When are you planning to return to DLR?

We had planned on a spring break trip the third week of March, nope.
Then we had planned a trip for last week of May, nada.
And then, there was the second week of August, didn't happen.
We have not had a vacation in several years, the wife really needs one! She needs a Disney Trip! We had planned a couple trips last year that were all cancelled for business reasons. We refuse to go to WDW cause the better half hates it with a passion. Nothing can match DL, PERIOD! Nothing! It truly changes the wife, just being there. It enhances her CALM, so to speak. It just takes a few minutes of walking down Main Street USA, window shopping. Looking at the castle or watching a DL character appear and start to interact with a park guest. I have watched the change occur numerous times, It is a good thing, yes it is!
DL really, really, really needs to reopen for the sake of the sanity of it's regular guests! WDW has reopened and it has not had any adverse effects on the human race. We will be going back to DL shortly after the reopening truly happens. As long as there is not a scheduling conflict with a client of course. The wife truly needs a DisneyLand Fix, so to speak. Last week she booked a trip for us to Branson, Mo! Yes, Branson Mo, she already purchased tickets to two Dinner Shows and a comedy show of some sorts. Aaahhrrgg! I feel like Gomez Adams when the school councilor told him his children needed to act NORMAL! A week in Branson watching music shows? What is the world coming to?
DL needs to reopen! Yes, we will be there shortly afterwards to enjoy it!. four or five days at the DLH or the Grand, several character meals. Some quality pictures with Mickey, Minnie, & Goofy and our lives will be close to being back to normal. It really needs to happen! :hyper2:

I've been wrestling with this myself and this is more a question for those who don't have current (ever inching back) reservations.

I'm tentatively planning on making hotel reservations for early November 2021 when they are made available (off site), but I'm also considering skipping next year and going in late February 2022, which is our usual time to visit DLR yearly. No way I would consider February 2021 with the way things are going currently with COVID, but I do hope for others that CA allows theme parks some re-opening with safety guidelines by then. The vaccine news by April 2021 by the CDC yesterday is kind of a downer. I had hoped the first of the year or early spring for a vaccine and would feel better traveling after it's been out a bit.

What are your thoughts and reasoning here?

We have CDN resident tickets that we were supposed to use in March. Right now it’s impossible to know when we will go. It won’t be until after Canada no longer requires 14 days of isolation upon return and I expect that won’t happen until there is widespread distribution of a vaccine

We will come as soon as the park goes back to normal, so probably not for a few years. March was suppose to be our 3rd ever trip. We have our tickets but are going to just wait. It’s a very rare trip for us so we want it special. We actually ended up with Covid. It wasn’t that bad. My youngest and I had it the worst and it was a bad cough. Honey was the best medicine. I have zero fears about Covid.

My plan right now is to go in Feb 2021. However if they reopen and I can get a reservation I may go sooner. We can drive there and my daughter is doing distance learning. So I figure we can basically go whenever.

I’d like to go as close to reopening as possible. I was hoping for mid-October or around Thanksgiving, but I’m not sure that’s realistic at this point.

> When are you planning to return to DLR?

I’ve returned every Sunday since they closed and am disappointed each and every time when I arrive and no one’s there. It makes rope drop exceptionally anticlimactic. Maybe I should check the app — or, you know, maybe even the news — the next time to avoid being disappointed and annoyed. But each Sunday I wake up and say to myself “They’ve *got* to be open this weekend. This time I’m sure.” Eventually I’ll be right, I ‘spose. But until then, it’s a whole lotta work! ;-).
(Yes, this is a joke).

Last edited:
Yes, we will be there shortly afterwards to enjoy it!. four or five days at the DLH or the Grand, several character meals. Some quality pictures with Mickey, Minnie, & Goofy and our lives will be close to being back to normal. It really needs to happen! :hyper2:

Just to make sure your wife will find and keep her calm, you do realize that character dinners and quality pictures with characters will be probably not be available for a while after reopening.

Currently, WDW has cancelled all character dinners, I believe?
They do have character cavalcades and characters are riding by or floating by on the water, to waive at the guests.

I do hope for DL that they follow DLP's example and install selfiespots with characters. It is definitely not what it was, but you can have some interaction with characters, just no hugs and autographs. For the time being it works as a replacement for me.

If characters are an important aspect of your trips, you might not want to go shortly after reopening.

I honestly don’t know. We have hotel reservations for Thanksgiving, so I’d like to say then, but I will have to see what things look like then. I also have reservations for Spring Break if Nov is a no go. It may stretch out as far as Nov 2021 though.

I'm not sure. I am hoping by 2023 at the latest. I will not return until all is back to normal. I would love to get to do Candlelight one more time ideally with some of you friends on here :) I'd also so enjoy doing the Easter egg hunt and maybe this time seeing Rabbit and some other rarer characters! All things I look forward to with a smile and extra thanks to God :)

@WonkaKid , that trip report you did shortly after closing was HILARIOUS. Even more hilarious when not everyone realized you were joking!
Thank you! Yes, I agree: hard to believe that some people thought I was serious. Who would actually try something like that? The first reply was something along the lines of “Is this supposed to be funny?” Whoever that was sounds like a bundle of laughs. .

Last edited:
Hoping to go for Christmas Eve and Christmas. Depends on the ticket/reservation situation though. We don't have tickets and have no idea what it's going to look like when the open (and if we'll even be able to buy). We're close enough that we can drive and our hotel is refundable - so we can wait it out to see what happens as it gets closer to December. Fingers crossed!

Thank you! Yes, I agree: hard to believe that some people thought I was serious. Who would actually try something like that? The first reply was something along the lines of “Is this supposed to be funny?” Whoever that was sounds like a ton of fun.
To be honest, when I read it for the first time, I was in doubt whether or not it was true, as I thought you would be crazy enough to do it 🙃

There was a time when I was ;-).

Incidentally, The Moth is an open-mic storytelling event that’s done in 60+ cities across the country. There’s a syndicated radio show and a weekly podcast. If your name is chosen from the hat (ten are chosen out of about 32, give or take), you have five minutes to tell your own true story that‘s on the night’s theme. That night it was “persuasion” and I told the story of how I snuck backstage at a Van Halen concert... by persuading several people that I was supposed to be there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!