When to go 7-year Olds--what is the least crazy option?

Is going Labor Day with 7-year-olds crazy?

• Not crazy--go over labor day

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Crazy--go in November

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Crazy--go MLK day

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
I have 7-year old Star Wars-loving sons, who want more than anything in the world right now (their words, not mine) to do Savi's workshop, and they have been doing chores and yard work all the time to earn lightsaber money one dollar at a time. I was skeptical at first but they have really kept at it and I am so proud of them and love them death. Which brings me to an "am I crazy" gut check.

So the original plan was for us to try to visit SWGE on November 16 as a whole family (me, them, DH, and our DS4) on our one day at WDW following a cruise. Because the cruise won't get us into the park until mid-morning, I am worried we'll arrive too late to get in. Now that I've been seeing how hard they are working to save their $$, that would be heartbreaking.

Now I am wondering, what if I take them down labor day weekend, just the three of us? I looked at airfare and hotel availability, and it is surprisingly affordable (still plenty of value and mods available, as well as Swan/Dolphin). My DH and DS4 wouldn't mind missing SWGE and we could do Epcot instead on the Nov. trip instead, which they would both enjoy (my DS4 LOVES Frozen ever after and would ride it all day if we let him, and my DH loves world showcase). The part that makes me worry is that I know September 1 is the first day of EEMH and I am not sure how they would handle getting up that early, and I worry that either we will get up that early for nothing because everyone will be swarming there at 4am, or we will get in but they will be too sleepy to enjoy anything because they're kids and can't chug coffee to deal with it like I can.

The last option is to wait and see if the November 16 attempt works out, and if not, try to book them a trip over MLK day in January as a birthday present (their birthday is end of December, but no way am I going to try to do it then and fight the Christmas/New Year crowds!). The upside is we might get to ride ROTR, but the downside is that it may well be much more crowded then because of ROTR, and it is a longer time for them to wait when they've been wanting to go for so long now already.

I get this is a #firstworldproblem to have, but would welcome any insight into what you think is the best strategy here.

If you go over labor day or mlk day would you still only have one day to visit the park? Or would you have a couple days worth of tickets? I'd say if you have more than one day to visit then I'd choose one of those weekends.

If you are most concerned about them getting into Savi's to build a lightsaber I would say wait for November. They opened reservations for Savi's at DL where you can now book your spot in advance, they might do the same thing here.
September 1st is an unkown because we don't have any reports on crowds and operations so I think Nov would be best, and if that doesn't work out for you then you can do MLK
It is going to be crowded regardless of date (not the same crowds but, in general, crowded)

If you are most concerned about them getting into Savi's to build a lightsaber I would say wait for November. They opened reservations for Savi's at DL where you can now book your spot in advance, they might do the same thing here.
September 1st is an unkown because we don't have any reports on crowds and operations so I think Nov would be best, and if that doesn't work out for you then you can do MLK
It is going to be crowded regardless of date (not the same crowds but, in general, crowded)

I did not know this and now that I see it that it absolutely bumps the November plan to the top of the list. 60 day reservations would be so helpful!!! It is the being-unable-to-really-plan part that is killing me. Fingers crossed they will do the same thing at WDW that they are doing at DL.

I did not know this and now that I see it that it absolutely bumps the November plan to the top of the list. 60 day reservations would be so helpful!!! It is the being-unable-to-really-plan part that is killing me. Fingers crossed they will do the same thing at WDW that they are doing at DL.
And you could still have MLK weekend as backup plan then too and still be right before 60 day advance window!
Good for your boys on the hard work! When my oldest was 5 I did the same thing kinda-she really wanted the cinderella dress from Disney store to be Cinderella at halloween-well for this new mom it was (for me) crazy expensive-so to stall I told her if she could do some extra things around house and save her bday money from grandparents (her bday in October) then I would pitch in half - this also gave me time to save! Let me tell you-that dress was sooooo loved and cared for it went through my second daughter too!! and when we gave it away to a friends girl it was still in pretty good shape (although getting worn). I hope your boys enjoy their light saber just as much!!

Aww I have no insight on this but I hope you're able to make it work!! I am having the same issue with the unable to plan part as we will be there in late September and building a light saber is the only thing on my sister's to do list. But it's much less cute since she's 36. 🤣

And you could still have MLK weekend as backup plan then too and still be right before 60 day advance window!
Good for your boys on the hard work! When my oldest was 5 I did the same thing kinda-she really wanted the cinderella dress from Disney store to be Cinderella at halloween-well for this new mom it was (for me) crazy expensive-so to stall I told her if she could do some extra things around house and save her bday money from grandparents (her bday in October) then I would pitch in half - this also gave me time to save! Let me tell you-that dress was sooooo loved and cared for it went through my second daughter too!! and when we gave it away to a friends girl it was still in pretty good shape (although getting worn). I hope your boys enjoy their light saber just as much!!
Aww, that is such a sweet story! I secretly plan to make up the difference if they get at least halfway too--but don't want to discourage them from trying to earn the whole amount so that is on the down low. I think they have a decent shot of each getting to at least $150 at the rate they are going though :)

Aww I have no insight on this but I hope you're able to make it work!! I am having the same issue with the unable to plan part as we will be there in late September and building a light saber is the only thing on my sister's to do list. But it's much less cute since she's 36. 🤣
Good luck, and hope you get in to Savi's! We are all kids at heart to some degree ;) I went absolutely bananas this morning when my DH said we could upgrade to the Poly as a bday present to me. Dole whip--here I come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter