When do kids go back to school in California?

You get me worried!

So, moving my trip to the end of August to get a better rate for the Disney cruise we will do after visiting DL was not my best idea? :( I forgot about D23 probably being the weekend before we arrive.

Plan is now for 2020:
Arriving at DL Sunday evening August 24th, leaving Thursday evening 28th...

Any insight? Or with 4 full days and 1 half day, Maxpass and a plan we will be fine to face the end of August crowds?
End of August of any year brings up certain trip planning issues:
Make sure to check the AP blockout calendar for that year -- the lower AP summer blackouts don't all end on the same day for the same park. The week before and the week after a major blockout can bring on the crowds as APs flock to the parks to get their last visits in and to see the parks after a long time away.
School calendars that affect DLR involve CA (Southern and Northern), OR, WA, NV, AZ, UT -- you get the picture: there are a LOT of school districts that can affect crowds at DLR. Trying to plan a trip that isn't affected by one district or another is complicated.
HM usually goes down for the NBC overlay sometime around the third week of August and comes back up at the start of Halloween Time. If this ride really matters to you, visit before the third week of August.
DLR tends to go to the non-peak schedule around the last week of August. That means shorter hours, less staffing, more refurbs, fewer ride vehicles running, nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc. If you want to see fireworks and F!, plan for at least one weekend night (more to make your scheduling easier).

Make sure to check the AP blockout calendar for that year -- the lower AP summer blackouts don't all end on the same day for the same park. The week before and the week after a major blockout can bring on the crowds as APs flock to the parks to get their last visits in and to see the parks after a long time away.
School calendars that affect DLR involve CA (Southern and Northern), OR, WA, NV, AZ, UT -- you get the picture: there are a LOT of school districts that can affect crowds at DLR. Trying to plan a trip that isn't affected by one district or another is complicated.
HM usually goes down for the NBC overlay sometime around the third week of August and comes back up at the start of Halloween Time. If this ride really matters to you, visit before the third week of August.
DLR tends to go to the non-peak schedule around the last week of August. That means shorter hours, less staffing, more refurbs, fewer ride vehicles running, nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc. If you want to see fireworks and F!, plan for at least one weekend night (more to make your scheduling easier).

No fireworks during the week?! Seriously?

I have read that and find it very interesting, especially for a locals park.

I think we are just going to take our chances and stick with our September dates. August just doesn’t really work for us.

It is my 22 year old’s first time at any Disney park, so I hope crowds don’t keep him from having a good time!
With good planning, even a busy Monday can be a good day in the parks. Be there for RD -- make those early morning hours work for you! Use FP/MP wisely. Plan your shows, TS reservations, breaks during the busiest time of the day. If using MP, be stacking FPs during this time for your evening time in the parks. Have a dining package reservation for a nighttime show, e.g. WOC or F! (if it's showing on a Monday).

With good planning, even a busy Monday can be a good day in the parks. Be there for RD -- make those early morning hours work for you! Use FP/MP wisely. Plan your shows, TS reservations, breaks during the busiest time of the day. If using MP, be stacking FPs during this time for your evening time in the parks. Have a dining package reservation for a nighttime show, e.g. WOC or F! (if it's showing on a Monday).

Thank you!!

DL usually does not show fireworks during the week in the off season.

That is so strange to me! Especially considering there really is no “off” season anymore! And the weather in Southern California is pretty great year round!

Oh well...guess we will just have to deal with it!

Is there a good tutorial anywhere on MaxPass? I’m still a little confused about how it works (and how we can stack the FPs).

I definitely plan to get it.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!
Sites like Undercover Tourist advise during the last two weeks of August to go during the weekend instead of during the week due to AP block outs. What are your thoughts on this?
I am not a huge fireworks fan, but Disneyland's Fantasmic is the best Fantasmic there is, and Fantasmic in general is one of the best Disney shows, so that is a must.

Alternative is, arriving Thursday evening 20th, leaving Monday 24th.
In your opinion, would this be a better option, or due to D23 (most likely dates for 2020?) better go during the week?

... Alternative is, arriving Thursday evening 20th, leaving Monday 24th.
In your opinion, would this be a better option, or due to D23 (most likely dates for 2020?) better go during the week?
D23 Expo is Aug. 2019 and alternating years. The next Expo would be 2021.

That is so strange to me! Especially considering there really is no “off” season anymore! And the weather in Southern California is pretty great year round!..
Remember that, unlike WDW, DLR is surrounded by residential areas, some of which are really quite close to the parks -- think just a block or two away from DLR property. During the traditional school year, Disney works closely with the city of Anaheim to take residents into consideration when planning the entertainment schedule. That is also the reason why the fireworks at DL have a curfew. If I lived right next to DL, I would appreciate this!

Is there a good tutorial anywhere on MaxPass? I’m still a little confused about how it works (and how we can stack the FPs).
I definitely plan to get it.
Read this excellent thread (found in the sticky threads at the top of the first page) and ask all your MP questions there: "Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/. You'll get great help from our resident MP experts!

Remember that, unlike WDW, DLR is surrounded by residential areas, some of which are really quite close to the parks -- think just a block or two away from DLR property. During the traditional school year, Disney works closely with the city of Anaheim to take residents into consideration when planning the entertainment schedule. That is also the reason why the fireworks at DL have a curfew. If I lived right next to DL, I would appreciate this!

That makes sense!

Read this excellent thread (found in the sticky threads at the top of the first page) and ask all your MP questions there: "Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/. You'll get great help from our resident MP experts!

Thank you!

(Do you sleep?! I work nights, so that’s my excuse! :laughing:)

Depends on the school. We are in Northern California (Bay Area). My kids go to two different schools and start at two different times. My Middle School son starts back August 26th while my High School Daughter starts back August 12th. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter