When to go in 2020 for warm weather and manageable crowds

KJ1981

Earning My Ears
I am planning our family’s first trip to Disneyland - kids ages 5 and 8 will want to spend time at the pool in addition to the parks, and we’d like to also go to the beach for a few days in Orange County. So would like to go when the weather is likely to be warm. We have been to WDW several times, but since this will be our 1st DLR experience would prefer to go when it’s not super crowded. Planning to stay at Disneyland Hotel. School calendar is a consideration but not a deal-breaker. Any recommendations for a specific time of the year?

Personally I like summer when most of the AP's are blocked. I have been in late July through mid-August. I was there once the first day of unblocked APs in August and that day was insane. But, it can be really hot during that time of the year. Not as humid as say Florida in August but I know on at least two trips, the days got up into the 100s. I went last year in October and actually found the crowds to be worse than when I have gone in August but the weather was nicer; not too hot and not super chilly though I was not too keen on going on Splash or Grizzly River and getting wet. I am looking forward to going back in August just to be able to ride those 2 rides and not be freezing.

I think it is hard to gauge manageability of crowds for any time of year; there isn't really a "slow" time at DL plus SWGE is an unknown factor. My best advice is to plan a time that works for you and roll with the flow. It will be easier to make decisions once we can see how SWGE impacts crowds this summer.

What is your idea of warm? As someone who grew up in the desert and went to college in Phoenix, my idea of “warm” is 80-95. I don’t think it’s “hot” until it’s pushing 100. I know other people find 70-80 warm.
June is nice, but can be gloomy, hence the “June Gloom”. Early July is also doable. I loved July because it felt like summer. I didn’t have to bring a jacket with me, and I wasn’t miserably hot while walking around. It really doesn’t get hot until late July, then through August-September.

What is your idea of warm? As someone who grew up in the desert and went to college in Phoenix, my idea of “warm” is 80-95. I don’t think it’s “hot” until it’s pushing 100. I know other people find 70-80 warm.
June is nice, but can be gloomy, hence the “June Gloom”. Early July is also doable. I loved July because it felt like summer. I didn’t have to bring a jacket with me, and I wasn’t miserably hot while walking around. It really doesn’t get hot until late July, then through August-September.
Great point, I’m thinking at least 75-80 degrees. This is really helpful, thanks! Being from the Midwest, California weather is confusing to me!

These threads from this sticky (* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!) at the top of the first page will have lots of great information for you:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread! Pre-SWGE, but still very helpful.
Detailed Weather Data for DLR -- reliably warmest months will be July through October
"Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098 -- for reference
"Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983 -- this has a huge impact on crowds at DLR -- always check that AP Blockout Calendar!
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/-- On site and off site have pros and cons at DLR -- on site at DLR is not the same as it is at WDW and off site is not the same, either.
2019 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR -- this will give you some idea of where the major school breaks fall. NB that Southern CA has traditional, year round, and home school calendars. And that the districts that affect DLR the most come from CA (Southern and Northern), OR, WA, AZ, NV, and UT -- that's a LOT of school districts!
Do you like Halloween? Halloween Time is busy, but a super fun time in the parks. Holiday Time at Christmas is also a wonderful time to visit.
It's better for a first visit to aim for a peak time (vs. a non-peak time) -- you'll get longer hours, more staffing, more entertainment, nighttime entertainment every night (instead of weekends only), fewer refurbs, rides running at full capacity, etc. When the parks are ready to handle the crowds, things run very smoothly and you don't feel the crowds so much.
We tell everyone here: don't try to second guess the crowds at DLR -- it's complicated and not always a winning game -- choose the time that works best for you, then come back here to double check that nothing crazy will be going on at the same time. With good planning and a positive attitude, even the busiest time can be a magical time at DLR!

it's difficult if not impossible to predict crowds. I gave up a while ago. With special ticket offerings and other events that are hard to predict, it's a fools game.

It's easier to predict weather, but there are always exceptions... I was in California from June 9 to 17, and the first 3 days were close to 90 or even 100 degrees, and the rest were more comfortable (for me) at around 75 to 80 degrees. The mornings (and evenings) are always cooler, even on hotter days, maybe as low as high 50's. It was always shorts weather, but it helped to have a jacket for the early morning and evenings.

For what you're looking for, I think that late April or May would be a good time to go. I've gone twice during this period and experienced great weather and reasonable crowds. It was warm and sunny, but not uncomfortably hot like it can get in the summer and early fall. As a native Californian I can handle the heat, but it feels SO much worse to me in Disneyland, surrounded by all the people and pavement. I won't even bother going from July to September. You never can tell when a heat wave will come through though. I've been in November around Thanksgiving when it was about 100 degrees and extremely humid. It was awful!

Remember May & June Grad Nites. With kids that age having a ton of high school seniors shouting R-rated language in the parks and lines might not be something you want to deal with at Disney. (You’ll see Grad Nite comments from “Grad Nite was the park day from hell” to “kids were so well behaved we barely noticed them”).

I would look to July. It will probably be hot but the parks will be operating at full hours and entertainment schedules, refurbs will be at a minimum, water rides should be running.

If the OP wants weather warm enough to go to the beach (and wants to swim in the ocean), that means July through October. (And even at that, OP -- be aware that the Pacific is not like the Atlantic when it comes to warm water!) April, May, and June will not be warm enough to swim in the Pacific. And with June Gloom, the weather may not be warm enough by the OP's standards for a day at the beach with little ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!