When do you realistically think ABD will start operating again?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/tips/americans-europe-covid-travel/
I saw this article... made me feel a bit optimistic ABD trips could start again next Spring. Though I’m sure they’ll look different (maybe no more 40+ groups)
Thanks for posting this. Loved Rick Steve’s comments.

I have a late May 2021 AbD booked and as of now give it maybe 50% odds of happening. I can’t even get into booking non-AbD aspects right now. It is not showing as waitlisted; maybe I will call AbD to see how many are booked. Fewer people would be a nice way to start out.

I’m more confident of the October one having a chance to go as scheduled. It is waitlisted but don’t know at how many people in the group.

Thanks for posting this. Loved Rick Steve’s comments.

I have a late May 2021 AbD booked and as of now give it maybe 50% odds of happening. I can’t even get into booking non-AbD aspects right now. It is not showing as waitlisted; maybe I will call AbD to see how many are booked. Fewer people would be a nice way to start out.

I’m more confident of the October one having a chance to go as scheduled. It is waitlisted but don’t know at how many people in the group.

We're late May also... not doing any planning at all until we hear something... anything... from either Disney or the EU in regards to relaxing entry.

maybe I will call AbD to see how many are booked.

If you're on the Central Europe ABD, I know there are at least 2 more on that one :-) I have flights and hotels (pre and post nights) all scheduled. It was pretty easy (not painless but easy) to cancel everything so I'd rather have what I want than not. I'm still hopeful we'll go but if we don't, there's always 2022 or 2023. This year has been excellent for perspective.

If you're on the Central Europe ABD, I know there are at least 2 more on that one :-) I have flights and hotels (pre and post nights) all scheduled. It was pretty easy (not painless but easy) to cancel everything so I'd rather have what I want than not. I'm still hopeful we'll go but if we don't, there's always 2022 or 2023. This year has been excellent for perspective.

Yes, that’s the May trip! I have pre and post hotels booked but no flIghts or other activities booked yet. I also know what I plan to do on the pre & post days but haven’t put the $$ down yet to book those.

My thinking on flights is so much can change in the next few months with more flight options being added, or flight times changing if travel starts to ramp up, that I’m not yet willing to commit to flights. Guess I might start looking at what’s out there now.

Yes, that’s the May trip! I have pre and post hotels booked but no flIghts or other activities booked yet. I also know what I plan to do on the pre & post days but haven’t put the $$ down yet to book those.

My thinking on flights is so much can change in the next few months with more flight options being added, or flight times changing if travel starts to ramp up, that I’m not yet willing to commit to flights. Guess I might start looking at what’s out there now.

Oh I completely understand-I booked with points/miles that I'd already gotten back from a 2020 cancelled trip so those apparently are "easy come easy go" in my mind🤣 My attitude is completely different with real money!

My guess is that domestic trips (trips within the US) may start before international trips (trips outside the US). If, and this is a huge, if, the vaccine is ready by spring 2021, it will still be awhile before travel is possible, because the vaccine will not be made available to everyone at once on demand the way regular flu shots are.

This is totally heresay, so take it for what it's worth, but a TA who I know books a *lot* of ABD said on fb that ABD called her today and said "the rest of 2020 is gone" (her words). I'm not hugely surprised given the surge in cases going on all over the US and many places in Europe. It will be interesting to see if they announce this soon.

Sayhello

This is totally heresay, so take it for what it's worth, but a TA who I know books a *lot* of ABD said on fb that ABD called her today and said "the rest of 2020 is gone" (her words). I'm not hugely surprised given the surge in cases going on all over the US and many places in Europe. It will be interesting to see if they announce this soon.

Sayhello
All ABDs have been cancelled through December 31 2020. It's on the ABD website.

I really want them to change their policy on bookings for opening day earlier in the year. I booked for Fall 2021 and want my money back lol. I hate how I have to wait for them to cancel to get my money back.

I really want them to change their policy on bookings for opening day earlier in the year. I booked for Fall 2021 and want my money back lol. I hate how I have to wait for them to cancel to get my money back.
Did you book the May opening day? Those deposits are/should be fully refundable up to final payment date.

They updated the info on the AbD website yesterday and there are many changes. IE some of the 2022 SoCal Disneyland AbD will have different policies.

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/travel-advisory/

Last edited:
My guess is that domestic trips (trips within the US) may start before international trips (trips outside the US). If, and this is a huge, if, the vaccine is ready by spring 2021, it will still be awhile before travel is possible, because the vaccine will not be made available to everyone at once on demand the way regular flu shots are.

I agree...once a vaccine (or even better yet, several vaccines) are proven to be safe and effective, getting them out to everyone who would like one will take time. I imagine that travel within the US and Canada will resume prior to destionions beyond NA. It sure makes it difficult to plan! I think that we'll likely look more at domestic than international travel for 2021.

I agree...once a vaccine (or even better yet, several vaccines) are proven to be safe and effective, getting them out to everyone who would like one will take time. I imagine that travel within the US and Canada will resume prior to destionions beyond NA. It sure makes it difficult to plan! I think that we'll likely look more at domestic than international travel for 2021.
I wouldn't count on Canada any time soon. They do not want us until we have this virus under better control.

Sayhello

We will likely still wait until 2022 - but I'm happy for those that want to travel internationally in 2021 and the travel industry as a whole hopefully getting back on it's feet.

I am feeling better about the possibility for our US trip in June, which I had all but written off.

I still think most international travel will be more difficult than I am willing to undertake with kids for most of the year.

I am feeling better about the possibility for our US trip in June, which I had all but written off.

I still think most international travel will be more difficult than I am willing to undertake with kids for most of the year.

I agree with you. We have not traveled since March so will likely travel within the US this summer. Yay!! I have NZ booked for Dec 2021 and I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Three trips cancelled in the past nine months, South Africa, Winter in Wyoming and Portugal. We are booked on the Copenhagen Escape and the ABD/10 night Northern Europe Cruise in August. I'm once again hopeful but trying to not get too hopeful just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter