When Does It Start to Feel "Real?"--A Nov 2017 PTR UPDATE- 11/12/17 Final Thoughts. <3

Just read thru your PTR. Your plans are falling into place! You've been planning and saving for a long time. Hope you decide to do a TR so we can see how it all turned out! My DH and will be there early Dec. and are also staying at POFQ. We've stayed there before and really like it. The small size is great.

Just read thru your PTR. Your plans are falling into place! You've been planning and saving for a long time. Hope you decide to do a TR so we can see how it all turned out! My DH and will be there early Dec. and are also staying at POFQ. We've stayed there before and really like it. The small size is great.
Thank you! I'm planning to do a TR. The only thing that makes me consider not doing it is the fact that I'm not much of a picture taker, personally. I'll try my best to remember to take lots of pictures, though. I'm glad to hear you like POFQ enough to return. :D

MAGIC BANDS!!!!!!!

LOOK WHAT ARRIVED YESTERDAY!!
IMAG0177_1.jpg

Here we are modeling them:
IMAG0178_1.jpg

As you can see, I selected a sunny yellow, and Jacob picked purple. <3

My brother received his on Thursday and sent me a picture. His is Green.

The free luggage tags they send with them are super cute as well.

By the way, I ordered our Be Our Guest breakfast for 11/19/17. I'm going with the Croque Madame and Jacob has selected the assorted cured meats and cheese platter. I love breakfast.

We also worked out how we are going to get to the airport. We're going to drive from Louisville to Cincinnati Monday 11/13/17 after I get off of work. Hopefully we'll arrive before midnight because we'll have an early start the next morning!

My dad agreed to take us to the airport before he goes to work in the morning, even though he'll have to take my brother the morning before. (His flight got moved up to 8:50am, which means all of my worrying about his evening ADR was for naught.) Our flight departs at 8:50am so we're going to head out around 6:30 and I'll have to say my goodbyes to my fluffy son who will be staying with my parents while we're gone.
22154284_10214816171465615_214202201611879563_n.jpg

"Don't leave me, Mommy!" :guilty:
My Dad is off the next week for Thanksgiving so will be able to pick us up when we come back the next Tuesday. Our return flight is going to land at CVG at 1:50.

It's all coming together, friends!

Ok, I'm all caught up! Just hitting on some highlights I noticed.

I made it a goal to save $52 for the first week of the year, then $51 the next week, so on and so forth through the year and by the end of it all, we would have saved, by that method alone, almost half of what would be needed for a trip!
That's a great idea!

I'm pretty pleased, because it looks like only one updated to be more crowded, and even then it's a day at Epcot, which I hear absorbs crowds pretty well anyway.
You're really picking a great week. Yeah, it gets a little crowded the weekend before Thanksgiving, but you should have no problem getting things done while you're there. And yes, if you have to pick a park to go to on a crowded day, EPCOT is a good one.

Tangierine Café in Epcot? Open to other counter service, but like this idea since it’s not basic American fare.
I've heard great things about Tangierine. Personally, I like La Cantina in Mexico.

Backlot Express for lunch? Again, open to change.
I've always liked this place. It really isn't anything special, but I've never been disappointed by it.

Maybe park hop in the evening after Epcot? Either to have QS at Harambe Market in AK or at Pecos Bill in MK. This is flexible and may change that day! Who knows?
Both good choices. I'd also consider Satu'li Canteen in AK. It's something different and it is pretty good.

So the other night I made my husband watch those trip planning videos from the Disney website. And my goodness are those outdated. The Animal Kingdom video was hyping up Rivers of Light opening in the future. No mention of Pandora at all. LOL.
Yeah, just go to Youtube and skip the official stuff. :rotfl2:

MK: Dumbo and Haunted Mansion (last time we were there, Haunted Mansion was being refurbished, so I missed it! First time as a 6 yr old, I was too afraid to open my eyes)
Oh wow! This should be a fun trip with a lot of "firsts."

Questions: What would you do? Breakfast or lunch? Also, if we do go with Breakfast, how early can we get into the restaurant? Is it possible to be seated before our 8:40 reservation time? What is your experience in this area?
I'd do lunch, just because I always see that first hour or 2 of the park being open as prime time to get things done. But it looks like the decision is made, and I'm sure it will work fine. It is just my preference.

The Voyage, considered the best Wooden Roller coaster in the world. . . Not my favorite. It’s too long and nothing about it is particularly special. Just a big, long roller coaster. Nothing to make it unique from any other woodie. I rode it twice to try to give it a fair chance, even. I liked it but just didn't really get too into it. I have ridden the longest wooden coaster in the world, btw, and it doesn’t feel like it’s too long. Goes to show, no matter how great a ride looks on paper, it’s the feeling you get on it that matters.
::yes:: I love the Beast. And the last time I was at KI, I swear the Vortex gave me a rougher ride than the Beast.

This is Day Two at Epcot. Some of these steps admittedly make no sense. Like why would I tour the whole Mexico pavilion before getting on Frozen Ever After just to ride Gran Fiesta Tour right after? That's a bit out of order, lol.
I think you have to take the touringplans plans with a grain of salt. I subscribe to TP and I'll sometimes run a custom touringplan like that, but I never follow them. I might use it to give me a rough outline, but really once you're there you just have to have a feel of what works for you at that time. Just know what rides are a walk on pretty much all day. You don't want to do those first thing in the morning. Also, if it is later in the day and you see something with a shorter than normal wait... well, take advantage of it. Just have an idea of which rides get long standby waits and if you see something that makes sense, go with it!

Please critique these plans and if you have any experience with mid-November, how accurate do you think these touring plans times will be? How much walking around will we wind up doing? Any advice on how to better navigate these attractions, please let me know!!
I think you've got a great start here. Like I said, I wouldn't worry about following them to a T. I've not been the week you're going, but I've been the week after Thanksgiving and mid December and those trips were during a very similar crowd rating. The wait times are probably very reasonable. TP does a great job with their wait time projections. The projected wait time on the Lines app is typically far more accurate than anything you'll find on MDE. You really just have to go with what feels right when you're there. Maybe you do feel like walking across the park to hit the ridiculously short wait for BTMRR... or maybe your feet are sore and you don't want to. A lot of things will affect the way you want to tour the parks once you're there, so use this as a tool, not as any kind of firm plan.

FastPass suggestions? Don't you find it annoying that their are different tiers of attractions yet there are not even that many attractions in the first place?
::yes:: I hate that.

I got him a Via Napoli for 8:30 which should give him plenty of time to get into Epcot and make it to his reservation! Hooray for me. (I also hear that Via Napoli is better than Biergarten anyway.)
A lot of people have differing opinions, but Via Napoli all day, every day for me.

Spaceship Earth--9:30
Mission Space--10:45
Frozen Ever After --6:10
of course I wish that I could have gotten FEA a little earlier in the day.
I think this will work fine. I'm sure you'll do Soarin first? You could probably do Soarin and Living with the Land before RD. And then if the Spaceship Earth standby line is short, you could do what I did and just change that FP to something else. You might not have the 4th FP yet, but you can always change the ones you have if you find short standby lines.

It's weird, though. Once I plugged my FP+ selections into touring plans, some of my days wound up longer and it told me that it would not use my 7DMT fastpass because it would only make my wait times longer... touring plans is so weird. Does anyone else use it?
Again... take it with a grain of salt. You don't not use a 7DMT FP. Ever. TP probably just wants you to RD it or FP it at some other specific time that day? I didn't pay that close attention, but the TP plan is always going to plan your day for the exact things you checked off. If you add a restroom break here, or just decide on a whim to ride the carousel, it doesn't take any of that into account. It is trying to optimize the exact information you give it, so I would ignore any feedback it gives you like this.

I love amusement/theme parks in general, but at heart, I am truly a rollercoaster enthusiast.
I like you. Me too. Love a good coaster. Disney needs more.

We got to the park at their version of "Rope Drop." It cracks me up how people there act like they're in a 5k when they open the park. Do people act like that at WDW? Some people really and truly sprint to their favorite ride.
::yes:: That's why they've changed Rope Drop procedures several times over the last few years to try to figure it out. Disney is good about having CM's walk the crowd into the park at a reasonable pace, but it used to be an absolute stampede going to TSMM in the mornings in DHS. That has certainly changed over the last few years.

My new Animal Kingdom plans will involve rope-dropping Navi River Journey, which I think will be more manageable.
::yes:: They say the queue for Flight of Passage is worth seeing. But I'd rather skip the wait. Navi River Journey should be a walk on if you can make RD. My next TR update will be our morning doing this.

In other news, my lose-weight-before-Disney plans are coming along fairly well. I lost another 5 or so pounds in September. I'm losing weight a little bit slower than I maybe wanted, but I'll take it! I've been feeling pretty good too.
Congratulations on the loss! Feeling good is the more important than any numbers.

5. Park Hours: The park hours for MK have changed slightly for our week there. MK will now be opening an hour earlier on most days. This means that our BOG breakfast is no longer a PPO breakfast. :/
That stinks. But really, with a low crowd week and having plans, I think it will be just fine. Pre-ordering food will help and I wouldn't be afraid to ride a few things before breakfast if you can get there at RD. They should work with you even if you're a few minutes late for breakfast.

Feels Unreal, But in a Good Way!
And some thoughts about snacks.:mickeybar

Our trip is closing in on us quickly. We are now only 12 days away and according to our touringplans.com checklist, it is a good time to get a room request ready. Really, I don’t care too much about where we are placed, but I think I am going to try for a room with a view of the River because that sounds lovely.

My husband’s anniversary at his current job was this month and as a bonus, he got $200 in gift cards. He chose to get $100 in Amazon and another $100 in Disney Gift card for souvenirs. :) I am shooting for us to bring about $300 for souvenirs and hope that will be enough. Any feedback? How much do you usually spend on souvenirs at Disney World?

I have been really watching what I eat for the last like 3 months and it has been paying off, slowly. But man, am I excited to just relax in Disney World and eat what I like. I’m hoping that the walking will help counteract all the eating, but I have read other’s reports where they still gain like 4 lbs while they’re in WDW because of the food! Oh well.

Here’s a list of my must-try snacks:

Dole Whip or the Pineapple upside down cake w/Dole Whip if I’m feeling extra indulgent

Gaston’s Warm Cinnamon Roll

A chocolate croissant and a Ham and Cheese Croissant from Les Halles in France

Plaza Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich

Specialty Pretzel—Cream Cheese or Pepper Jack

Anything from Kringla Bakeri og Kafe, but maybe a Berry Cream Puff?

Something from Karamel Kuche, maybe a brownie?

Mickey Crispy Treat

My husband says he wants his own Mickey Premium Bar, no sharing. Lol. I guess I'll have to get my own too then! :snooty:

Pulled Pork Cheese Fries from FlameTree Barbeque

Beignets—Obviously, that’s why we’re staying at FQ afterall

Baked Mac and Cheese at Eight Spoon Café

That’s my “bucket list.” We’ll see how many of these I get to! Please tell me any snacks that are must-dos for you so I may add them to my list! And, I’m remembering now, that I have 7 days and 2 snacks each day. 14 snacks. And my Husband too. 28 snacks between the two of us! I’ll be certain to try a lot of good stuff, but I’ll probably be stuffing my suitcase with candy and fudge to take home because I do not know if I’ll be able to get through 14 snacks with all the food I’ll be eating!!

Always sooooo exciting when the magic bands come!
:cool1: I was sooo happy to get them. My husband was nice enough to wait until I got home from work to open it up.

Wish we Canadians could get our Magic Bands sent to our homes :(
It is really convenient. :(

You're really picking a great week. Yeah, it gets a little crowded the weekend before Thanksgiving, but you should have no problem getting things done while you're there. And yes, if you have to pick a park to go to on a crowded day, EPCOT is a good one.
Thank you for the validation!

I've heard great things about Tangierine. Personally, I like La Cantina in Mexico.
I'll try to keep that in mind in case I start craving Mexican and not Mediterranean.

::yes:: I love the Beast. And the last time I was at KI, I swear the Vortex gave me a rougher ride than the Beast.
I'm originally from Cincinnati so have a lot of experience with both rides. The beast I can usually ride 2x in a row and several times a day without feeling the pain, but Vortex is always a one and done for me. Last time I was there, I saw an older gentleman struggle to get out of his seat on the Vortex and he was so disoriented that he fell on the station platform and busted his head open. It is pretty unforgiving.

I think you have to take the touringplans plans with a grain of salt.
I'm starting to pick up on this.

TP does a great job with their wait time projections.
At least there's this. And it's quite comforting to know.

I like you. Me too. Love a good coaster. Disney needs more.
I agree! I heard a man at church once claim that Space Mountain is like the fastest roller coaster in the world. I just had to shake my head. Not even close.

Congratulations on the loss! Feeling good is the more important than any numbers.
Thank you!
YAY for Magic Bands!
:dancer:

You are sooooo close!!!!

I wanted to try the Citrus Float in Adventrueland but the timing never worked out for us...

The Gelato Macaroons in France in EPCOT are really good! They are premade, so it is just whatever flavor they have made. I want to try the gelato brioche sandwich that they do there as well.

If you are a coffee drinker, you can use a snack credit for any size drink at the Starbucks locations.

We are now only 12 days away and according to our touringplans.com checklist, it is a good time to get a room request ready. Really, I don’t care too much about where we are placed, but I think I am going to try for a room with a view of the River because that sounds lovely.
Worth a try! The fax request form on touringplans really makes it simple. It may or may not work, but it is worth taking a couple of minutes to try.

I am shooting for us to bring about $300 for souvenirs and hope that will be enough. Any feedback? How much do you usually spend on souvenirs at Disney World?
Sounds reasonable to me. It really depends on you. You can spend as little or as much as you want. Sometimes I'll go wanting a T shirt and I just never see one I want the whole trip. Other times it might be 2 or 3 that I want. If you have any particular larger items you want, $300 might not be enough, but if you just want maybe a few T-shirts and some other odds and ends, you should be fine.

I’m hoping that the walking will help counteract all the eating, but I have read other’s reports where they still gain like 4 lbs while they’re in WDW because of the food! Oh well.
::yes:: It does. I eat way too much when I'm there and I find it is usually no change.

Gaston’s Warm Cinnamon Roll
::yes:: Love those things. Great use of extra snack credits at the end of the trip. Get a few to go and they're just as good the next morning for breakfast.

My husband says he wants his own Mickey Premium Bar, no sharing. Lol. I guess I'll have to get my own too then! :snooty:
Yeah, you can't share. Everybody needs their own!

The Gelato Macaroons in France in EPCOT are really good!
I've seen those now. They look really good, so I'll try to grab one.

If you are a coffee drinker, you can use a snack credit for any size drink at the Starbucks locations.
I'm not really a coffee drinker, but my husband can be and I've been know to drink a chocolatey frappacino from time to time.
If you have any particular larger items you want, $300 might not be enough,
As impractical as a trip to Disney is, I am too practical to buy any expensive art prints, sculptures, etc. So I should be good, lol.
I eat way too much when I'm there and I find it is usually no change.
That's encouraging.
Great use of extra snack credits at the end of the trip. Get a few to go and they're just as good the next morning for breakfast.
Sounds like a great idea!

Setbacks, Achievements, and Final Thoughts

As I type this, I'm listening to a Disney song playlist, getting absolutely hyped.

Tomorrow night, after I get off from what I bet will be the longest day of work I have ever endured, hubby, doggy and I will drive to Cincinnati to my parent's house. Unfortunately, we'll be driving two cars. . . The last week has been pretty horrible. My mom's mom is sick in rehab after a surgery for a broken leg, a woman I grew up going to church with had to have her feet amputated, work was busy and miserable, and I got in a car accident on Wednesday night. . .While my car was undriveable, I borrowed my other grandma's car. (Which meant my husband and I had to drive half way to Cincinnati to pick up the spare car from my parents that night). Good news, my car is fixed now, but that means we'll have to drive them both back so we can return my grandma's car.

We bought a seat belt for our dog today since he'll have to ride with one of us and we won't be able to/shouldn't hold him while we drive. He absolutely refuses to sit in his crate in the car. He wants to be with us if he can see us. I gave him a bath tonight so he'll be nice and pretty-smelling for my mom and dad.

We've been doing laundry and packing for the last two days and still have a few things to put away and pack up before tomorrow. DH is trying to finish up all his schoolwork before we go. He finished writing a paper today and is editing it right now next to me in the bed. Tomorrow, he is going to be taking his Latin final, which his professor graciously allowed him to take early since he would otherwise miss it while we're gone. He also has one online final to finish and then he'll be done.

Checking the weather has been really encouraging. There isn't supposed to be any rain while we're gone and temperatures with highs in the mid 70s on most days.

A few final notes in terms of touring plan: I think on our last day in the parks, if we have time and can swing it, we'll go to Epcot in the morning, then zip to Animal Kingdom to see Pandora in the dark and watch ROL. Then, since MK doesn't close until midnight, we'll pop over there to see the fireworks and enjoy the atmosphere. It will be a packed day if we do all that, but I think it will be a great way to end our week!

BTW, I made my goal to lose 20 pounds before our trip! Barely, but I did it! I'm not sure I would have been able to stay motivated without the great W.I.S.H community here on the boards.

Next time you hear from me, I will have traveled the (Walt Disney) World.

Congratulations on hitting your weight loss goal!!!! I love your idea for the last park day. It should be a lot of fun with some great highlights to end the trip if you can pull it off!

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!