When would you go?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
If you were planning a short trip, only 2 or 3 park days, for 2 children (12 and 9), when would you go to meet the following parameters:

- You do not want insane crowds (no 8, 9s etc...)
- You would (in an ideal situation) miss the risk of hurricanes
- You cannot go before May 1st
- You would like nice weather
- You want to go before Star Wars opens (see #1 re: avoiding insane crowds)

First week of May. Should hit all of your requirements. Crowds are 4-6 maybe a little higher on the weekends. It's warm (high 80s low 90s) but not yet humid. No hurricanes (typically anyway).

Is there something going on that week? I checked rooms for May 5-9th, and all the values and a good chunk of all the other rooms, are sold out!

Is there something going on that week? I checked rooms for May 5-9th, and all the values and a good chunk of all the other rooms, are sold out!

There are cheerleading competitions. They are mostly at the values but we saw quite a few at Contemporary 2 years ago. They don't affect the parks too much though.

I go the last week of April for my birthday week. It is a very nice time to go so I would go the first week of May

If you were planning a short trip, only 2 or 3 park days, for 2 children (12 and 9), when would you go to meet the following parameters:

2nd week of May. If there's issues with cheerleaders/availability til the 12th, I'd go the 12th...although your availability issues may be because of the short trip. Many times Disney will say they have no availability if you don't have enough nights booked. - Check to see if you can for a week around your dates, if so, then there's obviously availability - you should be able to call and book it at that point - annoying yes lol.

2nd week of May. If there's issues with cheerleaders/availability til the 12th, I'd go the 12th...although your availability issues may be because of the short trip. Many times Disney will say they have no availability if you don't have enough nights booked. - Check to see if you can for a week around your dates, if so, then there's obviously availability - you should be able to call and book it at that point - annoying yes lol.

Good to know, thanks!

I would find out when in November the Star Wars area is opening and go a week or two before it opens. Many people will hold off on visiting so they can see the new area and could result in slightly lower crowds.

To miss the possibility of hurricanes, you'll need to definitely go in May, June, July or August. Be aware though, that every now and again and hurricane "slips through" during the summer months as that's the start of the season. But the months to worry about are September and October. However, I haven't heard of many times where Disney has had to close for a hurricane. I'm going in June because I'm a teacher and that's just the easier time for me. Would have done spring break had I known son and I had the same one, but that happened after I already set a June trip in motion. :P

I'd go early May. I don't like to do the Magic Kingdom pre-Christmas, as we like to do one full day their with fireworks and with the parties your choices are (1) a Party (not a big fan: as expensive as a park day and overcrowded - the MK Christmas party was a one and done for us), (2) short day where you have to leave early (by 6 and share the park with party crowds from 4-6) -- I like this for low crowds, but DS likes fireworks so this is a no go, or (3) a full MK day that is super busy because with the parties so many people pick this (parties skew crowds big time) -- This is what DS picks, but here you are trying to go a lower level crowd time and you get crowd level 8s or higher (not a thrilling choice in my book, but our typical choice this time of year).

As the MK is the most important park to us, I am not a fan of November. The MK parties but a damper on that time of year for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!