When did sports team uniforms become so convoluted?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I'm kind of a traditionalist. I remember when baseball uniforms were home whites and road grays. Football used to be home team in a primary color and road team in white, although some teams like the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys had a different tradition to wear white at home. Other sports might allow variations, such as home team in yellow or light gray with road team in a primary color. However, the idea what that the home team is wearing the lighter color.

I'm watching a hockey game now where I was doing a double take because the home team is wearing white. I've seen some NBA games where both teams were wearing different dark primary colors. I'd hate to be color blind watching that.

And don't get me started with University of Oregon football.

I'm kind of a traditionalist. I remember when baseball uniforms were home whites and road grays. Football used to be home team in a primary color and road team in white, although some teams like the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys had a different tradition to wear white at home. Other sports might allow variations, such as home team in yellow or light gray with road team in a primary color. However, the idea what that the home team is wearing the lighter color.

I'm watching a hockey game now where I was doing a double take because the home team is wearing white. I've seen some NBA games where both teams were wearing different dark primary colors. I'd hate to be color blind watching that.

It started about 20-30 years ago when teams would add a 3rd "special" uniform (often black or other dark color). Now teams seem to be trying to outdo each other on how "cool" their alternate uniforms are. If that's what they want to spend their money on, ok. If you think about it, as long as there is enough contrast between the two teams, so it doesn't cause confusion with players or officials, why does it really matter?

My kids play soccer. For school soccer, the home team is supposed to be in a dark color, with visitors in white (or light). For club, it's reversed. School soccer just changed this year and the reasoning given was so home teams could have special uniforms at home games if they wanted.

I don't understand what the big deal is, as long as I can tell which team is which while I'm watching them, what does it matter?

I don't understand what the big deal is, as long as I can tell which team is which while I'm watching them, what does it matter?

Yep, agreed. Who cares? The uniform they're wearing has nothing to do with the product on the field/rink/whatever. For what it's worth, I like the variety of uniforms, but again it's very trivial. Have to say the color rush jersey the LA Rams have used make them look like giant bananas :banana:.

When I saw the title of your thread and your Avatar i had to laugh, you delivered in your last line.

The Oregon Ducks figured this out before many other teams, and it's become a trend since. The younger fans and players loved it, the older "curmudgeon" fans didn't and wanted their tradition. But those fans don't buy uniforms, the younger ones do and that makes them money. The biggest factor was recruiting, the players loved it and the image that it created. The players were given a lot of say in the design, combinations and future designs. At it's peak the Jerseys were selling nation wide, this is probably what drove many PAC12 fans nuts, I ran into friends who were going crazy that their kid wanted an Oregon jersey and they were life long fans of Nebraska, Ohio State, etc..

I will say there were some of our older Oregon fans who didn't like it either, so you're not alone. But you can't deny it had an impact on College Football.

and yes... Go Ducks!

When I saw the title of your thread and your Avatar i had to laugh, you delivered in your last line.

The Oregon Ducks figured this out before many other teams, and it's become a trend since. The younger fans and players loved it, the older "curmudgeon" fans didn't and wanted their tradition. But those fans don't buy uniforms, the younger ones do and that makes them money. The biggest factor was recruiting, the players loved it and the image that it created. The players were given a lot of say in the design, combinations and future designs. At it's peak the Jerseys were selling nation wide, this is probably what drove many PAC12 fans nuts, I ran into friends who were going crazy that their kid wanted an Oregon jersey and they were life long fans of Nebraska, Ohio State, etc..

I will say there were some of our older Oregon fans who didn't like it either, so you're not alone. But you can't deny it had an impact on College Football.

and yes... Go Ducks!

Well the Ducks did keep their traditional trophy case.
the-england-trophy-cabinet-has-been-listed-as-for-sale-on-an-internet-sales-site-image-6-133605616.jpg

The best (i.e. worst) uniforms were the home version of the Vancouver Canucks NHL team in the early 80s.

Dave "Tiger" Williams doesn't look too good in yellow. The black road version was much better.

6645702.jpg
Do3qUZPXoAAHqky.jpg

I was actually going to comment on the Canucks uniforms from the '80s. Being an avid Flyers fan, I remember seeing it fairly often. The Flyers took a west coast road trip every year between Xmas and New Years and I'd always watch the game.

My kids play soccer. For school soccer, the home team is supposed to be in a dark color, with visitors in white (or light). For club, it's reversed. School soccer just changed this year and the reasoning given was so home teams could have special uniforms at home games if they wanted.

Ohio soccer did the same thing (e.g. changed from white to dark for home teams) and I hadn't heard an explanation before, but that makes sense now. I know my son's high school team purchased third 'kits' for special games this year (which they were allowed to keep, as opposed to the regular uniforms which had to be given back).

It never hurts to have Nike in your hometown if you're going to start a trend with uniforms ;)

and yes... Go Ducks!

That said, nobody recruits better than Alabama & uniforms don’t come more traditional than that.

Still, I enjoy seeing a lot of the new looks.

I'm an Oakland A's fan. Our uniforms have been convoluted for 50 years. In the 1970's other MLB teams followed suit. So most of my life the uniforms have been crazy. But teams like to change up their uniforms frequently so they can boost sales of swag to fans.

I tried watching a soccer match. The home team was wearing the colors I normally see on the away team. I couldn't figure out who was who.

Reading this thread and thinking of my son, who is a pitcher, all I can think of is how much more important fit is than design. I hate to see him have to pull the shirt sleeve up at the shoulder before every pitch, as it means it's annoying to him and therefore distracting - he only does this with certain shirts. He also overheats when it's hot, and sometimes doesn't like to wear a tee shirt underneath - I've seen heavy chafe marks on his skin when the material was thick and harsh. I think some of the newer shirts are an improvement over the older styles in terms of comfort. A lot of what they buy has to do with companies teams are affiliated with - they buy not only uniforms but equipment and team clothing, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter