Where are "Meal-shares" acceptable??

carene

<font color=0000CC>disney freak<br><font color=FF0
HI ALL!

I have never posted on the Restaurants board before.

I recently saw a thread on either the Budget or Families Board, regarding meal shares.

The discussion was about how some people have bought adult meals for their kids to share at WDW.
I didn't think that Disney would allow this?

Do they allow this even when they have a seperate children's menu or they offer a service of reduced portions for children.

Does anybody have any information on this?
I would also love to hear from anyone about your experiences.

Carene

We've been to a couple of the Disney restaurants and my girls have shared their meals. (They like to make sure they'll have room for dessert!) The waiter just brings out an extra plate. In fact, at the 50s Prime Time, two ladies next to our table were sharing the fried chicken dinner, and when the waitress brought out the "extra" plate, she had already split the chicken for them, and gave each of the plates mashed potatoes and veggies!

Originally posted by carene
HI ALL!

I have never posted on the Restaurants board before.

I recently saw a thread on either the Budget or Families Board, regarding meal shares.

The discussion was about how some people have bought adult meals for their kids to share at WDW.
I didn't think that Disney would allow this?

Do they allow this even when they have a seperate children's menu or they offer a service of reduced portions for children.

Does anybody have any information on this?
I would also love to hear from anyone about your experiences.

Carene

We often purchase an adult meal to share between my 6yo and 8yo - even with a childs menu! I am always up front about it with the server and generally it costs more than the kiddos meal would anyway. Occassionaly there is a "splitting fee or a plate fee" which we gladly pay. (Although I don't think I have run into this at WDW)

Our reason is not about the cost but about the variety in the choices. Even a kid gets tired of the mac & cheese, hot dog, pizza choices on a kids menu. My girls would much rather have a nice peice of fish or chicken with a baked potato or salad than a hot dog with chips or fries.

If they would offer the "service of reduced portions" then we would gladly take advantage of that but we have never seen this. Actually that would be great on an evening where the girls can't agree on a meal!! Sometimes we order the girls an appetizer or soup as dinner or lunch rather than a kids choice.

To tell you the truth I can't think of a reason why any restaurant including a WDW restaurant wouldn't allow this? Glad I haven't run into this as we probalby would just choose to eat elsewhere.

TJ

The only WDW restaurant that I'm aware of that not a buffet that actually charges a splitting fee is Shula's.

We have split entree's in order to leave room for appetizers and dessert.

We've also been able to order half portions for DS when he was younger. It's not listed on the menu, you have to ask, and it's not available for every entree.

My sister almost always split a childs meal between her two when they were 2 & 5, no way they could finish two kids meals, and usually they didn't even finish the one!

At buffets you will ALWAYS be charged for each child 3 and up, regardless of how much they eat.

The only time I think it's "wrong" to split a meal (and this is MHO, not Disney's rule) is when you want to get a seat for the fireworks at the Rose and Crown, or a tankside table at the Coral Reef, or a window table at the CG for the fireworks, and you do'nt want to spend the money to eat there, so you order two soda's and an appetizer and take up that space...the server is losing big time, unless you tip as if you had ordered full meals.

Tha's not to say that there's anything wrong with having a couple drinks and an appetizer at the Living Seas at 4:00pm when there is no one else there, and they are glad to have your business, but doing so during prime dinner hours isn't fair to the waitstaff.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter