When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've thrown in the towel and have cancelled our Aug 1-15 trip to Disney World. Swoop is still only offering flight credits and not refunds, but I've read reports of Canadians successfully being reimbursed by their credit card companies for Swoop fares, so I'll give that a try (I didn't cancel my flights, Swoop did, so since Swoop failed to provide a promised service I think I can present a strong argument to TD Bank that a refund of my credit card transactions is in order).

To put the current Canada vs. US coronavirus situation into perspective, on July 2 and 3 there were 112,136 new cases in the US, whereas as of July 3rd Canada has had a total of 105,091 cases. There is not a chance of the Canada/US border opening by August 1st.

It's hard to believe now, but back in the middle of March I assured my daughter that coronavirus would be under control within 4 to 6 weeks, and that she'd be able to fly to Orlando in early May as scheduled for her Disney World summer job.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've thrown in the towel and have cancelled our Aug 1-15 trip to Disney World. Swoop is still only offering flight credits and not refunds, but I've read reports of Canadians successfully being reimbursed by their credit card companies for Swoop fares, so I'll give that a try (I didn't cancel my flights, Swoop did, so since Swoop failed to provide a promised service I think I can present a strong argument to TD Bank that a refund of my credit card transactions is in order).

To put the current Canada vs. US coronavirus situation into perspective, on July 2 and 3 there were 112,136 new cases in the US, whereas as of July 3rd Canada has had a total of 105,091 cases. There is not a chance of the Canada/US border opening by August 1st.

It's hard to believe now, but back in the middle of March I assured my daughter that coronavirus would be under control within 4 to 6 weeks, and that she'd be able to fly to Orlando in early May as scheduled for her Disney World summer job.

I know how you feel. Back in March I was telling my kids our trip would just be postponed until the summer.

The cases are crazy. I know people like go on about the low death rate. But say the death rate is 1% that’s over 100 people a day.

Last edited:
Check out this CBC marketplace study to see how clean these planes were pre pandemic...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/flights-filthy-surfaces-airplane-marketplace-1.4873586
I‘m not sure they could do enough to convince me they could keep those planes clean right now .. and certainly not by dropping the middle seat restrictions.

Canadian airlines operate with very low margins and need those seats filled to be viable, which I understand. Hopefully people don’t mistake that to mean that it’s safer than it was .
Yuck. And this is why I’ve carried antibacterial wipes on board for years to wipe down everything. People used to give me odd looks!

I know how you feel. Back in March I was telling my kids our trip would just be postponed until the summer.

The cases are crazy. I know people like go on about the low death rate. But say the death rate is 1% that’s over 100 people a day.
And death rate doesn’t tell the entire story. Many people don’t recover 100% and have lasting issues from Covid. permanent lung scaring, cognitive issues, etc.

I would really love this to be the case. My dh wants us to go away in October for a week at an all inclusive (usually we go to Mexico but at this point I'm open to any destination with an all inclusive). That 14 day quarantine though man.....ugh.
Mexico isn’t doing well right now either. We have a friend who lives in Puerto Vallarta. We were just there in Feb. I wouldn’t go near it now.

Sadly canceled our Aug 2-14 WDW trip. Had CBR booked. We were really looking forward to Skyliner. TA modified res for Aug 2021. I canceled flights the other day, just made it feel more real :sad: we were booked on Alaska and had a choice of refund or money deposited to wallet. I chose refund to my cc. We were planning to drive to SeaTac to pick up flight. I got refund because Alaska changed my flight times.
I have Universal booked for late Nov/early Dec. with a friend from California. I am hoping there’s still time for the US to get serious and lower numbers. But if not there’s another trip down the drain.
I can’t see Canada opening borders until the US gets this virus under control. And they probably won’t until they start listening to science and the doctors. Sad so many people are dying there.

And death rate doesn’t tell the entire story. Many people don’t recover 100% and have lasting issues from Covid. permanent lung scaring, cognitive issues, etc.

Exactly. I agree it’s actually much worse. So just thinking of the number of people out of that 11,000 a day that will be sick for a long time is just terrible.

We have cancelled September 5-12, we have November hotel booked but no flights, probably will canacel We have swoop credit but I would prefer a refund. Has anyone had any luck with Swoop?

We are asking for refunds on our AP.

We have a cruise next Feb, I am hopeful for this one....maybe

I have Universal booked for late Nov/early Dec. with a friend from California. I am hoping there’s still time for the US to get serious and lower numbers. But if not there’s another trip down the drain.

Pretty sure Covid might be last on the list of the many worries you should have with respect to travelling down to the U.S. in late November. Just sayin’...

Ok I may have misheard this. So sorry if it’s not true. But it sounds like the recent cases in PEI have been traced back to someone who travelled to another province who visited with someone who had been in the US. This makes me mad. Was the person not under quarantine?

This is why we have to keep the borders closed!!

I'd love to hear the reason why this couple was allowed to enter Canada ... https://www.cp24.com/news/police-ch...canada-s-mandatory-quarantine-order-1.5011631

IMO, that fine is too low. Hopefully they are now barred from ever entering Canada again.
They could be immediate family to someone in Canada. They could have dual citizenship. They could be resort owners that are allowed to cross only to open up their business. Either way, any of the people that are allowed to come in (and it is a limited list) have to quarantine. At least they are being monitored, and caught. There were a couple of others that were charged as well a couple of weeks back in that area.
The border is closed to non discretionary travel - they aren't letting property owners cross to check on their camps, they aren't letting them cross by boat, even if they don't step on land other than their own. So, although everyone's reaction is how they heck did they get across, they obviously had a valid reason for crossing or they wouldn't have been allowed.

They could be immediate family to someone in Canada. They could have dual citizenship. They could be resort owners that are allowed to cross only to open up their business. Either way, any of the people that are allowed to come in (and it is a limited list) have to quarantine. At least they are being monitored, and caught. There were a couple of others that were charged as well a couple of weeks back in that area.
The border is closed to non discretionary travel - they aren't letting property owners cross to check on their camps, they aren't letting them cross by boat, even if they don't step on land other than their own. So, although everyone's reaction is how they heck did they get across, they obviously had a valid reason for crossing or they wouldn't have been allowed.

That's why I said I'd love to hear the reason. It must have been good enough to get them into the country but if their reason is respectful, they should be also.

That's why I said I'd love to hear the reason. It must have been good enough to get them into the country but if their reason is respectful, they should be also.
And considering grocery delivery services, or if they were crossing because they were immediate family members, their family could have shopped. Or resort owner - their Canadian employees could have shopped.
They don't have to just give a reason - they have to provide documentation. I've had a lot of complaints about people thinking they should be allowed in but can't provide documention the border agents are asking for and think it's ridiculous. So I know just anyone isn't getting across.

CBC had an article about people who are in Canada who drive with US plates for various legit reasons and are getting harassed. Perhaps they should have some kind of sticker for them, or for those who are supposed to be passing through (to Alaska I believe?) so people don't harass those legitimatly here, and can avoid those who shouldn't be stopping. I am glad to know people are being turned away who shouldn't be here though. As much as I want to go back to Disney or on a cruise, I'll wait (mostly patiently) until it's safe to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter