Where do you carry your EpiPen?

MrsJackSparrow

<font color=dark blue>Secretly has the hots for Ca
DH is newly allergic to shrimp and peanuts so we have an EpiPen. I know there is a temperature restriction on these, so how do you carry one around WDW? Thanks!

It should be in a cylinder that will protect it from sun and heat. I keep mine in my fanny pack and both kids keep theirs in their wheelchair backpack.

FYI you never want to use it unless his tounge is swollen or his throat is closing. It is a direct hit to your heart and can kill you if you don't use it properly.

Michigan said:
FYI you never want to use it unless his tounge is swollen or his throat is closing. It is a direct hit to your heart and can kill you if you don't use it properly.

I don't want to get in a debate about this but it is my understanding that this is not true. I would not want you or DH to wait on giving the epipen if he thinks he is having a severe allergic reaction. It does speed up the heart rate, but unless your DH has heart troubles, using the epipen should be safe and would be very unlikely to cause death. I would suggest you ask your doctor about this if you are concerned. I think it is more dangerous not to give the epipen than to give it if a person seems to be having a reaction.

I think the harder issue is when you have to give it to someone else - like your child - because you cannot know exactly how they are feeling, etc. My son is 3 and very allergic to peanuts/tree nuts and is also diabetic - and there are precautions with giving it to diabetics. Even so I've been told by his doctor not to hesitate under any circumstances to give him an epipen if I think he needs it. I questioned her extensively about this at our last visit. She said it could make him feel nervous/jittery and have effects on his blood glucose (for the diabetes) but otherwise wouldn't hurt him at all.

We keep his pens in a pack in our bag - whomever is with him keeps the pack along with his diabetic supplies. I think you're not supposed to leave it in a hot car, etc. but on your person it should be fine.

Not a debate just an observation from someone who has been in an anaphylactic shock state 5 times because of cross contamination of food with sea food.

The only time epinephrine was ever given my tongue was swollen. Once the epinephrine was injected my heart raced so fast you could see it beating through my clothes and I began to shake uncontrollably and I was freezing cold.

The other times an injection of Benadryl and have been fine. I also carry Benadryl pills with me and if I start to feel hives I can take that and it usually stops a reaction.

Michigan said:
Not a debate just an observation from someone who has been in an anaphylactic shock state 5 times because of cross contamination of food with sea food.

The only time epinephrine was ever given my tongue was swollen. Once the epinephrine was injected my heart raced so fast you could see it beating through my clothes and I began to shake uncontrollably and I was freezing cold.

The other times an injection of Benadryl and have been fine. I also carry Benadryl pills with me and if I start to feel hives I can take that and it usually stops a reaction.

No offense to the above poster but I would talk to you doctor first before following advice only when tounge is swollen etc.

I've been in anaphylaxis 9 times. Evrytime they tell me the next time it will kill me. The last time I never fully recoverd and have lasting damage. If I waited around to have the symptoms the above poster stated after having contact with latex or being stung by a bee I would be dead. Of course it makes your heart race but its purpose is not that.

Anyway.

I keep my Epipen on my service dog in his backpack. Everyone who knows me knows where it is. Its on file with MedicAlert. When out alone I wear a dogtag stating when the Pen is. My dog also has a laminated card on his harness that explains where, when to use and what my Epipen and Glucagon are in bright red.

We carry the epipen in a beltbag or if the baby is with us, in his diaper bag. He had an analphylactic reaction once, and we were told if it happens again to administer the epipen immediately and call 911. The epi pen is just to tie him over until help can arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter