When do you guys think WDW DVC RESORTS will be open (not nec. parks)?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Just a survey, no one really knows, but just trying to GUESSTIMATE when the DVC resorts at WDW will open. I don't know if this will be before or at the same time as the parks. What is your best guess?

Last edited:

You think they can actually LIMIT capacity though for people who already booked using points? I wonder how many people already have
No idea, but I don't think everyone is itching to go to Disney World in June. If they want to limit it, they'll figure it out.

July 1st or 5th is my guess. Had thought June 1st but that ain't happening. So bumping my guess to July 1st.

They cannot limit capacity relative to units at DVC.

They can close all resort amenities, though.

Agree with this. DVC is a deeded real estate holding. There is nothing in CDC or FL state guidelines which would require a hotel to operate at partial capacity.

DVC cannot introduce an arbitrary restriction like that any more than an apartment complex manager could proclaim "we think everyone would be safer if we left 50% of our units empty, so half of our tenants need to move out."

Even when it comes to the amenities, Disney would have to have a very specific reason for denying access. Activity programs could easily be suspended and restaurants operate at half capacity. They could discontinue boat service to resorts like Boardwalk and Saratoga if the capacity limits make it impractical to operate. (Guests still have other options.)

I'd expect social distancing measures around resort pools, and that could lead to disappointing results for guests. But Disney doesn't have the right to shut down an amenity which is promoted as part of our ownership rights, under the guise that they think they know better than state or federal officials.

I think mid to late June but by July 1 for the resorts, with parks opening around July 5th.

I also agree they can not limit owners from the property once deemed safe enough to open. They could limit pool use, etc, but not actually going and staying.

I think parks will open before resorts. If there are any issues it's easier to slow things down with just the parks being open than it is once you have people staying onsite. I'll guess parks opening late June, resorts opening beginning of July.

I think parks will open before resorts. If there are any issues it's easier to slow things down with just the parks being open than it is once you have people staying onsite. I'll guess parks opening late June, resorts opening beginning of July.

That would be a tough one to justify legally with DVC owners as they can only keep resorts closed down for as minimum a time as possible. If WDW has deemed it safe for guests and CMs to be in parks, there is no rational that would meet that standards.

That would be a tough one to justify legally with DVC owners as they can only keep resorts closed down for as minimum a time as possible. If WDW has deemed it safe for guests and CMs to be in parks, there is no rational that would meet that standards.
I disagree. If they were to open only a few resorts and not include DVC, that would hard to justify. Saying that they feel they have protocol in place to handle parks is different than protocol for hotels. By only having parks open they have far more control over the numbers of people and can turn things off if needed. If they open resorts then they get flooded because, as we do seem to agree on, they can't limit DVC and there would be a lot more people able to do Disney if they have a place to stay. Only opening parks really limits it mostly to locals in the same way that DS has low crowds right now but once resorts and parks open it will completely change.

I disagree. If they were to open only a few resorts and not include DVC, that would hard to justify. Saying that they feel they have protocol in place to handle parks is different than protocol for hotels. By only having parks open they have far more control over the numbers of people and can turn things off if needed. If they open resorts then they get flooded because, as we do seem to agree on, they can't limit DVC and there would be a lot more people able to do Disney if they have a place to stay. Only opening parks really limits it mostly to locals in the same way that DS has low crowds right now but once resorts and parks open it will completely change.

Based on contract language, I’d say they’d be in violation for sure. We are actually getting to a point where I believe they are now walking that line.

Its pretty clear as to where emergency powers end, and if it’s safe for people to be in a park, it’s safe for owners to be at a resort.

I agree with you. I think they are on wobbly ground already. My understanding is that state law in Florida never required hotel closures. I haven't kept up on the thread about this, but my understanding was that some timeshares in Florida stayed open? As DVC resorts aren't tied to the parks opening, I actually think they should open before. Managing social distancing is much easier in a hotel than in a theme park.

Based on reports of FP availability (or maybe I should say unavailability) posted in other forums of the disboards, I would place an opening day for the parks around August 1 with resorts opening no sooner than a day or two prior.

I have a hard time imagining that WDW will open to just locals first for a long period of time. Maybe for a few days to test out procedures, etc... but financially I think that's a loss for Disney. Locals usually have APs, the ability to eat meals at home before or after visiting the parks, free parking, and probably spend less on merchandise on a normal day at the parks as compared to families traveling from far away. So, what's in it for Disney? No ticket sale revenue, no parking revenue, and less spent on food and merch. Maybe for a couple of days like UO is doing- but I just can't see anything beyond that. Chapek said in the earnings call they wouldn't operate if not generating revenue.

If park openings are delayed, I still think we see DVC open up sooner.

My guess would be 6/14, but I'm also in the boat of thinking they have screwed up not having them open to DVC even earlier for resort only stays at a limited capacity. DVC owners are much more likely to fine with taking a resort only trip having been to the parks many times. The back log of points is already starting to cause some major issues with availability. With Disney Springs being open, they should have began allowing DVC stays on 5/31 with the resort population significantly cut down. I don't think they would have even had to enforce that very hard with the parks still being closed.

Theme park crowd control measures are not a good enough reason to deny owners’ access to their deeded real estate holdings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter