When cruising starts again.

caryrae

Mouseketeer
So if cruises can start up again Nov 1st how long will it really take until the ships and crews are ready to sail? Obviously they can’t just start sailing right away since the ships have been sitting for so long. They need to be stocked with supplies, crew needs to come back, etc.

The Royal Caribbean ships that are docked just outside of Miami are staffed (enough for initial sailings and then wait for more staff to return) and seem ready to go. They come into port of Miami periodically and have supply chain on hand ready for notice of sailing, with limitations of course and not full capacity sailing.

So probably not every ship will start sailing right away so do you think Royal knows now which ones they will use first or do they have to wait and see what the rules will be?

The Royal Caribbean ships that are docked just outside of Miami are staffed (enough for initial sailings and then wait for more staff to return) and seem ready to go. They come into port of Miami periodically and have supply chain on hand ready for notice of sailing, with limitations of course and not full capacity sailing.

Port St. Martin right now and earlier there were 4 ships. These 3 have been tied up for days.

https://www.portstmaartenwebcam.com/
So probably not every ship will start sailing right away so do you think Royal knows now which ones they will use first or do they have to wait and see what the rules will be?

I expect ALL Cruise Companies have plans in place for ships to be activated as ports and destinations open.

if I had to guess I would say the Oasis class ships since they are the largest for social distancing AND they are the ones we see most often coming into port miami these days.

Yes, I've heard they would likely send out 2-4 ships to start. Prediction of a month notice to get some employees back on board and things in ready to go condition.

I’ve been watching videos of a pretty popular guy who is also a travel agent saying it would take minimum 30 days to get cruises set up to cruise once they get the ok to sail. They need to get ports ready with the new protocols, rest of crew needs fly In, get tested and then quarantine for 14 days plus learn all the new protocols. He believes even if cruises can start again Nov 1st it probably won’t be until December when they are actually ready to go.

while i don't disagree that it will take time, i feel it will depend on the location of the port and will vary by cruise line. Royal Caribbean specifically is well positioned to sail almost immediately since they're headquarters in Miami and a lot of staff remained local when the lockdown began. RC also has two private island options they can sail to nearby that don't require special permission from local government due to covid red tape for all the precautions you mentioned above, and i suppose some bribes, sorry, i mean expedite fees. :rolleyes1 Perfect day at Coco Cay is an amazing destination with lots to do so even short trips are very viable for RC.

while i don't disagree that it will take time, i feel it will depend on the location of the port and will vary by cruise line. Royal Caribbean specifically is well positioned to sail almost immediately since they're headquarters in Miami and a lot of staff remained local when the lockdown began. RC also has two private island options they can sail to nearby that don't require special permission from local government due to covid red tape for all the precautions you mentioned above, and i suppose some bribes, sorry, i mean expedite fees. :rolleyes1 Perfect day at Coco Cay is an amazing destination with lots to do so even short trips are very viable for RC.
100% they will be doing short private island sailings to start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!