when do points slip away

Keith Francis

Earning My Ears
Thanks for all the information on my other thread regarding DVC membership. I hope you don't mind but i have a few more questions.
What does it mean when a person is selling 150 points and has 174 points now, and 150 points available on a date in the future and if the time taken to purchase went over the future date what points would one loose or gain?
What is the best way to pay for the points and at what point will the exchange rate affect the purchase?
Also does anyone have the Web site for Shontell Crawford because I can only find two web sites for DVC resales.
regards Keith

Hi Keith,

I'll do my best, but i'm new to all this too (due to record our deed today)

When you buy DVC, you're given a 'use year', eg, our use year is February, so on the 1st Feb each year we get 165 point.
You can bank these points to the following year, OR borrow from the next year also.
I would assume that the example person you've used has a contract of 150 points a year, but has some extra points they've carried over from the last year, so they have the 174 available for this year only.

We bought BCV direct from Disney, but found credit card to be the best way to pay quite honestly - looking at interest rates on loans etc. We've gone with a card that gives us 0% APR for 6 months, then we're transferring to another for 4.7% for balance tranfers, wheras loans were around the 8% mark upwards. It was also immediate and there was no charge for wiring money.

Hope that was some help and good luck deciding, we spend many long hours discussing and tapping on calculators!

Once your resale was completed and you had control of the points you could bank some or all of the 150 for next year if you wanted to depending on the banking deadlines for your contracts use year. But the remaining 24 points would have to be used sometime soon as the current owner has already banked them and now they have to be used up or lost.

Banking deadlines mean that you can bank up to 100% of your points up to six months after your use year begins. Mine is June so I have up to the end of November. Then I think it's 50% of the points can be bank by the end of Feb and 25% by end of March.

So for example buying a June use year now would give you three months to complete the contract and allow you all your banking options. Buying an April use year at this point wouldn't be quite so flexible

Hi PBF

If the date/use year is coming up soon you can ask the seller to bank all possible points. If you needed/wanted to use points before the use year date you could always borrow points from next year ( although it does get a little complicated) .

To buy a resale with points available/banked is obviously much better than a purchase that has points borrowed. To give an example if the use year is July, you would have 174 points to use by the end of July this year. 24 points of which certainly have to be used or lost by that date. Of the other 150, depending on how long it takes to bank them, a certain amount can be saved and used next year, if you weren't going before that date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!