When were you left underwhelmed by something at Disney?

PrincessofPrideRock

I'm just happy to be here
What is something at the parks or on property that you were really looking forward to, but then when it happened you were left disappointed?

We had a lovely trip earlier this month, but one experience in particular just left us completely underwhelmed.

'Ohana at Disney's Polynesian Resort comes highly recommended. By everyone. It seemed like every blog we read, podcast we listened to, and experienced Disney-goer that we talked to all had nothing but great things so say about this place. It's expensive, but we decided that it would be worth it since everyone talks about how amazing it is. So we made a reservation for our "non park" day for breakfast. (Maybe dinner would have been better, but we already had dinner reservations at other places all set up). With all the hype we heard about 'Ohana, we could not wait for our reservation!

But alas...

I know no one may agree with me, but 'Ohana was the worst meal we had during our entire trip. I honestly think we could have gotten the exact same meal from Denny's and at a fraction of the price. Seriously.

Now I will say that the character interaction was great! As well as the atmosphere and the service. We even had a really great seat by the window where we could see Cinderella's Castle. But we were SO excited to eat there and it was just...not good.

So, do you have any experiences like this? I know I'm kind of whining about it, but I bet someone out there has had something like this happen to them and I invite you to vent!

Last edited:
We have had two underwhelming experiences at WDW. One was BOG's complete mess up of our dining plan credits for lunch one day. The other was a rude gate CM at AKL. She clearly did not want to be at work that day. People and apparently computers aren't perfect, so things like that are bound to happen at times. We've been very happy with our meals, with special events, the rides, the resorts, and 99.9% of the CMs we meet, so I guess we've been pretty lucky overall. I'm sorry to hear about your experience at 'Ohana. We are trying it for the first time this next trip. Dinner not breakfast, though. I've booked it the past two trips and switched it to other places for convenience sake, but this time I think we're all set on giving it a go. Hopefully, we won't be disappointed, but if we are, we'll at least know better for next time.

We have had two underwhelming experiences at WDW. One was BOG's complete mess up of our dining plan credits for lunch one day. The other was a rude gate CM at AKL. She clearly did not want to be at work that day. People and apparently computers aren't perfect, so things like that are bound to happen at times. We've been very happy with our meals, with special events, the rides, the resorts, and 99.9% of the CMs we meet, so I guess we've been pretty lucky overall. I'm sorry to hear about your experience at 'Ohana. We are trying it for the first time this next trip. Dinner not breakfast, though. I've booked it the past two trips and switched it to other places for convenience sake, but this time I think we're all set on giving it a go. Hopefully, we won't be disappointed, but if we are, we'll at least know better for next time.

We have heard really great things about dinner there, but we probably won't be trying it next time. Have you ever been to Boma? That was our favorite! And rude CM's are probably the #1 way to ruin the magic!

We have heard really great things about dinner there, but we probably won't be trying it next time. Have you ever been to Boma? That was our favorite! And rude CM's are probably the #1 way to ruin the magic!

Yes, we love Boma, too! We usually stay at AKL and eat there at least twice per trip. We're not staying there this next time but we are still making a point to visit AKL and go to Boma! Yum!!!!!

I absolutely LOVE dinner at Ohana. I have never bothered with the breakfast though.
Actually I was underwhelmed with breakfast at Kona. Everyone raves over the Tonga Toast. I personally thought it was nothing special.
As to the PP who recommended Boma, that is one of my favorites as well.
Its funny, I cook "breakfast food" for myself frequently. I really like it. But the only place that has what I consider excellent breakfast is the full English breakfast at Sea Turtle in SPB.

I thought the food at 'Ohana breakfast was just okay. It was neither bad nor good; just okay.

We went there for the character interaction. I did like how they brought it to your table AYCTE rather than buffet. We have difficulty with buffets since someone has to stay with the kids, and we have to make their plates for them.

Honestly, I would eat there again, but it won't be the top of the list for character dining.

I was underwhelmed by 'Ohana as well. We liked most courses, but the meat skewers all tasted as if they had been cooked in a fire that had not burnt off the lighter fluid yet. Also, I LOVE Boma dinner and go almost every trip. Most people rave about their soups, and every time I try a few in hope that the last time was just a fluke, but they are always too salty to me, and underwhelming.

We were completely underwhelmed, even disappointed, with all of SSR last fall. We were renting points and booking late and it was all we could get last minute. The trip was nice, but that whole place lacks Disney magic. I wouldn't stay there again. We were stuck in town a couple extra nights due to Hurricane Matthew, switched over to All Star Music and LOVED it. Magic everywhere

I am going to say something that may be unpopular, but 7DMT. I expected so much more (height, speed, dips, loops?), but it's just another coaster. It is very smooth, but to me, just not that exciting. Maybe I was just expecting too much and I will keep riding it, I was just underwhelmed.

I recently read my trip report from 2004. We stayed at GF when the Christmas decorations were up and it was lovely. However, we were disappointed with the amount of noise we could hear inside the room and our neighbors were really loud. We were also underwhelmed with the food and service at Narcoosee's. The server was rude and we left there still hungry. We were using the Premium plan, so it's really a shame with the amount of food available on that plan. I think it was the server that bothered us the most. That was a looong time ago, but will likely never dine there again.

Shhh...don't tell anyone...but I don't like Dole Whips.

I loved loved loved the Dole Whip. My son (23 mos at the time) and I shared one. We are both fans.

I was a bit underwhelmed with Pecos Bills. It was okay. It wasn't bad. I think we get really good fajitas where I live (TX), so I'm guessing that's why.
I was also underwhelmed with Columbia Harbor House. I enjoyed the upstairs setting, but the food was meh.

The Arts festival in January.

To me, as I walked around Epcot and the WS, it seemed like the same things were in just about every stand. Those same things were also very highly priced, for being so similar to every other stand.

What is something at the parks or on property that you were really looking forward to, but then when it happened you were left disappointed?

We had a lovely trip earlier this month, but one experience in particular just left us completely underwhelmed.

'Ohana at Disney's Polynesian Resort comes highly recommended. By everyone. It seemed like every blog we read, podcast we listened to, and experienced Disney-goer that we talked to all had nothing but great things so say about this place. It's expensive, but we decided that it would be worth it since everyone talks about how amazing it is. So we made a reservation for our "non park" day for breakfast. (Maybe dinner would have been better, but we already had dinner reservations at other places all set up). With all the hype we heard about 'Ohana, we could not wait for our reservation!

But alas...

I know no one may agree with me, but 'Ohana was the worst meal we had during our entire trip. I honestly think we could have gotten the exact same meal from Denny's and at a fraction of the price. Seriously.

Now I will say that the character interaction was great! As well as the atmosphere and the service. We even had a really great seat by the window where we could see Cinderella's Castle. But we were SO excited to eat there and it was just...not good.

So, do you have any experiences like this? I know I'm kind of whining about it, but I bet someone out there has had something like this happen to them and I invite you to vent!
The burnt steak I was served at Le Cellier.

7DMT for me too.

I mean it's awfully pretty. But I like coasters. It's a terrible coaster compared to something like big thunder. And it doesn't even have enough of a story line.

I don't generally have high expectations when it comes to Disney food. I'm usually not underwhelmed because I generally go in expecting the worst. So BOG lunch was a pleasant surprise. Even hoop de doo revue was better food wise than I really expected.

Our first trip to WDW together for our honeymoon, we stayed at the GF and were disappointed with the service overall the first 24hrs, I believe the first room was two queens instead of a king (which I know is only a request) then when they kindly moved us we got a room that was not cleaned properly (sticky residue all around, probably from kids)
We also had arranged for sparkling wine to be delivered upon check in, they were not smart enough to bring a chilled bottle..it was warm..when we asked if we could exchange it for a cold bottle they said it wasn't possible (even though the gift shop actually has it in the cooler but we were not aware) because of the high price we simply had high expectations that weren't met (and we were expecting GC and DLH service)...that being said I'm giving VGF a try but I do not have any special requests this time around.

Our first trip to WDW together for our honeymoon, we stayed at the GF and were disappointed with the service overall the first 24hrs, I believe the first room was two queens instead of a king (which I know is only a request) then when they kindly moved us we got a room that was not cleaned properly (sticky residue all around, probably from kids)
We also had arranged for sparkling wine to be delivered upon check in, they were not smart enough to bring a chilled bottle..it was warm..when we asked if we could exchange it for a cold bottle they said it wasn't possible (even though the gift shop actually has it in the cooler but we were not aware) because of the high price we simply had high expectations that weren't met (and we were expecting GC and DLH service)...that being said I'm giving VGF a try but I do not have any special requests this time around.

It's probably just me but I'm underwhelmed by Wdw hotel customer service general. Given the price, I would think you'd get better service. It's one of the reasons I don't stay in the deluxes. Compared to off property deluxe resorts, they really aren't all that deluxe.

I remembered another thing I was very underwhelmed with, and it was at Columbia Harbor House. I thought I would be the lobster roll (as I am from Connecticut, where we do lobster rolls right, meaning with butter instead of mayo) but I was fine with that. I was underwhelmed by the Lighthouse Sandwich. I LOVE hummus, and essentially lived off it for the years I was vegetarian. My problem was that somehow the bread became soggy in the time it took me to get my order and walk upstairs, which should not have happened given the ingredients. Also, somehow while the middle was soggy the crusts were stale? I'll still, however, morn that sandwich now that it is off the menu, because the parks do need more vegetarian options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!