When to put your pet down ? ** updated post 32

I know you’re probably worried about being objective.

In the case of my parents’ dog they waited way too long. She would regularly get stuck in corners, fall on surfaces other than carpet and not be able to get herself back up, acted as if she had suffered a stroke, and was basically deaf (which was actually not terrible because at least she was no longer terrified by loud noises/storms).

She still ate, but her quality of life was extremely poor. I don’t think my parents could see that as clearly as an outsider.

I hope you can enjoy the time you have left with your kitty, though it will be bittersweet, no matter how long that is.

The other thing for you to think about is that I believe that the cat will go right from your arms, into your daughter’s, when she passes. The reason I believe this is because I’ve studied a lot of near death experiences and many who’ve died and come back have reported seeing beloved pets and people there. So hopefully that knowledge will, when the time comes for you, make it easier to part with the cat, as hard as it is.
I agree with this. And hopefully when the time comes, it will help @mommasita be at peace with it.

When my dog was having problems last December my vet said a good indication when to let go is when my dog starts having more bad days than good. I really used that as a guide and when the time came a few months later my husband and I knew we were making the right decision (which was still very hard).

Along time ago I had my all time favorite dog, Boogalussa , she was so old and stunk,, blind and couldnt walk, but I still loved her to death, I would pick her up and take her outside and help her stand up so she could go the bathroom, I would pray all day that God would take her before i had to put her down. He didnt, I did it, It still tears me up

I always said I would never be able to know when to do it, but when the time came with my last cat we knew it was right. Your instinct kicks in. Good luck and hang in there.

Along time ago I had my all time favorite dog, Boogalussa , she was so old and stunk,, blind and couldnt walk, but I still loved her to death, I would pick her up and take her outside and help her stand up so she could go the bathroom, I would pray all day that God would take her before i had to put her down. He didnt, I did it, It still tears me up
Interesting name. There is a town not far from here named Bogalusa.

135-spikes_NEW.jpg

Thanks everyone. I’m just home from the vets, she is gone. I was home all day yesterday with her, and she hardly ate, wouldn’t even move. She waddled like she was 9 months pregnant just to try. I know I did the right thing. I am extremely sad, I held her paw and stayed with her, and asked her to please tell Bri I loved her and hug her and hope I see her soon. My husband drove us but could not go in.

Thanks everyone. I’m just home from the vets, she is gone. I was home all day yesterday with her, and she hardly ate, wouldn’t even move. She waddled like she was 9 months pregnant just to try. I know I did the right thing. I am extremely sad, I held her paw and stayed with her, and asked her to please tell Bri I loved her and hug her and hope I see her soon. My husband drove us but could not go in.
I’m so sorry. I know it’s so hard. Sometimes it’s a relief to know you did the right thing.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

Hopefully you'll find comfort knowing they are together.

So very sorry. It’s very hard losing a family member. You will see them again someday hopefully a long time from now.

I am so sorry. For what it's worth, I firmly believe we will be with our pets in the afterlife, and would focus on them being united and bringing peace to each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter