When is the best time to go in December?

froggy12

DIS Veteran Peace, Love, DANCE
Not sure if this is the right board to post this question on, but....

If you could choose any time in December to go to Disney when would it be? Like as far as the crowds and weather?...

Any help would be great! I would like to go to the Christmas celebration at Magiv Kingdom...THANKS!!!:D

The earlier in the month that you go the better the weather, the later the more the "Christmas feel" Our experience has been that despite what they say, it does take time to get all the Christmas decorations up. We typicaly go the first week of December. While the majority of the trees are up, some of the more subtle things are still going up. Conversely, we get about 50% of the days good for swimming. I would imagine that later in the month the fewer good swimming days there would be. All the pools are heated, but there is just so much swimming that I want to do when it's 65º out and cloudy.
One way or the other you'll still have a great time!

I hope Dec 12-16 are good days, we're going then. A few years ago, we were there from the 13th-20th, the 20th being a Saturday. The crowds were non-existant until the 20th, and the change on the 20th was amazing!!! We wanted to go back to a few rides in the MK, thinking it would be like the rest of the week. We waited for THREE ferries at the TTC before we got on one, and the monorail line, which would probably have been faster, was so long we didn't even consider getting in it. I will try to never be there again that close to Christmas.
As for swimming days, all the WDW pools are heated, including the ones at the water parks. It only got up into the 70's, but my sister's family from Washington State thought it was downright balmly and went to the water parks twice that week. As a Texan, I'm used to warmer weather before jumping in the pool, so my family didn't experience the water parks that trip.
It appeared to me all the Christmas decorations were in place, and if they weren't, I didn't notice. It was so beautiful, that is still one of my favorite trips.

We went this past December from Dec. 1- Dec. 6. That was a really good time to go. Even with it being Walt's 100th birthday on the 5th it still wasn't all too busy...mostly a bunch of media. But for some reason it was really HOT! And when I say hot I don't mean unusually warm for that time of year, I mean HOT! It was in the 90s still. My DH was mad because he doesn't like the heat and he thought this would be a good time to enjoy Disney without the heat. Other than that, it was THE PERFECT time to go if you're into the whole Christmas thing. It's pretty and all, but I still perfer Halloween :)

Anytime early in the month is GREAT!!! The decorations are all up, the Christmas music is being piped in and it really gets you in the holiday spirit. The weather is usually really nice then too. We've had swimming days in early Dec. Very light crowds. A truly wonderful time to go!

Enjoy!

We have been there twice during the first week of Dec. and had 10-15 min. waits for most of the rides. I would suggest that you bring sweatshirts and jackets for evening, but during the day it has stayed very nice.

I do agree with one of the other posts, that you get about 50% time to swim. Swim during the day, and not a night! Burr cold.

The decorations are so beautiful then and it really gets you in the Christmas mood when you return back home. Hint: Plan a trip to the Osborne Lights at the MGM-it's a must!

Have a great time!

If you want less crowds I think the earlier the better. We went the 9th through the 16th last year and the crowds got steadily worse as the trip went on. By the 14 MVMCP it was really crowded - I wish we had done it earlier in the trip! This year we are going the 4th through the 11th and hoping for less crowds. All the decorations start going up right after Thanksgiving and the festivities start at the beg of Dec. Have fun
TJ

Thankyou so much for your replies. It is great that the best time to go is in the first part of december! my birthday is the 14th!!! He he :p Although, I am kind of upset that it is cold.....is it warm enough to go to water parks?

We've gone during the first half of December for a number of years. The weather has usually been nice, warm but still comfortable. We've only had a few days that were truly cool. Usually Blizzard Beach is open in December, I believe Typhoon Lagoon usually does its annual maintenance during that time. River Country is usually not open then either. We lived in Phoenix for a number of years (used to HOT weather) and found many days we could swim comfortably both before and now with DD's.

Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite, so that would be a disapointment if I could not go. Is there any way I can find out the exact times Typhoon Lagoon is open? Thanks for your help!:D

I believe that Typhoon Lagoon closes on Oct 31 until Dec 25th or so. You can always check the Disney.com and they should be able to tell you the waterpark schedules for Dec., or within the next month or so.

Michelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter