When you go to Disney World, do you go anywhere else?

cinnaminny

DIS Veteran
As in other parks or are you strictly a Disney World family/person/couple? Do you go to Seaworld, Universal Studios?

My DH is set on only going to WDW, but I am worried we might be missing something.

Sometimes we do.

I remember as a kid we would go to Disney, wayyyy back when the Magic Kingdom was it, then my dad would drive us the next day to Sanibel Island for the "real vacation" as my parents would call it.

When we go to WDW, we go to WDW. We've taken the kids once to Universal to do HP stuff; that was a shorter trip unto itself. The only time we've done both at the same time is when DH joined me at a conference I was attending in a Universal hotel; we hit F&W for a day before conference began and then went to MNSSHP one night

Every couple of years I take a day and go to Universal. I haven't been to SeaWorld in many years.

I was thinking the next time I go in May that I might want to take a day and drive to a beach - I love collecting shells.

We are spending a few days in Cocoa Beach/KSS before we get to WDW. But a little worried we might be missing something amazing at Universal Studios. My husband is prejudiced. He has been to the Universal in Hollywood, so he is completely uninterested in a day trip to Universal Orlando. He thought it was awful (pre-wizarding world) Plus for the three of us, it would cost over 500 for one day.

Normally, we just go to DW. Last year we tacked on 3 days at Universal for the first time. We loved Harry Potter lands! But I have no real desire to return. Kids really want to go back though. We'll probably add a couple of Universal days next year.

As in other parks or are you strictly a Disney World family/person/couple? Do you go to Seaworld, Universal Studios?

My DH is set on only going to WDW, but I am worried we might be missing something.
We've been to Aquatica, which is the water park adjacent to Sea World. It's nice, but not a necessity as Disney also has 2 great water parks.

Beyond that, no. I don't like real thrill rides, and none of Universal's theming appeals to me.

When we go to Florida, we mix it up. We love the other parks (Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens) as much as or maybe even a little more than Disney.

I know others may disagree, but I really feel those three parks are on the same level of quality as Disney just on a smaller scale. I've always found them to be well decorated and themed, clean, in good repair, and with generally helpful friendly workers. A few of the attractions and shows, I'd say you could even argue as better than anything I've seen at Disney.

However, we don't tend to mix Disney with the other parks in the same trip for a number of reasons. We usually do either a Disney trip (parks, Disney Springs, Disney water parks), an Orlando trip (Sea World, Universal, an orange grove, usually a one day trip to another city) or a Tampa trip (beach, St Pete, Aquarium, Busch Gardens, Manatee Viewing Center, etc).

This is because:
  1. Size.
    1. Disney is huge. We like to make sure we can see and do everything we want to without having to pick and choose too much.
    2. This means we need at least one day per park if not multiple days per park. There usually isn't much time left over to visit anywhere else.
    3. Our upcoming trip, we will do 5 full days at Disney, and I really wish we had at least one more day there, as 5 is feeling kind of rushed. As much as I'd love to go to Universal as well, it just isn't practical, when we are barely going to be able to squeeze our must do attractions in at Disney as it is.
    4. Disney works well alone as a week to two week trip.
    5. The other parks don't take as many days. Universal is about 3 days. Sea world and Busch Gardens about 1.5 to 2 days each. This makes it easy to do all those other parks together as a one week trip separate from Disney.
  2. Location and Travel.
    1. Disney is in Kissimmee. The other parks are located farther north in the Dr Phillips area of Orlando.
    2. Sea World and Universal are close together. Disney is not far, but not close to either park.
    3. In addition, Universal hotels offer free shuttles to Sea World and Busch Gardens.
    4. This just makes more sense to us to do the parks near each other in the same trip.
  3. Cost
    1. All the parks get cheaper the longer you stay, so from a cost perspective it makes much more sense to us to do 6 days at the same park, rather than 2 days each at 3 different parks.
    2. For instance, a 2 day ticket might be $275, but a 6 day ticket might only be $450. Staying at the same park 6 days would save $375 a person.
    3. Most hotel rooms work the same way as well. They usually become less expensive the longer you stay.

We do enjoy all the different parks. I have never regretted going to any of the other parks. I have even owned season passes to all 3 at one time or another, something I've never done at Disney. But, it can get overwhelming trying to fit in all the parks in the same trip.

If you do decide to visit a different park. I'd pick one, and maybe go for a just a day trip. Do some research on the different parks; see what is available at each and what appeals to you. Just like Disney parks, some people would never skip a particular park, and others think it's a waste of time. Only you will know if a different park appeals to you more than your options at Disney.

Also, check out day trips to the Everglades, the Kennedy Space Center, the manatees, or even just a short trip to an orange grove. Those are all amazing not to be missed Florida activities, and who knows how much longer the manatees or the Everglades will be around.

Either/or. If we're doing WDW, we're not going to Universal or SW. If we're going to Universal and/or Seaworld, we're not doing WDW. Financially, it doesn't make sense for our family to combine WDW with the other parks on the same trip.

Our last 2 WDW trips we did Universal and SeaWorld and a beach day. This trip we plan to do SeaWorld again and the Kennedy Space Center as well as some time at the beach if we can swing it. My husband refuses to do only Disney. He needs something to break it up.

We LOVE Universal and would often add a visit to our WDW trips but have never just done it on it's own.

Now that we have WDW APs, we usually just stick to that. It pains me to fork out $$ for admission tickets & parking at another park nearby when my WDW ones already "paid" for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter