When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title of the thread is when do you think the borders will open. That is my answer. I've given my opinion as to why. The cdc doesn't even recommend a quarantine after travel anymore.

We all know what CDC did after Trump made some comments... I would be careful about trusting my life totally on them now. In case you missed it, CDC immediately revised their recommendations on school reopening restriction and COVID aerosol risks. Medical guidelines can change. I would prefer to err on side of caution. If USA border is fully open, Canada's statistics would be nearly identical as the neighboring New York and Michigan states. You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that if I want to live in that mess, I would have moved to the States already.

Ellbell... you are obviously in a state of coping. I am very sorry for your loss. People cope with the five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. It obvious which stage you are at. I want to respect that but still stay objective with you. I hope you move out of your anger soon.

The reality is, with or without the border closure, the eventual death outcome for your mom's cancer diagnosis would be the same. There is no need to feel guilty or angry. I am sure you spoke to her on the phone or even video chat on the final days. I am sure she wished all her kids to do well and not worry about her after she leaves. I think this issue has affected you more than your mom. I do not know if she was "alone" but I can see that you yourself felt alone. I truly hope you can come out of that grief and move on to acceptance. For some people, they are stuck at the depression stage. I hope you the best in your griefing.

Ellbell... you are obviously in a state of coping. I am very sorry for your loss. People cope with the five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. It obvious which stage you are at. I want to respect that but still stay objective with you. I hope you move out of your anger soon.

The reality is, with or without the border closure, the eventual death outcome for your mom's cancer diagnosis would be the same. There is no need to feel guilty or angry. I am sure you spoke to her on the phone or even video chat on the final days. I am sure she wished all her kids to do well and not worry about her after she leaves. I think this issue has affected you more than your mom. I do not know if she was "alone" but I can see that you yourself felt alone. I truly hope you can come out of that grief and move on to acceptance. For some people, they are stuck at the depression stage. I hope you the best in your griefing.
My opinion on the border and the rules have nothing to do with my mother. My friends feel the same way. My opinion was this before she died.

This thread is way off topic.

Way to assume that my pain amd grief are what make me believe that. Again Florida was able to allow visitors without quarantine and drastically reduce their numbers by enforcing masks and social distancing.

Florida should not be held up as an example of what to do in anything related to the pandemic.
People gamble with their lives everyday by leaving the house.

Again to try to get this back on track my OPINION is that the border should be open now without a required quarantine and will be open by Christmas
Your opinion unfortunately is wrong. It’s not based on good science. Right now, all we have to throw at this bug is public health measures. Quarantine, isolation, contact tracing. Disliking those measures doesn’t change a thing.
Again I'm entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Most people don't feel that way they just don't have a choice but to follow the rules put in place by our government or face fines if they chose to leave.

Open by Christmas so that people can visit their families for the holidays.
Citing visiting one’s family as a reason to open a country’s border is ludicrous. At this time with our reproduction number of 1.4, no one should be visiting over a holiday with family. We are looking at exponential growth right now, and without public health measures, there is no hiding from that graph. Wanting to visit family doesn’t enter into the argument. The graph doesn’t care that people want to see loved ones.

I mean this without snark—I suggest you read The Diary of Anne Frank. It might give you some perspective on what true confinement entails. None of what we have experienced so far is true confinement. Sad things have happened. People have died—sometimes alone. But we still are free. Anne didn’t breathe fresh air for over two years while in hiding.

Part of the reason we are in this second wave is people have a distorted opinion over what they are entitled to in the face of a pandemic.

Again I'm entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Most people don't feel that way they just don't have a choice but to follow the rules put in place by our government or face fines if they chose to leave.

Open by Christmas so that people can visit their families for the holidays.
Could you please quote your source for this. I would, and it would show the opposite, however this is your statement so you need to prove it correct, I don't need to prove it wrong.
Just judging from this thread, lots of people from different areas, you can see that your statement is not exactly correct. Maybe your friends do agree with you but they are not 'most people', they are some people, and I would bet that they might even agree with you because of your loss, want to make you feel better.
But again, please quote your source so we can all be enlightened.

Florida should not be held up as an example of what to do in anything related to the pandemic.

The Florida statistics are certainly not encouraging (yesterday, Canada had 8 deaths, Florida had 103 deaths, overall the Florida per capita death rate is 21x Canada). And Florida is considered to be a state where the growth rate in coronavirus cases is under control.

I check the statistics every few days, and it is pretty clear that the US is currently hopeless. My bigger concern is that, with winter almost here, cases in Canada are likely going to spike and we are going to have to reintroduce shutdowns of various types.

After cancelling our 2020 Disneyworld summer vacation, I'm now becoming convinced that a 2021 summer trip is out of the question, too. We currently have 5 day tickets for Disneyland, and 10 day for Disney World, so I've been comforting myself by starting to plan a deluxe 2022 trip where we will visit Florida and California (flights from Orlando to LAX are crazy cheap, currently on the order of $110 one way including tax for next August) and stay at nicer hotels and resorts. An Edmonton/Orlando/LAX/Edmonton loop wouldn't cost much more than an Edmonton/Orlando return flight.

The Florida statistics are certainly not encouraging (yesterday, Canada had 8 deaths, Florida had 103 deaths, overall the Florida per capita death rate is 21x Canada). And Florida is considered to be a state where the growth rate in coronavirus cases is under control.

I check the statistics every few days, and it is pretty clear that the US is currently hopeless. My bigger concern is that, with winter almost here, cases in Canada are likely going to spike and we are going to have to reintroduce shutdowns of various types.

After cancelling our 2020 Disneyworld summer vacation, I'm now becoming convinced that a 2021 summer trip is out of the question, too. We currently have 5 day tickets for Disneyland, and 10 day for Disney World, so I've been comforting myself by starting to plan a deluxe 2022 trip where we will visit Florida and California (flights from Orlando to LAX are crazy cheap, currently on the order of $110 one way including tax for next August) and stay at nicer hotels and resorts. An Edmonton/Orlando/LAX/Edmonton loop wouldn't cost much more than an Edmonton/Orlando return flight.
2022 is probably a safer bet. We are hoping for November 2021, but at this point, I think it’s a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!