When to plan trip to see Galaxy's Edge and all new Star Wars attractions?

Hannah nz

Earning My Ears
Hi
I was planning a trip with my partner this year but we decided to push it back to accommodate the new Star Wars attractions when they open. We are from NZ so this is a massive and expensive trip for us.
I see that Galaxy's Edge is due to open late 2019 - will September 2019 work or is that too early?
Should we aim for 2020 to be safe? We don't want it to be too busy and are flexible with the time of year.

Thanks for your help!

without knowing when it's going to open, there's no way to plan yet. All we know is that they say "in 2019."

If you're coming that far and it is a one and done thing for you, make it after 2019. Yes, it will be busy, it will be busy for a long time.

Thanks all for the replies. That's pretty much what I had thought. The Disney trip will be part of a larger Florida trip and yes it will probaby be a one and done at least until the future when /if we have children. We can cope with busy but don't want to do insane since we have loads of flexibility with dates.

Thanks again!

If pandora proved anything, it’s my justification of waiting til 2021 despite the fact of it opening in land first. Hell when I went and saw Last Jedi I had to sit on the floor the theater was so full

I have often seen some of the more experienced people on here suggest that it's not the best idea to plan a trip based around an attraction's estimated opening. I usually follow this advice.

A few people have asked me this since they know I'm a big disney world person. I always say wait til Spring/Summer 2020 at least. It won't be less busy but at least you probably won't be looking at a construction wall.

If I were planning a 1 and done Disney trip I would probably wait until 2021. By then all of the updates for the 50th anniversary will be completed (hopefully) and Galaxy's Edge will have had some time to calm down. Just my 2 cents.

I have a dream plan of going in November 2018 to see Toy Story Land, getting an annual Pass and going again in October of 2019, but that seems really risky to me as I could miss the opening, or it will be just opening (and it be crazy busy.

The upside, with an annual pass I don't really have the stress of "doing it all" and am VERY flexible with the dates. The downside is that SWGE opens in late November or early December and I end up taking a trip in October with nothing new to see .. .wasting the high cost of an annual pass.

Still debating on that . .may not decide on that until I go in November . .maybe there will be a more solid date by then (i doubt it).

I think especially for us international guests, people are planning for the next few years when it comes to WDW.

We managed to do two trips in 2017 and while I’m already eager to go back im also trying to avoid it.

I want to go for Star Wars land but 2019 is out of the question as it will be just too busy. The. I look at 2020 and I’m then thinking, I may as well hold out to 2021 for the 50th and go early that year like January/ Feburary.

We have never been to Disneyland California, Alaini or on a Disney cruise plus we live close to Disneyland Paris so I think we need to be looking to visit some of these over the next 3 years.

Plus if we hold off for 2021 hopefully the Star Wars hotel will be completed, Universal will have opened a ton more and most importantly me and my husband hope to be adopting by the end of 2018 so we would be taking our child too

I'm planning to wait until 2020. Wait until it opens to see how they handle the initial crowds and then go from there.

Thanks everyone for your input.
We were planning to go anyway and since my partner is a huge Star Wars fan we (he) wanted to wait for the opening. So it's a tough decision to make. How long to wait and hope the wait will be worth it. For him, it will be as he has lower expectations.
We enjoy traveling and usually go one big trip per year so I am trying to think which year to fit this into. Need to book around 8 months out to get good flight deals. And although I am not a huge planner I've read that planning is needed to have the best time and beat most of the crowds especially planning FP and ADR.
I think I will loosely plan for mid to late 2020 and go from there.
One thing I'm also considering are our adult life commitments eg buying a house, marriage, kids etc. So much to think about!
Planning a trip with children will be a whole different ball game! We also wish to go to Universal and see more of Florida.

Feeling stressed already haha.

Thanks again.

We were planning to go anyway and since my partner is a huge Star Wars fan we (he) wanted to wait for the opening. So it's a tough decision to make. How long to wait and hope the wait will be worth it. For him, it will be as he has lower expectations.
We enjoy traveling and usually go one big trip per year so I am trying to think which year to fit this into. Need to book around 8 months out to get good flight deals. And although I am not a huge planner I've read that planning is needed to have the best time and beat most of the crowds especially planning FP and ADR.
One thing I'm also considering are our adult life commitments eg buying a house, marriage, kids etc. So much to think about!
Planning a trip with children will be a whole different ball game! We also wish to go to Universal and see more of Florida.

Thanks again.

Just wanted to say good luck and try not to stress (though I know it is easy to stress). ADRs can be done 6 months in advance (180 days to be exact) so is good to plan at least that far so that you can try to get what dining options you want.

Thanks again.

I agree, that if you don't have a plan for what at Disney you want to see and do, you'll spend a lot of time doing nothing or something you don't want to do.

I agree, that if you don't have a plan for what at Disney you want to see and do, you'll spend a lot of time doing nothing or something you don't want to do.

That is definitely my view ... I'd rather overplan a bit beforehand (and I don't plan out ever minute or anything) rather than get there and spend time doing the whole "what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?" thing

Planning a family tri for 6 of us (all adults) for Sept 2020.

hannah --- if this will be a one and done Florida/WDW trip then definitely aim for 2020, that way you would also enjoy the brand new great attraction Ratioulle ride and the gondola system will be ready. I highly doubt Star Wars land would calm down for years to come, it will be immensely popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts