When Mom isn't around anymore

I lost my mom and dad five months apart about 8 years ago. It’s still hard. Fortunately I work weekends, so I can kind of tune out the holiday itself, but all the hoopla leading up to it is tough. I hope it gets easier eventually.

I lost my mom 22 years ago (I had just turned 23). Every year it hits me a little differently. But one thing I have learned about grief is that the hole that person leaves in your heart never goes away....but it...changes. Softens. If you allow it, it gets more bittersweet than bitter. Some years are harder than others, and some years it hits me on totally random days instead of a holiday or anniversary. It's unpredictable. I've learned to just go with it, feel the things I need to feel, and smile that she left such an indelible mark on my life that she can still touch me 22 years later.
I’m rarely overcome with grief over my mother’s loss; she was 98 and had spent 3 years languishing in dementia. She was gone long before she died and I think we processed letting go a little at a time. I do however, spend a fair amount of time thinking about just how fortunate I was and thanking God for having had such a wonderful Mom. Mother’s Day just turns that dial up a little and I actually enjoy savouring treasured memories of her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter