When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening?

When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening? This is means with Disney's permission.

• 5am 8/29

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • 3am 8/29

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Midnight 8/29

Votes: 66 26.9%
  • 9pm 8/28

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • 5pm 8/28

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Morning 8/28

Votes: 29 11.8%
  • Sometime on 8/27

Votes: 62 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm live streaming from Caribbean beach today so I'll head over to dhs and ask security just to see if they have started talking about it or already have a plan. Kinda curious to hear what they have to say at the moment. I mean they should already be thinking about it right?

@yulilin3 Thanks so much for the information! I think I'll plan to maybe buy some cheap beach chairs and bring a blanket and some snacks/drinks. Hopefully we don't have to deal with any torrential downpours during this time. It's a fairly high risk considering the season. I'll be following this thread to keep up to date if you happen to hear anything else about what can and can't be brought to "camp out".

I'll have to check out your Streaming the Magic! That sounds like a great idea. Wish we were more local so we could ask. I'd love to meet a fellow Diser at opening day, maybe we will see you there! :-)

@yulilin3 Thanks so much for the information! I think I'll plan to maybe buy some cheap beach chairs and bring a blanket and some snacks/drinks. Hopefully we don't have to deal with any torrential downpours during this time. It's a fairly high risk considering the season. I'll be following this thread to keep up to date if you happen to hear anything else about what can and can't be brought to "camp out".

I'll have to check out your Streaming the Magic! That sounds like a great idea. Wish we were more local so we could ask. I'd love to meet a fellow Diser at opening day, maybe we will see you there! :-)
I'll be there :) along with 60k of our closest friends. I'll be wearing a sw shirt and hat so I'll be easily recognizable :D

Is there any point in camping out? Won’t it turn into a crazy mass of people sprinting once they open the gates? You’d just lose your spot in line wouldn’t you?

We were there for Pandora and arrived around 4am. Believe me, it made a difference on getting onto FOP. We were earlier through the security and the turnstiles, which meant earlier to the holding bridge, etc. We made it onto FOP twice in the early morning standby. I am by no means a sprinter, so no we didn't run to the areas. We walked fast, and usually castmembers are all around asking guests not to run.

@yulilin3 Haha, with that outfit I will be sure to see you. I may be dressed identically. :-)

Makes sense! So pretty much assuming anyone not camped out isn’t getting into HS at all that day.
No I wouldn't assume that but I would assume you will have to be eligible for EMH, if it ends up being an EMH morning like it was for Pandora

At DHS now
I approach first security person:
"Hello, quick question. What would happen if I showed up tomorrow with a chair, sleeping bag, ready to camp out before the security check for SWGE?"
Security smiles: well you're probably going to be asked to leave
Me: so has there been a meeting or talks about that? We used to camp out for sww
Security: well.... maybe talk to my supervisor (points to supervisor)
I ask same question
Supervisor: we have talked about it and know there's is a potential of people camping out a week before, at the moment we have not made any decision, keep an eye out on the dpb for additional info on possible rules for camping out
Me: so basically I come tomorrow to camp out and you're probably gonna have a meeting then?
Supervisor smiles and says: basically

So in short, they have no clue

At DHS now
I approach first security person:
"Hello, quick question. What would happen if I showed up tomorrow with a chair, sleeping bag, ready to camp out before the security check for SWGE?"
Security smiles: well you're probably going to be asked to leave
Me: so has there been a meeting or talks about that? We used to camp out for sww
Security: well.... maybe talk to my supervisor (points to supervisor)
I ask same question
Supervisor: we have talked about it and know there's is a potential of people camping out a week before, at the moment we have not made any decision, keep an eye out on the dpb for additional info on possible rules for camping out
Me: so basically I come tomorrow to camp out and you're probably gonna have a meeting then?
Supervisor smiles and says: basically

So in short, they have no clue

I don't think they want to make a decision until their hands are forced. As they shoo away more people, the matter will become more pressing, then they will have to talk seriously about it. They do have a while. I think they are still trying to figure out how to deal with the crowds during the day for the first few months. I am seriously hoping someone at WDW has been searching the internet for pictures and stories of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley opening at Universal Orlando, because I get the feeling they did that pretty well.

During SWW some people stayed from Thursday night all the way through Sunday without an issue, Disney even had security people overnight
You mean each of those evening you could camp out for admittance the next morning, right? Not, they got in line on Thursday and stayed there until Sunday when they were finally admitted into the park?
At first I thought you meant the later and wanted to cry a little.

@PolDisneyfam My plan is to arrive by 12:01 on 8/29 (picked that time to be extra clear)
As far as "camping out" from previous experience doing Star Wars Weekends we were allowed to bring foldable chairs, sleeping bags, small cots, some people even brought small tents, about 3 hours before opening every day we were told to take everything back to the car
As far as holding spots we would arrive real early (2am for me most days) and then kids could join us with another adult before they gave out wristbands for celeb autographs, this was done again about 2 hours before park opening so everyone had to be in line by then.
Not sure how Disney would feel about people just tossing/leaving chairs behind but you'll ding locals able to take them back to their cars
Now Disney didn't want people camping out but LucasFilm insisted they allow people to do this as this is sort of the SW fan experience. LucasFilm still has a big say even though Disney owns it now, but as long as Disney doesn't come out saying "NO CAMPING" most people are thinking of doing it
This is hugely enlightening to me.
I don't mind waiting overnight in line but I don't foresee my kids (13, 11 & 8) doing it. They will be fine getting up in the wee hours of the morning and joining me. (And DH would have to sleep back at the resort with them, they wouldn't feel comfortable alone yet.) I also see them walking back to the resort (BW) to grab something or run and get breakfast. You give me hope that a spot in line is possible.

You mean each of those evening you could camp out for admittance the next morning, right? Not, they got in line on Thursday and stayed there until Sunday when they were finally admitted into the park?
At first I thought you meant the later and wanted to cry a little.

This is hugely enlightening to me.
I don't mind waiting overnight in line but I don't foresee my kids (13, 11 & 8) doing it. They will be fine getting up in the wee hours of the morning and joining me. (And DH would have to sleep back at the resort with them, they wouldn't feel comfortable alone yet.) I also see them walking back to the resort (BW) to grab something or run and get breakfast. You give me hope that a spot in line is possible.
lol, no, they allowed people to camp outside the park close to the entrance over night Thursday to be admitted Friday, then people stayed over night Friday fr Saturday and same for Sunday. We camped out during SWW because they had actors/actresses and voice actors from the movies and cartoons signing autographs, they only had 3 autograph session, each with about 50 to 100 people. So to be able to guarantee a certain autograph you needed to get in line early for a wristband. So for example for Peter Mayhew people showed up around 4am to guarantee a wristband because he came every year and was not as popular. For Dave Prowse people camped out over night (I arrived around midnight and got a standby ticket) because he never came and was very popular.
So, who knows if Disney will allow camping over night again

lol, no, they allowed people to camp outside the park close to the entrance over night Thursday to be admitted Friday, then people stayed over night Friday fr Saturday and same for Sunday. We camped out during SWW because they had actors/actresses and voice actors from the movies and cartoons signing autographs, they only had 3 autograph session, each with about 50 to 100 people. So to be able to guarantee a certain autograph you needed to get in line early for a wristband. So for example for Peter Mayhew people showed up around 4am to guarantee a wristband because he came every year and was not as popular. For Dave Prowse people camped out over night (I arrived around midnight and got a standby ticket) because he never came and was very popular.
So, who knows if Disney will allow camping over night again

See this is what I find amazing, because we met Peter at NYCC a few years back with no camping out involved - we showed up to the convention an hour before the gates opened, and when we got to him there was basically no line (he was not one of the ticketed meet and greets/autographs, just booth on the show floor). We chatted with him for about 10 minutes and got some great photos.

Whether Disney allows people camping out or not, wherever the border is that Disney can't enforce camping out---THAT'S where people will start camping out.
That's pretty dang far out though. Not sure there'd be any point in camping out way outside the gates to WDW, would there be? If the city of Orlando or county, whoever controls that area, even allowed it. Still, what kind of line could even be formed from there?

See this is what I find amazing, because we met Peter at NYCC a few years back with no camping out involved - we showed up to the convention an hour before the gates opened, and when we got to him there was basically no line (he was not one of the ticketed meet and greets/autographs, just booth on the show floor). We chatted with him for about 10 minutes and got some great photos.
well NYCC is a fan convention of different genres/fandoms. SWW was obviously centered only on SW. Also like I said, he came every year so he wasn't popular guest to line up for. He basically does all the conventions all around the world every year, his health is very poor right now so I think he's slowing down.
Also at SWW you just needed a ticket to get into the park, all thee celeb autographs were free. At NYCC and other conventions you buy your convention ticket and then an autograph/picture

That's pretty dang far out though. Not sure there'd be any point in camping out way outside the gates to WDW, would there be? If the city of Orlando or county, whoever controls that area, even allowed it. Still, what kind of line could even be formed from there?
I have a feeling that people might start camping out on the walkway to Boardwalk right before you hit the curve that takes you beyond the new restrooms/skyliner station/bus loop. But that's just a guess

well NYCC is a fan convention of different genres/fandoms. SWW was obviously centered only on SW. Also like I said, he came every year so he wasn't popular guest to line up for. He basically does all the conventions all around the world every year, his health is very poor right now so I think he's slowing down.
Also at SWW you just needed a ticket to get into the park, all thee celeb autographs were free. At NYCC and other conventions you buy your convention ticket and then an autograph/picture

LOL oh i totally get it, it's just funny because the access was much easier at a non-specific con vs the SWW. Though as I had mentioned, he wasn't a paid autograph/photo ticket, we had paid for our con pass but he just had an open table on the show floor. Anthony Daniels was the same way the few times we met him too.

I have a feeling that people might start camping out on the walkway to Boardwalk right before you hit the curve that takes you beyond the new restrooms/skyliner station/bus loop. But that's just a guess
As someone staying at BWI before the opening that would be interesting.
What about a coral area in the parking lot? They could let them set up a tent city in an out of the way area and maybe give out numbered wrist bands to control order?
Of course, they'd have to have at least 1 person there at all times to monitor it so they may not want to put any manpower out for that
Don't know, but that could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!