When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. If I didn't already have everything booked and paid for, I certainly wouldn't have been booking. Unfortunately, we booked all this back in Jan, before there was even any news about all this. And at the time, since there was no indication that it would be possible we couldn't go, we booked pretty much everything non-refundable and in some cases, pay in advance, non-refundable. We have until the end of July to cancel Disney and get a refund, so I'm not so worried about the Disney package, but the rest of the trip is where I'm in doubt.

1) Airfare: Delta has waived the change fees, but it's credit voucher only, and has to be used within the year.
2) SeaWorld: Tickets can be changed to anytime through 2021, since it's an international buy, but our day specific add-ons seem like they'll be forfeit.
3) Park and Fly Hotel: Paid in advance, non-refundable, but I'm lifetime Gold with Marriott, so I might be able to argue that one if I call the Gold line.
4) Mears Shuttle to SeaWorld: I believe I can cancel this one and get my money back.
5) Disney Beachcomber Shack rental at Typhoon Lagoon: I was told non-refundable at the time of booking, but from what we've seen of Disney, I hope I can get this back.

And then lastly, there's a couple of not straight forward considerations as well:

1) We booked under a Free Dining offer (had to be booked by Jan 16, we booked on Jan 15th). Changing our dates, we lose this offer. With two families of 4 going for 8 nights, that works out to a $3520 USD difference that's not redeemable unless we can get a Free Dining offer again. So while it's not money out of pocket gone directly, that's a significant difference in the potential re-booking budget. It's not as simple as just moving the dates. Outright cancelling on the other hand, means being out the various credits that I can't get refunded on.
2) For that other family, this is their once in a lifetime type of trip, they're not the Disney every 18 months like we are, so if we cancel, we might be cancelling on their ability to even go.
Free Dining has been offered by Disney for many years now and I can’t see them stopping it in the economic state the world is facing. We are booked (although probably not going) in Sep. This year was to be our 9th year in a row with a FD.
Trip. I’m sure that portion of your trip will be bookable in 2021.

I just wish they would open the Canadian passport office for processing. Even if they open the border, we aren't going anywhere (except on nexus) and the longer they wait, the bigger the backlog. My son't passport expires in January.

Interesting, but are the Canadians insisting that whoever crosses back in self quarantine for 14 days?

Yes. Everyone (except for essential workers like truckers) who come into Canada must quarantine for 14 days. They must give border officials the address they will be quarantining at. And explain how they will travel there and how they will do things like get groceries etc. If your plans aren’t acceptable they will require you to go to a specific place for quarantine (like certain hotels they are using for this) until you have a good plan.

Yes. Everyone (except for essential workers like truckers) who come into Canada must quarantine for 14 days. They must give border officials the address they will be quarantining at. And explain how they will travel there and how they will do things like get groceries etc. If your plans aren’t acceptable they will require you to go to a specific place for quarantine (like certain hotels they are using for this) until you have a good plan.
Also, they are phoning you and checking up on your location. I know someone who just got out of quarantine.

My son's passport expired last December and I dilly dallied about getting it replaced, had planned to take care of it in March as I was changing jobs and would be really close to the passport office in Ottawa, stupid! Oh well... hopefully I'll be able to get it fairly quickly when things reopen there, and I will pay to expedite as well if it's an option, not sure it will be with how much of a backlog there is likely to be!

I was just thinking about backlogs . My husband was due to renew his sticker in March just as everything closed up . We live about a 15 minute walk from a Service Ontario Centre . He can probably just walk out the front door and get in the line when it opens again .. it will stretch for miles :rolleyes1

I'm mixed on it. I've no desire to go across the border just because, like shopping or whatnot, but at the same time, I (admittedly, selfishly and with no real good reason) want to not have to cancel our booked trip at the end of Aug.
Me too, trip booked early August. :guilty: Fortunately room only. We didn’t do advance park n fly at Marriott. Just reserved with BCAA discount. Flight booked. Everything booked last fall.

I really just want WDW and UOR to open and get this party started. I want to see what happens and see how fast (or slow) they manage everything. My parents will be 68 and 70 at trip time and I really don't think they want to go if the US is still pumping out the positive cases.

I was just thinking about backlogs . My husband was due to renew his sticker in March just as everything closed up . We live about a 15 minute walk from a Service Ontario Centre . He can probably just walk out the front door and get in the line when it opens again .. it will stretch for miles :rolleyes1
Car sticker? Yes you can do it on line and it will come in the mail. We did this for my daughter a few weeks ago her birthday is Monday. We have it already.

Car sticker? Yes you can do it on line and it will come in the mail. We did this for my daughter a few weeks ago her birthday is Monday. We have it already.

My DH renewed his sticker online over a month ago and still nothing in the mail yet.

Free Dining has been offered by Disney for many years now and I can’t see them stopping it in the economic state the world is facing. We are booked (although probably not going) in Sep. This year was to be our 9th year in a row with a FD.
Trip. I’m sure that portion of your trip will be bookable in 2021.
Only if we go at the same time next year. Our vacation schedules don’t always work the same year to year. If we have to postpone to next year, it’ll have to be in April instead, which is typically not free dining.
I just wish they would open the Canadian passport office for processing. Even if they open the border, we aren't going anywhere (except on nexus) and the longer they wait, the bigger the backlog. My son't passport expires in January.
Technically, even with Nexus, you’re still supposed to be carrying a valid passport. I carry mine with me on all trips, despite using my Nexus for all crossings. Course my passport also has my work permit in it, which I also need to carry with me at all times when cross border.
I need to renew my health card and DL, and since I need a new photo, I can’t do it online. But the local service Ontario sites are closed, so I can’t do it in person either. I know they said they’re not penializing people who can’t get theirs renewed because of all this, but it still doesn’t make me feel good about not being able to get it done.

I think what I don't like about all of these shutdowns is just that...I'm stuck! I CAN'T get things done or go places. It's almost like a sense of being trapped.
Things are starting to open up now. You may not be able to go across the border but you can go shopping next week. At least here in Ontario you can. You can always go camping

Things are starting to open up now. You may not be able to go across the border but you can go shopping next week. At least here in Ontario you can. You can always go camping
Camping isn’t open yet here . You can go into the provincial parks but no camping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!