can make them safe--Sunrise Cafe, even with all the outdoor seating is always packed seating and people waiting for a table. Hudson's and Skull Creek are just as bad. Salty Dog at the Outlets doesn't pack their tables together near as much, but AC distributes the coronovirus as it blows. It is just scary. So far no one in her retirement community has come down with it, but she says she is pretty sure she has seen people sneaking off campus and with tourists coming in it will easily get into their community. Like I said though, it is my SiL and BiL deciding that things are safe because of tourists coming in the scares me the most.

Oh, as much as I like the dock at Hudson’s, we’re planning on getting takeout! My mom is 77, and my MIL has diabetes, so we’ll be doing all kinds of social distancing from everyone but our traveling party. (MIL isn’t coming on this trip, but we don’t want to bring home germs.)

Oh, our rental is a VRBO, not DVC. We needed a 3 bedroom unit for this trip and we don’t have that quantity of points.

I realize the safest option is hunker down, but I’m trying to identify a way to still go on vacation, spend money there, see my family, not have any of us want to murder each other (this is why the beach being available to whole group is vital), but minimize risk TO us and FROM us.

I’m okay with whatever risk anyone wants to take. We have to all be willing to stand up for our choices either way. If you’re comfortable being here and know what you’re risking, it’s okay with me. At the end of it all you have to be okay with the outcome. I liken it to my favorite books growing up! The choose your own ending ones 😂. I’ve probably dated myself but it is the truth!

Hope your trip goes off without a hitch!!

I looked up the stats for SC, and they have had somewhere around 5000 cases, which is 0.1% of their population. I really hope DHHIR can reopen soon! If it's not open by the time our trip comes around, we may rent a condo (probably in Palmetto Dunes).

I'm curious to see what will happen too. I have memorial day week booked and I'm torn between rescheduling to the fall but I really want to get out of this house.

Just looked at the calendar and we are scheduled to be checking in in 2 and 1/2 weeks. Anyone have thoughts on how and when Disney will communicate if HHI will be open or shut for Memorial Day?

I’m from UK and came to HHI 9 years ago. I’m hopefully coming back summer next year and staying in the DVC.
You live in a beautiful place.
Just seen you on DVC show BTW- good job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!