When Renting, do your points ever NOT get rented, and you just lose them?

Can_Dannn

Mouseketeer
Wondering how often people who rent out their points never get an offer for them, and the end up just losing them?!

Sounds painful to rent them out - wait and wait - and wait - and then year end comes, and you lose them?!

Wondering how often people who rent out their points never get an offer for them, and the end up just losing them?!

Sounds painful to rent them out - wait and wait - and wait - and then year end comes, and you lose them?!
Since the DVC Rent/Trade Board is not designed as a discussion forum, your question has been moved here to DVC Member Services.

Yes, many DVC Members end up losing their points for a number of reasons. Many lose their points without even trying to make reservations for others.

There really is no reason to have your points expire if you are willing to rent them out. The exception to that could be if you wait until the last minute to try to do so. Otherwise, right now anyways, the demand for points is far higher than the supply of points available to rent.

I only have ever lost points if I just had a few left over, that were unbankable. For instance, I currently have 1 point sitting in my account from AKL, March Use Year. It was previously banked and is going to expire, but it is too little to rent out by itself, and all my other points from this current use year are already gone. If I felt like it, I could make a rental by borrowing from next year, and use these points up before the end of February, but that seems like too much of a hassle for just one point.

I have had 5 or 6 points left over, now and then, and have always rented them out, by borrowing whatever else was needed. But I prefer not to do that if I can help it, in addition to the fact that such 'nearly expired' points are generally worth less.

I have rented numerous points that were within a couple of months of expiring, by either doing it myself, or going through the standard brokers. But when you get down that close to the end, sometimes you need to lower prices to rent them out, especially when the only locations left are less popular. I have had to lower my asking price, at times, to $11 or $12. Whereas, I usually shoot for $17 or $18, and I often settle for $14 to $16.

The brokers are often able to place points that are within a month or two of expiring, but, obviously, the more time you have before the end, the more likely you are to succeed.

I currently have some points from the Feb 2020 Use year and the Sept 2020 Use Year that I am just putting up for rent. I expect to rent them out soon (since those points have been banked and must be used) and then I will sit around with the remaining points and if I decide not to use them, I will bank the other points, and repeat the cycle next year.

It happened to a few people in the midst of the recession. The supply demand curve shifted. Far fewer people had the money to go to Disney, and some that did decided to sit tight. Disney ran a lot of specials to entice people to come. And a lot of owners decided to try and rent out their points instead of taking a vacation - a lot more points being rented, less interest in renting points.

The sad part about this - and its sister occurrence - low buy in prices resale - is that statistically when you NEED to sell or rent, that's when lots of people need to sell or rent, and there are fewer buyers.

Last year we had bought a distressed resale contract that had 124 unbankable, expiring points. It took a little longer to close and by the time points were in my account, we had less than 2 weeks before they expired. I rented them at a pretty steep discount (<$10/pp) within hours of posting them on the R/T board here. Luckily there was availability. Getting something for them was better than nothing (we had actually looked at trying to use them ourselves - classic Disney Math!) and it all went very smoothly.

If I were in @Frederic Civish 's position with a few stranded points, I wouldn't bother, though.

In 15+ years of ownership, I have not lost any points. I have had to borrow a few points to make a one night rental a time or two and at a discount, but have managed that very well. To date, I have always rented the points out myself without a broker. A little more work, but more dollars in my pocket.

Never. I would hate to have that happen; it would feel like throwing money away. Back in 2014 when I purchased a VGC contract that included banked points that were shortly going to expire I lowered my asking price to $8 per point and rented them privately (normally I rent through one of the brokers).

Back in November I had 31 points unbankable points that ended up stranded between trips. I reached out to David's and they were able to take them. I ended up borrowing 1 point to make the reservation work, but they were able to place the points in under a week at regular price. I think a few years ago they had a higher minimum that you had to be willing to part with, but these days they have so many renters waiting they will take just about any amount.

If you had points that were expiring in 2 weeks (!) because you thought you could bank to RCI, but couldn't, and MS won't give an exception, and you haven't posted recently enough to use the DISboards here to post your points, what avenue would you pursue to rent some of them out to make sure you lose as few as possible? We've moved into the "something is better than nothing" phase....

If you had points that were expiring in 2 weeks (!) because you thought you could bank to RCI, but couldn't, and MS won't give an exception, and you haven't posted recently enough to use the DISboards here to post your points, what avenue would you pursue to rent some of them out to make sure you lose as few as possible? We've moved into the "something is better than nothing" phase....
I would maybe put together a list of what is available, list the points out on the cheap to hopefully at least cover your dues, and post them in a Facebook rental group.

It's pretty much a single night here or there, or 5 nights at Aulani....which significantly reduces the number of shoppers. I am in a few FB groups, but none really focus on Aulani much.... But it's at least a shot!

It's pretty much a single night here or there, or 5 nights at Aulani....which significantly reduces the number of shoppers. I am in a few FB groups, but none really focus on Aulani much.... But it's at least a shot!
I hope you get something rented! pixiedust:

When renting out my points it normally takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks. Definitely the points have always been gone before the ad expires here. Most of the time I am also having to borrow as repeat renters ask for points while I don't have an ad up. I typically only place an ad twice a year, once at 11 months for my BWV/BLT points and then around 7 months out for my OKW/SSR points.

If you don't end up renting them, just make sure you are still in your banking window and bank them for next year.

I would contact some of the online Rental Agencies immediately and offer to place your points with them for $10 a point, or something like that. They might actually be able to come up with someone who wants Aulani or VB or HHI on the cheap.

I’ve only rented once, and within a few hours they were all gone via an agency, I had to actually borrow 6 points to rent everything to make up a booking. Easiest money I ever made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter