When to go - help select dates!

C

catwho

We thought we knew when we were going and then life happened. My parents were going to go with us and we were going to stay off-site (not my choice) at a condo that was only going to cost us $100 total for the week (a friend was going to let us use it at the date change cost or something like that) Well, we were misinformed that we could have up to 8 people in the condo and found out we could only have 6 so my parents backed out (it was their friend) so we "lost" the nearly free accomodations. So in order to go we have to step back and re-organize and figure out finances. We will either need to stay at POR-AB (we are a family of 5) or get a *really* good deal at one of the deluxes. So we are looking at backing our trip to the second week in March. This is the latest we have ever gone. Our calendar is really open since we homeschool, but we would have preferred to go earlier. We may be able to go the last week in February *if* we can manage it and get that "good deal" We refuse to go during Mardi Gras as it has started to be a crowded week. We also don't want a repeat of running into cheerleaders or dance teams again. Does anyone know when these groups are going to be there? Anything going on either the last week of February or the 2nd week of March that would mean more than normally crowded parks (this is why we like to go in January!)

Hopefully we can make our minds up in the next 2 weeks, but we would love some input!

:earsgirl:

I think there are codes out for stays between 2/17 and 4/9-I would call and check the rates and possibly book something before the codes expire on the 27th.

You should be able to get a good deal no matter where you want to stay-plus you will be onsight-which is always a plus.

As far as when to go, I would avoid president's week (from what I've heard) We went to VB the second week of March last year and it was a great time-not too busy. Others should have more info on the best times to go.

The info about codes can be found on mousesavers.com and the info is also on the Disney website as of today. You may be able to get 2 rooms with the deals they have right now or you can check and see if there is a deluxe room of some kind available with the codes.

Good luck. Have a good time

sorry, I don't know when those groups are there. I can tell you we stayed at POR Dec 21-24 and it was wonderful!
So, If you have to stay there, it is worth it!

Have a great trip!
Lisajl

Go to www.disneyworldsports.com and click on other sports. This gives you the info what groups are going to be there and when. This is how I found out some sort of cheerleading goup will be their when I'm there 3rd week in March. Oh well hopefully they will be mostly at MGM and at their competitions. :rolleyes:

kmermaid, what we found with the dance team and cheerleaders is that they start trickling in on Thursday and are there in full force on Friday. I think that Friday is a "free day" where they can go to the parks. They were everywhere in MK. We found them to be (as a whole - I'm sure there are individuals who aren't like this) very rude. They would walk in pods of 10-12 all linking arms so to make a big chain and barge through crowds. Several times we had a large group come cut in line to join up with friends that were further ahead. My dh was extremely annoyed by this. The one thing that really made us the most angry was the lack of supervision. We saw *very few* adults with these (mostly) girls. When we were on Small World there was a boatfull of them in the boat ahead of us. They were SCREAMING the words to the song so loudly that we couldn't hear the music ourselves. We had made a challenge for our kids to try to pick out as many different languages as they could. Well, they couldn't because they couldn't hear at all. Friday night the room that conjoined with ours was hosting a wild sex party. How did we know? Well, let's just say they were very vocal and left *nothing* to the imagination. We called guest services several times to no avail.

They stay at the AS resorts (all of them) and they usually fill the place. We had thought of staying an extra night but every room in the resort was booked (should have insisted on a free night at a deluxe after the night we went through LOL!) I believe that Saturday is their big day, so they shouldn't be that much of a "problem" once their competition begins. Looks like we will be there the same time. But fortunately NOT staying at AS's this time!

Well hopefully I won't run into the rude ones or they will get an earful from me. I don't save up my hard earned $ to get butted in front of (unless they have fastpass!).

believe me, they got an earful several times. My parents were there at the same time, but over at AK. There were a few there as well. My dad was annoyed because they kept bumping into him nearly knocking him over. Happened several times. They were on the Asian tiger walking trail and he said that the whole time these girls were just moaning about "how hot it was" and how "boring it was" and "how they should have gone to MK instead." Finally my dad told them, "Well, I wish you had too so I wouldn't have to hear you complain all the time!" LOL!!

We'll provide a united front! I'm the same way. We skrimp and save all year so we can go on our vacation and I don't want it ruined by a bunch of flighty half dressed teenagers who left their manners at home with mama.

We have been many times the second week in March and it is a great time to go. The weather was perfect and parks very manageable. Easter is very late this year so you shouldn't have any problem with the Easter crowds. POR is also our favorite resort. Enjoy it - you'll have a great time.

We went last year in March 8-16 and it was very crowded! We had less crowds at Christmas-because of the longer hours.

I would wait and go in May-especially since you homeschool. March is spring break for many southern schools.

LOL! Julesmom, it's too darn hot then. That's when this southern family is heading indoors for its summer hybernation :D I think if we can avoid Mardi Gras week we will do ok since Spring Break usually doesn't start until the last week in March. Partly due to testing schedules for schools (first part of March is when most schools give those dreaded SAT's and the like) Thanks for the idea though. May is just too hot and too crowded. We are going to play better next year so we can go in January again!

We were at CBR last year, the first week of March. Crowds seemed very low, and we didn't notice any screaming hordes of cheerleaders. Busses were great, we never waited for more than 10 minutes, usually much less. It was also warm enough for us to swim every day...my daughter was thrilled about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter