When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening?

When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening? This is means with Disney's permission.

• 5am 8/29

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • 3am 8/29

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Midnight 8/29

Votes: 66 26.9%
  • 9pm 8/28

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • 5pm 8/28

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Morning 8/28

Votes: 29 11.8%
  • Sometime on 8/27

Votes: 62 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone staying at BWI before the opening that would be interesting.
What about a coral area in the parking lot? They could let them set up a tent city in an out of the way area and maybe give out numbered wrist bands to control order?
Of course, they'd have to have at least 1 person there at all times to monitor it so they may not want to put any manpower out for that
Don't know, but that could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak
They will have security there anyways, there's always securrity at WDW even on 3rd shift, but it's going to be interesting what they do.
They could do wristbands to hold peoples place in line but then the question is still what time do they allow people to start the line, and IF the have wristbands do they announce that prior or just do it day of without notice?
If people know there will be wristbands they will show up even earlier I think
I don't want to be in charge of crowds control pre park opening

If I wanted to go to GE on opening day - how early would I have to get to Hollywood Studios? Should I camp out at the entrance a few hours before HS opens at 9am? Does anyone have experience from Pandora's opening day?
I am planning on packing my backpacking tent in my luggage - anyone care to speculate with me? Will Disney let us camp out the night before? I am staying on property. If not how early would you suggest I get there? It will be just me and my 7-year-old!

:chewy:I know it's going to be beyond crazy and packed but I would love to give it a try!:darth:

I can’t believe WDW isn’t following the DL reservation system. Seems like the best method. The only negative I can see, and the reason WDW probably isn’t doing it, is decreased park ticket sales. IMO Disney is banking on people being turned away and instead spending their money in the other parks instead.

I can’t believe WDW isn’t following the DL reservation system. Seems like the best method. The only negative I can see, and the reason WDW probably isn’t doing it, is decreased park ticket sales. IMO Disney is banking on people being turned away and instead spending their money in the other parks instead.
DL only has 3 resorts to give out reservation time slots for each person staying at each resort.
Not sure if SWGE has the capacity to give out reservations for all WDW resorts guests

DL only has 3 resorts to give out reservation time slots for each person staying at each resort.
Not sure if SWGE has the capacity to give out reservations for all WDW resorts guests
Exactly. TOO many rooms to even begin to consider this option. DL and WDW operations are too different based on the percentages of non-resort visitors vs resort visitors that are at each location on a given day. To my knowledge, Disney doesn't share this, and I'm just assuming they track it somehow but I'd love to know the difference.

Exactly. TOO many rooms to even begin to consider this option. DL and WDW operations are too different based on the percentages of non-resort visitors vs resort visitors that are at each location on a given day. To my knowledge, Disney doesn't share this, and I'm just assuming they track it somehow but I'd love to know the difference.
True but it’s been rumored/expected that at least initially they will do some sort of crowd control measure whether it’s like a FP for the land or something like that.

True but it’s been rumored/expected that at least initially they will do some sort of crowd control measure whether it’s like a FP for the land or something like that.
Yes, I'm sure they will. Only said it is not like what is being done at DL. Which is what OP asked about, the reservation system just like being done at DL
That's all.

Right I should have clarified, I did not mean based on a WDW resort stay, like DL. I simply mean some sort of organized allotment for people attending each day.

Last edited:
I thought you had to get a reservations [free reservations]...so why would people even need to camp out...??...either you would have a reservation to enter SWGE or you wouildn't....what am I missing?

You are missing the social part of camping out. It is only partially about being "first" - it is mostly about the experience. Being with friends and meeting new ones who share the same interest.

There are two groups (that I know of) here in California already planning a 7 to 10 day "line up" for the opening day. They are in talks with Disney management and security to work out the details.

You are missing the social part of camping out. It is only partially about being "first" - it is mostly about the experience. Being with friends and meeting new ones who share the same interest.

There are two groups (that I know of) here in California already planning a 7 to 10 day "line up" for the opening day. They are in talks with Disney management and security to work out the details.

That’s an experience I’m happy to miss ;)

Count me in as surprised that there are talks going to work out the details. I would think that management and security would want to keep their options open.
That said, I wish you a happy, memorable camping experience. :flower:

Count me in as surprised that there are talks going to work out the details. I would think that management and security would want to keep their options open.
I can't speak for WDW but here in Anaheim they are very open to it. This allows them to better control the situation. Rather than having to deal with it when people start showing up, plans are already in place. They can section off an area and have an idea of how many people will be there. And they let the media know - nothing like a group of "crazed fans" waving light sabers and dressed up to make good local news.

I hope there are some die hard fans in the area who are talking with WDW management about setting up an area for a fun few days of Star Wars/Disney nerddom...

I hope there are some die hard fans in the area who are talking with WDW management about setting up an area for a fun few days of Star Wars/Disney nerddom...
I talked with security and coordinator of security a couple of days ago, they have no current plans to allow or deny camping out. I believe they are probably going to wait until DL opens. Like I've said in this thread a couple of times, we were allowed to camp out during SWW, that was every year, for 4 weekends (last couple of years was 6 weekends) so it's not new to them.
And I agree with you, there is nothing like the sense of community you get while camping out with fellow SW fans, people either get it or they don't and that's ok

And I agree with you, there is nothing like the sense of community you get while camping out with fellow SW fans, people either get it or they don't and that's ok

I've met some interesting people camping outside Best Buy in my younger years. (My camp-out Wii just died 2 weeks ago.. ironic...) One person strolled up to best buy on a segway scooter and let us all take a turn on it. And then at 4am decided he didn't want a Wii and went home. It's one of those "it's the journey, not the destination" situations in many respects. Although in this case, it's both. (And, we'll get to hang out with @DisneyKevin! :thumbsup2 :lmao: )

In all seriousness, I'd be surprised if they allowed people to camp out. It'll be something like a FP+ reservation. Looking at the TSL opening day line, I think Grand Avenue and then some would just be overrun if they allowed people to queue up. I guess we'll find out in about 5 months......

I've met some interesting people camping outside Best Buy in my younger years. (My camp-out Wii just died 2 weeks ago.. ironic...) One person strolled up to best buy on a segway scooter and let us all take a turn on it. And then at 4am decided he didn't want a Wii and went home. It's one of those "it's the journey, not the destination" situations in many respects. Although in this case, it's both. (And, we'll get to hang out with @DisneyKevin! :thumbsup2 :lmao: )

In all seriousness, I'd be surprised if they allowed people to camp out. It'll be something like a FP+ reservation. Looking at the TSL opening day line, I think Grand Avenue and then some would just be overrun if they allowed people to queue up. I guess we'll find out in about 5 months......
The camping out will be done outside the entrance. DHS has the advantage that it has that entire walkway that goes all the way to the Epcot resorts so it can hold a lot of people. Once the park opens, other than Grand Av, they could use the area around Echo Lake to corral people as well. So it could be done effectively and safely with a little planning, it's not like it's never been done before in the same park

Yes exactly!! I hope we will be allowed to actually camp out. It'll be like a Comic-Con at Disney and I seriously cannot wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!