When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think THAT is taking away your rights then you have a lot of first world problems. We all gave up things so we could all be safe. If/when it happens again it will be because so many could not follow simple rules and it will be to keep everyone safe, especially people like your mother who might be in a higher risk group.
And this is not happening just Canada!

ETA-maybe look up oppression in say Hong Kong. Now that is oppression.
My mother is dead thanks she died alone of cancer 2 weeks ago because of these rules

You have a right to this belief but I don't understand it. I just don't. The only reason Covid does not seem like much of a threat here in Canada is because Canada shut down so quickly in March after seeing what was happening in Europe (Italy in particular at that time). THAT is what has resulted in Canada having less than 10,000 deaths over 6 months rather than 30,000+ deaths (ie, Italy) in a matter of a couple of months.

Italy, back in April (7th to be precise), had a 12.5% death rate of those who caught Covid-19. Meanwhile in, Canada only 2.13% of Covid positive were dying. That's a huge difference! France was 9%; Spain 9.8%; US was only 2.95% then; UK was 10.3%.

But the States still has hundreds dying daily. Europe's numbers are rising as well. Canada's numbers are going up again but nothing like the U.S. and Europe. We are still in single digits with only 2 double digit deaths this month of September. I truly believe that was because of lockdown. After lockdown restrictions were lifted, the numbers started to rise. I expected that though. This is not going away anytime soon. The last pandemic lasted 2-3 years. I expect we will go into lockdown restrictions again, but what else can be done? The only other option is to just let the virus sweep through unchecked at a rapid rate and let thousands more die that would with restrictions in place. That is not a good option.

Personally, I'm happy staying in Canada. I'm not going to any country while this is out of control.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a family member... You are not the only person affected though. Many other people have lost family members. My grandfather died as well. I attended his funeral on August 21st.

Last edited:
My mother is dead thanks she died alone of cancer 2 weeks ago because of these rules
I'm very sorry for your loss. While cancer is a nasty disease I'm glad that Covid was not tacked on to it. That could have easily happened and could have ended her life sooner if some of those rules that were put in place had not been.
Again, very very sorry for your loss. I still don't see an oppression though which is what my point has been.

You have a right to this belief but I don't understand it. I just don't. The only reason Covid does not seem like much of a threat here in Canada is because Canada shut down so quickly in March after seeing what was happening in Europe (Italy in particular at that time). THAT is what has resulted in Canada having less than 10,000 deaths over 6 months rather than 30,000+ deaths (ie, Italy) in a matter of a couple of months.

Italy, back in April (7th to be precise), had a 12.5% death rate of those who caught Covid-19. Meanwhile in, Canada only 2.13% of Covid positive were dying. That's a huge difference! France was 9%; Spain 9.8%; US was only 2.95% then; UK was 10.3%.

But the States still has hundreds dying daily. Europe's numbers are rising as well. Canada's numbers are going up again but nothing like the U.S. and Europe. We are still in single digits with only 2 double digit deaths daily. I truly believe that was because of lockdown. After lockdown restrictions were lifted, the numbers started to rise. I expected that though. This is not going away anytime soon. The last pandemic lasted 2-3 years. I expect we will go into lockdown restrictions again, but what else can be done? The only other option is to just let the virus sweep through unchecked at a rapid rate and let thousands more die that would with restrictions in place. That is not a good option.
I believe that if everyone wore masks properly, washed our hands and had the contact tracing app that quarantining healthy people for no reason wouldn't be necessary. I believe that shutting down businesses and handing out free money to people is ruining our economy needlessly. I don't think that most of the rules being imposed on us are necessary if the ones that are useful are enforced properly.

I'm very sorry for your loss. While cancer is a nasty disease I'm glad that Covid was not tacked on to it. That could have easily happened and could have ended her life sooner if some of those rules that were put in place had not been.
Again, very very sorry for your loss. I still don't see an oppression though which is what my point has been.
She was diagnosed in June and was extremely sick and hospitalized for the entire time. If she had covid it probably would have ended her pain sooner. All covid did for us was made her die alone because we weren't able to spend her last couple months with her

I believe that if everyone wore masks properly, washed our hands and had the contact tracing app that quarantining healthy people for no reason wouldn't be necessary. I believe that shutting down businesses and handing out free money to people is ruining our economy needlessly. I don't think that most of the rules being imposed on us are necessary if the ones that are useful are enforced properly.

I agree wearing masks and hand washing will help. I'm torn over shutting businesses down again. I think many could safely stay open now.

Unfortunately with symptoms not showing for almost 2 weeks quarantine practice makes sense as much as it sucks.

She was diagnosed in June and was extremely sick and hospitalized for the entire time. If she had covid it probably would have ended her pain sooner. All covid did for us was made her die alone because we weren't able to spend her last couple months with her
I really disliked how everyone was banned from hospitals and care homes. I understand the reasoning but I wish another solution would have been available. Too many people confused and alone. If a family member was willing to only go from home to the hospital or care home and nowhere else, why not let them. Fortunately the Ottawa hospital allowed making a reservation to visit. 1 person only (my uncle),was allowed to suit up in protective gear and visit my grandpa for a few minutes every other day or so. I wish you could have been allowed the same.

I agree wearing masks and hand washing will help. I'm torn over shutting businesses down again. I think many could safely stay open now.

Unfortunately with symptoms not showing for almost 2 weeks quarantine practice makes sense as much as it sucks.

I really disliked how everyone was banned from hospitals and care homes. I understand the reasoning but I wish another solution would have been available. Too many people confused and alone. If a family member was willing to only go from home to the hospital or care home and nowhere else, why not let them. Fortunately the Ottawa hospital allowed making a reservation to visit. 1 person only (my uncle),was allowed to suit up in protective gear and visit my grandpa for a few minutes every other day or so. I wish you could have been allowed the same.
If everyone was wearing masks quarantine wouldn't be necessary because transmission from even an infected person would be extremely low. The problem is all you have to do to avoid wearing one is say you have a medical condition. No proof or anything. Also it isn't a requirement everywhere.

I'm not just talkinh about the 14 day quarantine. From March to the end of June we were not allowed to go see family or friends or even leave the house unless it was essential. I didn't get to spend my mom's last birthday or Mother's day with her because of these rules. They said babysitters and housecleaners were allowed in our homes before our own families. That is oppressive. That is taking away our rights. And do believe it's about to happen again.
Nm

Well they like to treat people like prisoners here and if you leave the country they impose fines if you leave your house withon 14 days. Last I checked only North Korea told people they couldn't leave the country and now if we do we have a 14 day mandatory house arrest. Human rights are being violated daily already.
Do you wear a seat belt in your car? We are told to do that and we do. Do you work according to your employer’s rules? That’s part of your employment. That’s no different than being asked to quarantine for 14 days for the good of other people. This is for a short period of time for the greater good of all people including other people who have illnesses that need protecting from this virus.

I am truly sorry your Mom passed. My own Mom died recently also so I feel your pain. I am curious as to why she was not allowed someone with her when she passed. Was she not allowed visitors? My friend’s mom died three weeks ago and the hospital allowed them in which surprised them. The nurse said most everywhere is allowing visitors but usually only one who has been screened. I’m sorry you were not.

Do you wear a seat belt in your car? We are told to do that and we do. Do you work according to your employer’s rules? That’s part of your employment. That’s no different than being asked to quarantine for 14 days for the good of other people. This is for a short period of time for the greater good of all people including other people who have illnesses that need protecting from this virus.

I am truly sorry your Mom passed. My own Mom died recently also so I feel your pain. I am curious as to why she was not allowed someone with her when she passed. Was she not allowed visitors? My friend’s mom died three weeks ago and the hospital allowed them in which surprised them. The nurse said most everywhere is allowing visitors but usually only one who has been screened. I’m sorry you were not.
I never said I don't follow them. I said I don't believe they are useful.

Obviously your choice to feel how you feel.

I looked up about the visitations also only because I recalled seeing that somewhere. They were allowed from June 16th onwards. You should have been allowed your visits with your Mom. Such a shame.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...are-workers-still-waiting-on-pandemic-premium
Recommendations are not the same as telling hospitals and hospices to change their rules. They all make their own rules based on the suggestions. Nobody is allowed to see my 94 year old grandmother either so she sits in her room by herself unable to even see the people on her residence because she has to leave 3 times a week for dialysis. She's more likely to die from depression at this point than covid because nobody wants to enforce masks.

But to get back on topic. I believe the borders should be open again. Florida was able to drastically reduce their numbers just by imposing fines to people not wearing masks and limiting the amount of people in spaces. If we did the same we could have avoided the second wave.

Last edited:
I’m sorry you mother died. And this is going to sound very harsh. But your pain and grief does not give you a pass and make it ok for you to behave in a way that puts other people in danger.
And yes removing the quarantine will put people in danger
Way to assume that my pain amd grief are what make me believe that. Again Florida was able to allow visitors without quarantine and drastically reduce their numbers by enforcing masks and social distancing.

Way to assume that my pain amd grief are what make me believe that. Again Florida was able to allow visitors without quarantine and drastically reduce their numbers by enforcing masks and social distancing.

So how would you feel if your mother had died because someone travelled and didn’t quarantine for 14 days. And then brought this virus into what ever place she lived? I’m sure you would think differently. You want people to respect that fact your mother has died. Please respect that people are still losing their life to covid. And it’s not right for you to want to gamble with their lives.

So how would you feel if your mother had died because someone travelled and didn’t quarantine for 14 days. And then brought this virus into what ever place she lived? I’m sure you would think differently. You want people to respect that fact your mother has died. Please respect that people are still losing their life to covid. And it’s not right for you to want to gamble with their lives.
People gamble with their lives everyday by leaving the house.

Again to try to get this back on track my OPINION is that the border should be open now without a required quarantine and will be open by Christmas

People gamble with their lives everyday by leaving the house.

Again to try to get this back on track my OPINION is that the border should be open now without a required quarantine and will be open by Christmas

Allowing the border to open and have no quarantine is gambling with peoples lives. And not just your own.

Thankfully most people in this country see it this way.

Allowing the border to open and have no quarantine is gambling with peoples lives. And not just your own.

Thankfully most people in this country see it this way.
Again I'm entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Most people don't feel that way they just don't have a choice but to follow the rules put in place by our government or face fines if they chose to leave.

Open by Christmas so that people can visit their families for the holidays.

So people can visit their families at Christmas is not a good enough reason to open the border. It might be a wish your heart makes but then there is reality. This thing needs to get under control and be in a manageable state before life can go back to "normal". As much as we don't like living like this (no one does), it's what we have to do to get through to the other side healthy and able to live the rest of our lives.

So people can visit their families at Christmas is not a good enough reason to open the border. It might be a wish your heart makes but then there is reality. This thing needs to get under control and be in a manageable state before life can go back to "normal". As much as we don't like living like this (no one does), it's what we have to do to get through to the other side healthy and able to live the rest of our lives.
The title of the thread is when do you think the borders will open. That is my answer. I've given my opinion as to why. The cdc doesn't even recommend a quarantine after travel anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter