When do you stop renting a stroller?

My girls last went at 10 and 8 and I can't imagine either of them being in a stroller. We went pretty hard for a week, too, although not open to close every day (the 8 year old was a rock star, the 10 year old did moan a bit about being tired but never wanted to quit). Our next trip will likely be when our youngest is 5 1/2 (not yet in kindergarten) and I think it will be a tough call but we will likely have him walk, although may cave and do a stroller for a day or two. When the kids were younger we did a lot of prep walks, last trip we didn't since it was so last minute but they were fine!

I really think it depends on your kid. Mine are 1 (almost 2) and 5. I waffled back and forth about whether or not to get a double but realized hey, we've got to push a stroller anyway, I'll just get the double. I have the feeling that DS5 will complain that DS1 is in the stroller and he doesn't want to walk, etc. My older one can get whiney. I have a feeling that when the younger one is his age he'll be out of a stroller for sure. It really depends on the kid. You do you. The double I'm renting will fit both kids so I don't need to worry about whether or not we'll be OK.

I think there's a distinct difference between "can" and "should". Can most 8 year olds walk? Sure, probably. Should they? That's a personal judgment call for the parents/adults. For us, we would have rather pushed them and helped keep them from wearing down. Plus, frankly we liked the extra exercise. The choice anyone else makes is up to them, no right or wrong.

Doing walks around the neighborhood for a short time (a month, two months) before the trip is going to be mostly placebo effect. Don't get me wrong, all exercise is good exercise. But that's not really going to do a ton for conditioning someone for a week at WDW. WDW gets the best of DW and I after a while.

Our first WDW trip our kids were 4, 4 and 6 and we did not bring a stroller. They had been out of the stroller for a year or so. But there was whining so I can see using a stroller for big trips past the recommended age of use (which was 4, probably older now). But 8 seems way too old. Maybe 5 or 6 like a PP mentioned. Just my opinion to be taken with a grain of salt. (also can share a single stroller between 2 kids as many times I see doubles that have zero kids in them so a single would be just fine considering each kid would only be in it a little bit....also just my opinion so don't flame me)

I will add that it was a pain to haul a stroller around and fold up and navigate a crowded park so it was more easy for us to listen to a little whining from the kids. Also we took them out for proper naps and decent bedtimes so as not to overdo it.

Recommended age was around 3 when my kiddos were younger back in the late '70's and early '80's. The average stroller was not made to hold children much bigger in average weight then either. As for DGD, one of the few things her mother and I agreed on was stroller exit time. Thank goodness since that's one contentious relationship if ever there was one.

In an earlier thread on the ever popular stroller topic I suggested that living outside of urban areas w/ little to no public transportation has gone a long way in understanding the current trend towards strollers for older children. Still holds true in my thoughts.

Last edited:
I would evaluate closer to the trip to decide what you want to do. A child that just turned 8 may still want it whereas one closer to 9 may not. Kids change fast so right now you might look at your son and think, it’s needed, but 5 to 6 months it could be a different story. Also, if you like it because you bring in certain things that you don’t want to carry (like drinks) then you might still want it. I personally am looking forward to the days without strollers but I see both sides of this debate. Good luck! Oh and your stroller will probably still work even if he’s a little too big, that’s one with a higher weight limit so I don’t think I’d be concerned if you plan on keeping it for the trip... even if he is a few pounds over by the trip.

Hi friends! We won’t be returning until 2020- but by then my son will be 8, and I’m assuming even taller than he is now at 49”.

My question is- when did you stop bringing/renting a stroller? I know his little legs will get tired regardless of his age (we are park open-closers) and I know I love the convenience of a stroller for things we buy/jackets/bags/yada yada.

Our last trip was 12/18 and he was still fitting into a Summit X3.

Just looking for some input! Thanks!

Uh oh, opening a can of worms!! :)
My 8 yr. olds would never have sat in a stroller, period, but only you know what yours will do, so go with what 'you' want. I don't think you really want any input from most others!! It can get to be quite the discussion from past experience.

None of my kids used strollers by time they were 4. We weren't park open to park close, we toured in a way that worked with them. If they needed a break we stopped, got a Mickey Bar or just a drink and a rest. Or we found a nice short line for an attraction that allowed you to just sit and relax. If they got crabby and wanted to go back to the pool we'd cut short our park visit. We never needed a stroller at WDW when they were older, but honestly even if dh and I thought we would, there would be no way our kids at that age would have used one.
Since you aren't going for awhile I would wait it out and wait until you are there and ask your ds if he would like to have one.

Last year our kids were 5 and 8, and we didn't use a stroller. Both kids did fine, although the 5 year old had a few piggy backs at the end of evenings.
At the time, my 8 year old son would have sooner stuck a hot poker in his eyes than sit in a stroller.

Doing walks around the neighborhood for a short time (a month, two months) before the trip is going to be mostly placebo effect. Don't get me wrong, all exercise is good exercise. But that's not really going to do a ton for conditioning someone for a week at WDW. WDW gets the best of DW and I after a while.

OP isn’t going until 2020- minimum 7 months away if going in January 2020. Seven months of exercise will condition a person for walking. With so many schools cutting PE class kids today aren’t active and need to get outside and moving rather than playing video games (I AM NOT SAYING OPs CHILD DOES THIS).

If OP and family walk or bike daily they will be conditioned by trip time. No able bodied 8 year old needs a stroller IMHO which is what OP asked

I think there's a distinct difference between "can" and "should". Can most 8 year olds walk? Sure, probably. Should they? That's a personal judgment call for the parents/adults. For us, we would have rather pushed them and helped keep them from wearing down. Plus, frankly we liked the extra exercise. The choice anyone else makes is up to them, no right or wrong.

I give you credit as the last thing my dh and I want or need at WDW is extra exercise!!!

Hi friends! We won’t be returning until 2020- but by then my son will be 8, and I’m assuming even taller than he is now at 49”.

My question is- when did you stop bringing/renting a stroller? I know his little legs will get tired regardless of his age (we are park open-closers) and I know I love the convenience of a stroller for things we buy/jackets/bags/yada yada.

Our last trip was 12/18 and he was still fitting into a Summit X3.

Just looking for some input! Thanks!

The first time we went, DS was 18 months, and we took our own stroller. The second time, he was 5, and we just rented a park one as needed. (I think 2 days out of an 8-day trip?)

I would tone down my plans before I rented a stroller for an 8yo.

We did not use a stroller all week at WDW for a 6 1/2 year old. There were a few nights where it would have come in handy, but I never regretted not having one. We just did a commando day at Disneyland until midnight (now age 7) and she never complained once.

We got a double stroller when my kids were 2 and 6. My 6 year old was tiny and tired easily. We were so thankful to have it for that trip. 2nd trip, they were 10 and 6. We just weren’t sure if he would need it or not. We ended up leaving it in the hotel room the whole time. I think it totally depends on your kid and how your family tours.

OP isn’t going until 2020- minimum 7 months away if going in January 2020. Seven months of exercise will condition a person for walking. With so many schools cutting PE class kids today aren’t active and need to get outside and moving rather than playing video games (I AM NOT SAYING OPs CHILD DOES THIS).

If OP and family walk or bike daily they will be conditioned by trip time. No able bodied 8 year old needs a stroller IMHO which is what OP asked

If you feel a family walk is going to condition someone for walking and standing in WDW for a week, fabulous. As I said, all exercise is great, so it's never a bad thing. Plus it's great family time. However, IMHO it's kinda like saying your goal is to swim the English Channel, and to prepare for it you're going to spend 20 minutes each day doing laps at the community pool. :D

Again, "need" vs "want"....

When my youngest was 7, she had to walk! But when my oldest was 7, my youngest was 2 so my oldest got a little ride here and there on that trip sharing the sit/stand part with her almost 5 yo brother.

If you feel a family walk is going to condition someone for walking and standing in WDW for a week, fabulous. As I said, all exercise is great, so it's never a bad thing. Plus it's great family time. However, IMHO it's kinda like saying your goal is to swim the English Channel, and to prepare for it you're going to spend 20 minutes each day doing laps at the community pool. :D

Again, "need" vs "want"....

An able bodied 7 year old doesn't need a stroller unless their parents want to keep them in the park all day dragging them around to every single attraction. Even then they don't need it, the parents just want it so they don't have to deal with the crankiness they caused by running the kid ragged.
That's the truth but everyone skirts around it here.

An able bodied 7 year old doesn't need a stroller unless their parents want to keep them in the park all day dragging them around to every single attraction. Even then they don't need it, the parents just want it so they don't have to deal with the crankiness they caused by running the kid ragged.
That's the truth but everyone skirts around it here.

That's your truth. Not sure how you'd know it's the truth for others, but each to their own. :confused3

It's quite the assumption to say they are "dragging" kids around and "cause" crankiness...and you know what they say about making assumptions.

ETA: Even if that is someones' truth, so what? If having the kid use a stroller will prevent them from getting cranky and allow them to spend more enjoyable time in the parks, why is that a negative? If the kids want it and the parents are good with it, I fail to see the concern.

Last edited:
Oh, my... can of worms indeed.

My son is very able bodied and he is very active already- plays soccer, hockey, dirtbikes and snowboards competitively. He’s not lazy or unable to walk or complains that he’s tired.

We know all about midday breaks and we work them into our touring plans when we want/need to.

As I had mentioned LOL towards the end of the day he gets tired (like most people with little legs do) and carrying around a 4’2” 55# kid isn’t easy when you’re barely over 5’ yourself and you’re coming back from Italy watching Illuminations and it’s nice when you’re in a big group to have a place to store things instead of carrying them all day long.

I should’ve known better than to ask, because the keyboard warriors come right out on their high horses or hanging from their ivory towers.

I wanted input on ease of touring without a stroller, not how to “train” my kid to be Disney ready for walking or any of these other condescending comments.

Sheesh.

That's your truth. Not sure how you'd know it's the truth for others, but each to their own. :confused3

It's quite the assumption to say they are "dragging" kids around and "cause" crankiness...and you know what they say about making assumptions.

ETA: Even if that is someones' truth, so what? If having the kid use a stroller will prevent them from getting cranky and allow them to spend more enjoyable time in the parks, why is that a negative? If the kids want it and the parents are good with it, I fail to see the concern.

Oh please, it is the truth. An able bodied 7 year old is capable of walking around WDW. However if a parent doesn't go at the pace of a 7 year old, and wants to go at an adult's pace it certainly is easier to stick them in a stroller. That isn't a "need" that is a "want" of the parents.
But it doesn't matter, you can do what you want, at least own up to why you do it.
IF nobody really cared though there wouldn't be countless threads about what age for a stroller. Clearly parents care enough to wonder what is the norm.
Please don't get all bent because someone tells them instead of sugar coats it like it is.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!