When can you transfer points?

DisMomKY

Mouseketeer
If I have say an April use year and a June use year for the same home resort and want to use them to book and October trip would I be able to transfer the June 2020 points to April use year in February or would I have to wait til June?

You can transfer points for the current UY and the new one. So, since we are in the June 2019 UY, you could call today and have your 2019 or 2020 UY points transferred to your April UY.

Just a reminder, once you transfer them, you can not use them to book online with your April UY points. You will have to call MS to book for you. If you want to change the trip that uses transferred points, you will have to call MS.

If you want to be able to book your stay online without the call, then you simply can book part of your stay in each membership, and ask them to link the reservations so you don't have to change rooms.

When you have two different use years and want to use them both to reserve one vacation, you have two options. One is to use one use year to reserve the first part of the trip and the other to reserve the other part, and then contact MS and have it link the two reservations, which avoids having to change rooms.

The second option is to transfer points from one use year to another. At any given point in time, you are allowed to transfer points from the use year you are currently in or the next use year. Thus, in your situation, for reserving that Oct 2020 trip, you could have made that transfer of those April 2020 points into the Feb 2020 use year as early as April 1, 2019.

Since you will be trying for Oct time (all of Oct is part of DVC's high demand season), in choosing which method you will attempt to use to make a reservation, you should be aware that that at exactly 7 months out, you can attempt your reservation online at 8 a.m. eastern but cannot call to make any such reservation until 9 a.m. The method of making two separate reservations for your trip and then linking them can be attempted at 8 a.m. although it requires two different openings.

You cannot use transferred points for a reservation via making an online reservation. You have to call MS at 9 to do the reservation. If you do the transfer into the Feb use year, you should thus also plan to do the following to minimize the effects of losing that one hour in being able to make a reservation at 7 months out, which one hour difference for Oct time can mean the difference between getting and not getting a reservation. You should go online at 8 a.m. at 7 months out and attempt to reserve part of the time you want with Feb points; if you get the reservation, you can then call to try to modify it with the transferred points at 9 a.m.

Note that if what you actually want to do is make a reservation of your home resort, you are already within your 11 month window, and thus you could make the two separate reservations now, or do the transfer now and call MS to make the reservaiton. Moreover, if that is your situation you should do the reservation today because the longer you wait to reserve Oct, the higher the chance rooms will disappear.

Last edited:
I am also confused about this.
I have March 2020 points that I am looking to transfer. Can I transfer them now or do I have to wait until 3/1/20?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts