When will you consider resuming Canadian travel ?

I doubt we'll be travelling within Canada even next year, except camping within province. DS will be working, will be harder to get away. We ended up buying a new (to us) boat this year so we're toying with the idea of finding a permanent trailer spot at a lake that we can fish at, pull a tube, have our kayaks, etc. We'll see. I'm not sure I'll be happy staying put in one place. I love hiking and visiting various provincial parks.

I am traveling to Turkey in September. I chose this destination due to it only having 12 active cases per 100 000 (Canada currently has about 17/100 000), their world renowned covid treatment methods, and because Turkey will treat tourists for free if they become infected. I am going to the Dalaman area which actually has only 5 active cases per 100 000, plus they also have gorgeous beaches and ancient ruins. I don't plan to eat in restaurants, go to bars or be anywhere that I need to socialize with people as I want to lower my risk as much as possible. I am going away for two weeks then I am coming home to quarantine for two weeks, I was in Europe in March when borders were being closed and the pandemic was declared, so I already have some experience with how travel works in these times and how I handle the quarantine (I love it).
I know a lot of people will think it is reckless and selfish of me to travel out of the country, but I am doing everything I can to lessen the risk.

I am traveling to Turkey in September.
I'm sure you've done extensive research for this trip esp during covid. I traveled to Turkey about 10 yrs ago for a 2 week Trafalgar bus tour and it was one of the best vacation experiences I ever had. As a result, I've followed developments in Turkey carefully over the years including their administration - that has held onto power for more than 10 years without change - and the attempted military coup the other summer. Many believe that coup likely would have ushered in a more stable and democratic state and that the officer corps rose up in the spirit of Ataturk to save their country. This is a long standing tradition in that country rooted in the proud history of the Janissaries. The coup was violently suppressed. Senior and junior officers alike were executed or disappeared in the purge that followed. Westerners don't usually view military coups as positive steps for change. This was an exception. Our Trafalgar bus guide also stressed to us the importance of not being injured on tour and not to expect any emergency medical service without up front cash payment even if we had travel medical insurance that would eventually pay the bill. I haven't heard that this policy has changed and would be surprised if covid has changed that policy for the better. A few years ago, Ataturk Airport in Istanbul was the site of a horrifying terrorist attack that shocked most experienced travelers. That airport was one of the most secure in the world. I traveled through it for my trip and was impressed with the significant layers of security. That attack underlines that Turkey has significant and sophisticated armed groups within its borders that will use all methods at their disposal to get what they want. It also goes without further explanation that the government has a very unwelcoming and repressive policy toward gay and trans citizens and tourists alike. It also has a demonstrated mistrust of and action against women who seek to advance democracy and their voice in the state. I love the people of Turkey but have deep concerns about the safety of travel and the future security of its people. I'm grateful to have traveled when I did. I won't return in the near future. I thought carefully before I posted as some politics are at play to provide examples for my concerns. I trust that the mods will delete this post if it strays too far. I didn't want to post a vague warning because that doesn't mean much without necessary detail.

I am traveling to Turkey in September. I chose this destination due to it only having 12 active cases per 100 000 (Canada currently has about 17/100 000), their world renowned covid treatment methods, and because Turkey will treat tourists for free if they become infected. I am going to the Dalaman area which actually has only 5 active cases per 100 000, plus they also have gorgeous beaches and ancient ruins. I don't plan to eat in restaurants, go to bars or be anywhere that I need to socialize with people as I want to lower my risk as much as possible. I am going away for two weeks then I am coming home to quarantine for two weeks, I was in Europe in March when borders were being closed and the pandemic was declared, so I already have some experience with how travel works in these times and how I handle the quarantine (I love it).
I know a lot of people will think it is reckless and selfish of me to travel out of the country, but I am doing everything I can to lessen the risk.

Regarding Turkey treating travellers for free......this is done via an insurance type policy I believe which you apply for. Please be sure to check the policy on the insurance being offered. Most say they will cover you but the per day limits may be quite low. In addition, if you are hospitalized, make sure the policy actually has coverage that extends to at least one month beyond the coverage you purchased in case you are hospitalized...which still may not be long enough. I would also ask if tourists will have any priority over hospital beds or is it locals first.

I personally would not travel outside the country while Canada has a travel alert in place asking us to stay home. There is a reason for it. However, your choice is your choice. Just make certain you know sure about the coverages applicable to you.

We were in Iceland last summer and would love to go back in the winter to see the Northern Lights. Very safe, serene, picturesque and not too touristy. At this point I would rather be there than any of the Disney parks!

I stumbled across this website a couple of weeks ago and i think it might help with this topic!!
It's Time to Travel

It's full of all kinds of links to various airlines & airports, hotel chains, train travel, car rentals, individual tourism boards & chambers from various cities. There's also a really handy interactive map of where we can travel to right now and what restrictions are in place within Canada.
[/B]
For example if i say i want to travel from Ontario to Newfoundland & Labrador this pops up. If i click on the link to learn more i land on their provincial COVID page so i can read all about their info.
View attachment 516011
There's also a list of all of the international areas we can travel to and what restrictions are being imposed. Here's Iceland for an example (cause isn't that a place we'd want to go for a holiday?!?!)
View attachment 516012

We traveled to NS and PEI this summer (both within our Atlantic bubble). I doubt we will travel to any other province for a while - we would have to quarantine 14 days upon returning to NB which is prohibitive.

We won’t go to the US until there is a vaccine. Hoping by summer 2021 or Spring 2022.

We’re currently at a KOA cabin near Toronto, drove here from Ottawa. It’s been a great option to be closer to family for visiting while not having to share bathrooms/kitchens. This is the first time in over 10 years we don’t have a vacation booked, it’s weird not having anything to plan and look forward to!

We canceled our DCL Mediterranean cruise for next summer, totally not sure when we’ll travel again (hoping for 2022?). If we do travel next year it would likely be within Canada, maybe the Maritime provinces, Yukon, NU, so much to see!

For now we’re putting money away and will be remodeling the main floor likely next year. That’s if the supply chain is more predictable!

I am a former Montrealer living in Brockville Ontario. My brother and I own a fishing camp northeast of La Tuque, Quebec. That is where i am headed in a couple of weeks. I can get there while following social distancing rules and there are only 2 Cabins on the lake.
That is as far as I am likely to go this year. I also hope that the border with the US stays virtually closed (20 minutes from here) until at least the end of 2020. As much as I would love to see friends in the US and travel to Hawaii, I just don’t see that happening until we all have a vaccine available and a better handle on the pandemic.

I'm sure you've done extensive research for this trip esp during covid. I traveled to Turkey about 10 yrs ago for a 2 week Trafalgar bus tour and it was one of the best vacation experiences I ever had. As a result, I've followed developments in Turkey carefully over the years including their administration - that has held onto power for more than 10 years without change - and the attempted military coup the other summer. Many believe that coup likely would have ushered in a more stable and democratic state and that the officer corps rose up in the spirit of Ataturk to save their country. This is a long standing tradition in that country rooted in the proud history of the Janissaries. The coup was violently suppressed. Senior and junior officers alike were executed or disappeared in the purge that followed. Westerners don't usually view military coups as positive steps for change. This was an exception. Our Trafalgar bus guide also stressed to us the importance of not being injured on tour and not to expect any emergency medical service without up front cash payment even if we had travel medical insurance that would eventually pay the bill. I haven't heard that this policy has changed and would be surprised if covid has changed that policy for the better. A few years ago, Ataturk Airport in Istanbul was the site of a horrifying terrorist attack that shocked most experienced travelers. That airport was one of the most secure in the world. I traveled through it for my trip and was impressed with the significant layers of security. That attack underlines that Turkey has significant and sophisticated armed groups within its borders that will use all methods at their disposal to get what they want. It also goes without further explanation that the government has a very unwelcoming and repressive policy toward gay and trans citizens and tourists alike. It also has a demonstrated mistrust of and action against women who seek to advance democracy and their voice in the state. I love the people of Turkey but have deep concerns about the safety of travel and the future security of its people. I'm grateful to have traveled when I did. I won't return in the near future. I thought carefully before I posted as some politics are at play to provide examples for my concerns. I trust that the mods will delete this post if it strays too far. I didn't want to post a vague warning because that doesn't mean much without necessary detail.
I think this was a very respectful and well informed post. I for one was completely unaware of the history and current state of affairs in Turkey. I think it’s so important to know these things when travelling.

We are staying close to home, doing day trips to different areas where we have not been before etc. I have two trips that I will need to cancel to Disneyland this fall (just have not had the strength to do it yet) lol.

I have a trip to a resort about 2 hours from us next week that I am actually a little nervous about going too. Hubby said we are going and that I can just clean the room to make myself feel better.

I am wondering if it would be better to skip the states and goto Disneyland Paris if their numbers are down and if it is safer next year.

Has anyone stayed in a hotel, air b&b etc since covid? How did you feel?

We are staying close to home, doing day trips to different areas where we have not been before etc. I have two trips that I will need to cancel to Disneyland this fall (just have not had the strength to do it yet) lol.

I have a trip to a resort about 2 hours from us next week that I am actually a little nervous about going too. Hubby said we are going and that I can just clean the room to make myself feel better.

I am wondering if it would be better to skip the states and goto Disneyland Paris if their numbers are down and if it is safer next year.

Has anyone stayed in a hotel, air b&b etc since covid? How did you feel?
The past 2 weeks we’ve traveled 2x each destination (BC) was no longer than 2 hrs from home. First trip was Whistler but we stayed in a condo owned by family. However we did eat out once on an outside patio. I felt very comfortable with their procedures. Tables were more than 6’ apart. Totally sanitized and waited 5 min to let sanitizer sit before seating next people.
Next trip was to Harrison. The hotel was at 50% capacity. Signs everywhere, only one Party in elevator, sanitizer stations everywhere, reduced services so no housekeeping, Bell service or room service. The Hotel has 3 outdoor hot springs pools open, and was easy to socially distance. We ate meals at a few outdoor patios around town. All were following protocol. I’m not ready to eat inside but many restaurants had outdoor patios.

I hear you about not having the strength to cancel trips. So disappointing. We should be in WDW now. Have a Universal trip coming up, late Nov and still have to cancel that, it’s hard.

The only reason I would travel right now is if I had a family member who was terminally ill. Most of the cases in my province are travel-related and I'm not going to add unnecessarily to those numbers. My family did 3 vacations in the 3 months before covid hit here and that's going to have to tide us over for awhile.

I just finished booking a room for my family at a small hotel for one night this week. I'm a bit nervous but keep reminding myself that Ontario's numbers are very low. I'll bring a bottle of lysol wipes to wipe down as much as I can. My grandpa died last week and the service will be held at 11 AM. Since it is in Ottawa it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive. We discussed getting up early to leave at 6 AM and then drive home starting maybe as late as 6 PM. That would be such a long day though.

Ironically I was suppose to be on a cruise that I won this Friday. The cruise line is forcing me to book in March. I'd rather rebook for summer. I do not have confidence the States will be all right for travel in March.

We live in Toronto and two weeks ago we drove to Ottawa for a change of scenery. We rented at a small hotel near Byward market and felt safe with the protocols - no housekeeping and the free breakfast was preboxed and had to be eaten back in your room, masks were worn at all indoor locations. It was eerie at how empty Ottawa was at the height of what would be the normal tourist season. Hardly a sole in sight. We drove back through Algonquin Park on our way back to the cottage and I swear there were more people walking the trails than were in Ottawa.

We aren’t travelling at all until a vaccine (I hope we get one). It just doesn’t seem like it’s worth the risk and worry. We have a pool and live in the woods, so it’s very picturesque and one with nature. I do miss planning our adventures though. I had hoped to get back to Newfoundland the first week of September. Won’t happen this year. Maybe next year. I love that province as much as my home—and Disney of course!

We aren’t travelling at all until a vaccine (I hope we get one). It just doesn’t seem like it’s worth the risk and worry. We have a pool and live in the woods, so it’s very picturesque and one with nature. I do miss planning our adventures though. I had hoped to get back to Newfoundland the first week of September. Won’t happen this year. Maybe next year. I love that province as much as my home—and Disney of course!

Travel means using other people's bed linen, cutlery, food, household items, even in a hotel. It's the same as swapping your home with a stranger neighbor for one week. I do not see my family doing that during this time of pandemic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter