When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening?

When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening? This is means with Disney's permission.

• 5am 8/29

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • 3am 8/29

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Midnight 8/29

Votes: 66 26.9%
  • 9pm 8/28

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • 5pm 8/28

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Morning 8/28

Votes: 29 11.8%
  • Sometime on 8/27

Votes: 62 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
So, when do you WDW will allow people to start camping out for SWGE opening on 8/29 at DHS? Will you be there?

EDIT: Excuse my poor grammar in the poll title. I would change it but it won't let me. That's what I get for doing too many things at once.

I don't have a lot of info about what Disney has allowed in the past. Looking to some uber Disney experts to fill us in.

I know some of what has happened at Star Wars Weekends from following the boards, trip reports, and first hand accounts from friends. However, I don't know if past behavior will necessarily be a good indicator for the future. I did consider some of the past behavior when selecting the poll times.

As Disney has not come out to say "NO" to camping out, I will say people will probably show up a couple of days in advance. Maybe not a full week but who knows.
I have mentioned this before but I am very tempted to go over with a chair and sleeping bag and backpack and just sit right before the security check and see what happens :D
During SWW some people stayed from Thursday night all the way through Sunday without an issue, Disney even had security people overnight
My personal current plan is to arrive by midnight on the 28th/29th

People will make an event out of anything but the hard core/die hard fans should actually be camping out in California.

Yes and no. Some hard core fans who live in the SE may not have the money to make it out to the west coast. It may a lot cheaper for them to drive and stay at a low budget motel just outside of Disney.

I thought you had to get a reservations [free reservations]...so why would people even need to camp out...??...either you would have a reservation to enter SWGE or you wouildn't....what am I missing?

At the moment there are reservations only for DL SWGE. So it seems like at WDW SWGE you'll have to queue up(for a very very long time).

Wednesday is my guess, early as in 5 AM for the first folks to show up and they'll be in the in abundance by that afternoon.

I thought you had to get a reservations [free reservations]...so why would people even need to camp out...??...either you would have a reservation to enter SWGE or you wouildn't....what am I missing?
DL yes
WDW, no. And I doubt that's what they'll do at WDW. For a huge variety of reasons, they do not do things the same way at WDW

Wednesday is my guess, early as in 5 AM for the first folks to show up and they'll be in the in abundance by that afternoon.

DL yes
WDW, no. And I doubt that's what they'll do at WDW. For a huge variety of reasons, they do not do things the same way at WDW
Its rumored WDW will have some sort of access system to control crowding within the land.

As Disney has not come out to say "NO" to camping out, I will say people will probably show up a couple of days in advance. Maybe not a full week but who knows.
I have mentioned this before but I am very tempted to go over with a chair and sleeping bag and backpack and just sit right before the security check and see what happens :D
During SWW some people stayed from Thursday night all the way through Sunday without an issue, Disney even had security people overnight
My personal current plan is to arrive by midnight on the 28th/29th

Hi Yulilin! Thanks for all your great information on these threads. DH and I booked our opening day reservations and plan to join in the fun of "camping out" sort of. We have reservations at the Boardwalk so we can be in walking distance. We do not plan to rent a car. Do you mean you will be there at 12am on Thursday, August 29th? Just trying to cage when we should arrive. We don't have hopes of being first in line or anything, but us and another couple do plan to be there very early.

As far as camping out goes, can you enlighten us further in what you think Disney allows for this? 12am to a 6/7 am park opening is a long time to just stand or even sit on the concrete. Do you think folding chairs of any kind would be allowed? Holding spots? Just meaning sending one of the guys back to the hotel to grab something or someone finding the nearest bathroom, etc. For the most part we'd all be there in line. If we do bring chairs, what do you do with them once the line moves? I'm guessing that most locals will have their cars, and send someone back with them an hour beforehand. We don't have that option. Can I just toss them at the nearest garbage? Or anyone local can just have them to keep if they want. Any advice is immensely appreciated.

Its rumored WDW will have some sort of access system to control crowding within the land.
Rumor, shumor. Who needs a rumor in this case? I'm 1000% certain they'll have some sort of access system to control crowding.
Just don't expect to see them use the same exact reservation system that is already been announced in DL

@PolDisneyfam My plan is to arrive by 12:01 on 8/29 (picked that time to be extra clear)
As far as "camping out" from previous experience doing Star Wars Weekends we were allowed to bring foldable chairs, sleeping bags, small cots, some people even brought small tents, about 3 hours before opening every day we were told to take everything back to the car
As far as holding spots we would arrive real early (2am for me most days) and then kids could join us with another adult before they gave out wristbands for celeb autographs, this was done again about 2 hours before park opening so everyone had to be in line by then.
Not sure how Disney would feel about people just tossing/leaving chairs behind but you'll ding locals able to take them back to their cars
Now Disney didn't want people camping out but LucasFilm insisted they allow people to do this as this is sort of the SW fan experience. LucasFilm still has a big say even though Disney owns it now, but as long as Disney doesn't come out saying "NO CAMPING" most people are thinking of doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter