When "exactly" is your best guess when the 50th anniversary will commence in 2021?

It's THREE YEARS away, so my guess of 04.20.2021 is as good as any...lol.

Being serious, I'm sure it'll be a long celebration. I wish for the days of "Year of a Million Dreams" celebrations at WDW, but I've long since given up sadly.

The amount of construction going on for this event is astonishing. In addition to the new/updated rides, new resorts, new lands, gondola system, and whatnot - there are huge projects to improve the roadways going on. I can't wait to enjoy all these upgrades!

I don't think all the new rides, lands and things are especially for the 50th. Most of these projects just happen to be finishing before or by 2021. Star Wars Land is supposed to open late 2019 - that's still about two years before the anniversary.

As long as they wait until 2021, I'll be happy, since we're planning a trip in the last quarter of 2020. ;)

2020 will be all about Galaxy’s Edge - I know they are pushing 2019 as the opening of it but for WDW it will be so late in that year that 2020 will be the fire “real” year with it

I think rat is supposed to open in 2020 but beyond that most of the big things will wait into 2021. So, at least relatively speaking, Q1 might be the “slowest” period for a while (maybe parts of Q4 2020 as well our side of the holidays)

Everyone has made good arguments for when we can expect the celebration to be. My guess is Summer 2021 or Sept - Oct 2021. The rest of 2018 and early 2019 is going to be for Toy Story Land. Late 2019 is going to be Galaxy's Edge. Gearing up and excitement for the 50th at least will start sometime in 2020.

One thing is for sure, the historic data for the crowd calendars and estimations is going to be pretty much useless for the next 3 years or so. The obvious dips in crowd levels will still hold. The school year will be quieter then the Summer. January and September should hold as some of the slower times. But beyond that, I wouldn't assume any of the estimations are going to be accurate with everything that is changing.

I hope that they hire SHAG again to do something similar that he did for the 50th at DL...I’m a huge fan of his

OOOOH I would love it to be a season of celebration and run for several months. It would be an awesome excuse to stave off the constant questions of, "When are we going back to Disney?" LOL *checks signature* Yep!

WOW - we are planning, if all goes well with our jobs, for our anniversary - May 1 to May 11 in 2021
DW will be 63, DH will be 65 and it will be our 35th anniversary ;)
We are currently alive and well. :goodvibes
Our children may also get rooms at our resort....
Our DS will be 29, with his DW and maybe also our DD will be 26, and either engaged or married.
A family celebration too !

We are thinking of the WL - a deluxe with possible adjoining rooms - since we may be the night time babysitters (grand kids)

I am excited that this November I will be making a short trip, mostly to see TSL and Mickey's 90th Birthday, but that I will then take a break in 2019 since I am not a Star Wars fan. My plan is to take a long break after this November, and return in November 2021, for the big 50 celebration. I'm sure that there's a chance it won't work out as planned, but the plan is to go big or go home. This means I will be saving for a good while, and staying a deluxe resort or at least a half stay at a deluxe resort, and do it for 14-16 days. But since I thought the start of the celebration would be October, I began to have second thoughts about Nov 2021, and began to entertain thoughts for planning it for Nov 2022. I did not want to attend close to the start of the celebration (afraid crowds might be insane, even though I know the entire celebration will have crowds). But 2022 is a much longer wait than even I actually wanted (since I'm looking forward to saving during the break). I did Disney 25 a good year or more into the celebration and had a great time. Was very happy to have experienced the celebration, knowing that it was going to be ending soon.

Anyway, I'm glad to see RTEETZ comment that it will more likely start in the summer. Those summer / vacation months will really pack in the new visitors for Disney 50. By November, at least I can say I'm not at the very beginning of the celebration. Hope it does start in July.

I am excited that this November I will be making a short trip, mostly to see TSL and Mickey's 90th Birthday, but that I will then take a break in 2019 since I am not a Star Wars fan. My plan is to take a long break after this November, and return in November 2021, for the big 50 celebration. I'm sure that there's a chance it won't work out as planned, but the plan is to go big or go home. This means I will be saving for a good while, and staying a deluxe resort or at least a half stay at a deluxe resort, and do it for 14-16 days. But since I thought the start of the celebration would be October, I began to have second thoughts about Nov 2021, and began to entertain thoughts for planning it for Nov 2022. I did not want to attend close to the start of the celebration (afraid crowds might be insane, even though I know the entire celebration will have crowds). But 2022 is a much longer wait than even I actually wanted (since I'm looking forward to saving during the break). I did Disney 25 a good year or more into the celebration and had a great time. Was very happy to have experienced the celebration, knowing that it was going to be ending soon.

Anyway, I'm glad to see RTEETZ comment that it will more likely start in the summer. Those summer / vacation months will really pack in the new visitors for Disney 50. By November, at least I can say I'm not at the very beginning of the celebration. Hope it does start in July.

Like Rteetz and others have mentioned is that they will want the celebration to be liek 15 months and start a bit before the actual date and go beyond it - I think trying to cover 2 summer seasons make sense

Also, you then have EPCOT's 40th in 2022 and I think some of the new construction in EPCOT has that in mind as much as WDW's 50th in 2021 - so maybe have the two celebrations back to back but I don't think they would overlap them much

My hunch is May 1, 2021 (a Saturday, Disney seems to like those) through mid-late September 2022. That’s about 500 days — the full anniversary year plus five months leading up to it. Everything might not be “online” on day one, but if they can time the “official” start to the opening of a big attraction (TRON?), they will. Similarly, the end might see them replace the decorations in phases (if they start replacing anniversary decorations with the fall decor reset in late August, for example) but the full force of the celebration will be for that core of two summers and the year in between.

My hunch is May 1, 2021 (a Saturday, Disney seems to like those) through mid-late September 2022. That’s about 500 days — the full anniversary year plus five months leading up to it. Everything might not be “online” on day one, but if they can time the “official” start to the opening of a big attraction (TRON?), they will. Similarly, the end might see them replace the decorations in phases (if they start replacing anniversary decorations with the fall decor reset in late August, for example) but the full force of the celebration will be for that core of two summers and the year in between.

I agree with this rough outline and thinking of decorations, maybe the end is like mid/end of August 2022 when they switch over to Halloween stuff.

We space about 3 years between our WDW vacations. First full family trip in June 2015, going Thanksgiving 2018, and then eyeballing 2021...then we realized 2021 is WDW 50th. Ages of the 3 kids makes co$t interesting. 2015, it was 10, 6, and 2. This year, it's 14, 9, and 6, so we have to bump to a suite and pay for DS6 food. 2021 bumps us to another 10+, while still being in a suite. The oldest has some disability, so he really won't be quite ready to be in his own separate room, even if he is 17+ at the time of stay. Now trying to find the best time to go to minimize crowds while also minimizing missed school days (DW is a teacher in the kids school district) will be interesting. School generally gets out around Memorial Day, barring snow days. Also, the Mon-Tues following Thanksgiving is off for the opening of buck-hunting season (no point having school if a third of the kids and staff are missing), so that is when we are going this year - 12 days but only missing 3 school days. I presume early June will be busy, but not as busy as late June and July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter