Where can a teenager shop off property?

Earstou

DIS Veteran
During our next trip, my daughter wants to spend some time on her own away from WDW shopping. I have no clue where she can go and how she can get there. I don't want to pay for a taxi, so where can she catch a bus? Also where can she get a bus schedule?
Lastly, where is a safe, close shopping area that would interest a teenager?

Most definitely Downtown Disney! And depending on where you are staying, she may be able to catch a bus there.

Other than that, the Florida Mall is too far out to venture on her own.

Well, there's the Plaza Venezia up on Sand Lake, but there's not much there for a teenager -- a skateboard store and Barnes and Noble are the only stores I can really remember caring about there.

The Florida Mall is a decent haul away, but you can get there using the Lynx buses. One Lynx bus stop is at the TTC. It does drop off right at the Florida Mall. More info about the Lynx system can be found here. A lot of my friends on the college program got around on Lynx with no trouble, but most of them were students at urban campuses. (I also don't know how old your daughter is -- that would definitely make a difference!)

Most definitely Downtown Disney!
I already suggested DD to her, but she wants to go off property.
(I'd rather she go to DD) :rolleyes:

I also don't know how old your daughter is
She will be graduating from high school in a few weeks, leaving for college in a few months, so I'm somewhat comfortable with her going off on her own if I can figure it out ahead of time! (Thus control it to a certain degree!)
She's never ridden public transportation, that's the only thing that really bothers me!
SoonerKate :
Which bus is it that she could catch directly to the mall? How long would it take to get there?
Thanks for all the help!!!

Lynx Buses can be caught at TTC. This shopping outlet is very near WDW and is reported to be an upscale set of Outlet stores. I read on a thread on the Budget board that the intererning CM shop here.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359546

1 to 2 miles from WDW.

Orlando Premium Outlets
Vineland Ave.
Off I-4 near DownTown Disney
Phone: 407-238-7787

Near Lake Buena Vista and Downtown Disney, Orlando Premium Outlets includes Adidas, Banana Republic Factory Store, Barney's New York Outlet, Bebe, Bottega Veneta, Coach, Cole Haan, DKNY, Dooney & Bourke, Guess, Kenneth Cole, Louis Feraud, Nike Factory store, Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store, Puma, Reebok, Tod’s, Max Mara, Donna Karan, Timberland, Versace Company Store, Tommy Hilfiger and more.. At savings of 25 % to 65% everyday.

Stroll through this outdoor, Mediterranean-themed village, and discover 110 designer and name-brand outlet stores, offering everyday savings of 25 to 65 percent. Customer services include lockers, shipping and foreign currency exchange. Open Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 9p.m.

I hope this helps!!!

I can't think why she would want to go off shopping on her own???:( :(

But I think that Disney Marketplace would be the safest place for her. She will go into World of Disney, and could end up spending the whole time in there!!! LOL

Other than that, the Florida Mall is a long way off, but you could all go up together, and suggest a meeting place and time thus giving her some 'freedom'????

I have to admit that i would not be comfortable with this, but if she really, really whined about wanting to do it, i would let her, but have her carry a cellphone with her (and I have one also)

Not that I have any useful shopping tips to offer (we don't go on vacation to shop. :) ), but it's threads like this that remind me how we can all live in the same country but live in different worlds. The concept of a high school senior who had never ridden on public transit is almost outside the realm of possibility for someone who grew up in the city. :)

Then again, wifey-poo grew up in the mid-west and thought it funny I'd never driven a tractor. Heck, I still haven't.

You can't teach street smarts in a DIS thread and I'm sure public transit there is safe....but if you let her go, just make sure she double checks the bus she's getting on is the one she wants, that she sits near the driver, doesn't show flashy jewelry and keeps her purse strap across her body and the purse in front of her and keeps track of her purchases....oh, and try to not look like a target. :)

Hope this helps,
Joe

My Dd is a jr. in high school and she wouldn't be caught dead in anything clothes from WDW!! If she was shopping for college she would want to get name brand clothes that Sr. and College age kids thought were "groovey, and da bomb". So I understand that side of it.

But for safety sake and my peace of mind I think I would arrange a taxi or a Towncar for the day. The driver would be able to take her shopping and bring her back to your resort.

I would tell my Dd I had arranged a special shopping day for her and here is your fancy transportation for the day!! Have fun Dear!!

I read on a thread on the Budget board that the intererning CM shop here.

Believe me, they do! I didn't make much money on my college program, but what I did make I spent at the premium outlets! (Come on -- a Coach Factory Store less than a mile from my apartment? Only a crazy girl would pass that up!) Actually, the outlets are very close to Disney property -- they're right on Vineland Rd, past the College program housing and the Mary, Queen of the Universe shrine. It's an easy place to shop all day, with a good food court and towncar or taxi transportation wouldn't be that expensive. The city public transportation (Lynx) also drops off and picks up there.

Which bus is it that she could catch directly to the mall? How long would it take to get there?

It's the Lynx bus, which is Orlando public transportation (With a catchy name, of course!) Lynx picks up and drops off at all 4 Disney Parks, Universal, Sea World, and Disney's TTC. I'm not sure how long it would take her to get from Disney to the Florida Mall on Lynx -- I had a car on my college program, so I used that. I'm sure you could find that information either by calling Lynx or looking on their website. (Which also has pass information -- I think it would be about $3 for a one-day pass, certainly cheaper than a town car!) The website is linked in my previous post and there are information phone numbers to call on it.

Lynx also drops off and picks up at the Mall of Millenia! (More expensive than the Florida Mall, but a lot more fun to window shop at!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter