Where do YOU plug your ECV in at in the parks

bluejasmine

DIS Veteran
Curious to see if anyone has any tips they can share about where they plug in their ECVs to charge at the parks if need be... I plan on charging every night but you never know..

Thanks everyone

Curious to see if anyone has any tips they can share about where they plug in their ECVs to charge at the parks if need be... I plan on charging every night but you never know..

Thanks everyone
another who has never had to plug in at parks. just make sure to plug in each night at resort.

I recharge my wheelchair every night, too. But, when I first owned my own scooter after several years, I didn't realize that even though the battery LED green light indicated the battery was fully charged, it only meant that the section of the U1/gel battery that was no longer dead was fully charged. I also noticed that it took less time to recharge. Probably because there were fewer areas of the batteries to recharge.

One day at MK my battery went from all green to all red and not running. I just asked a cast member where the nearest outlet was and recharged my scooter enough to get back to my resort room.

I was able to call Lake Buena Vista Scooters and they changed out my batteries while at the resort. It cost a pretty penny. I always buy my own batteries now and change them out myself.

So if you own or rent your scooter, may sure to charge it every night. Make sure the electrical outlet is not part of the light switch system. Meaning that if the light switch turns off near the front door, it also turns off that one electrical outlet. That happened to me one time at a DVC resort a long time ago. I plugged my scooter in at an electrical outlet near the door and I noticed when I turned off the entrance light it also turned of the electrical outlet that I was plugged into. That only happened one time and I never forgot it. Make sure you plug it into recharge immediately when you get to your resort and try to charge it for the number hours the instructions suggest like 8 or 10 or 12 hours each night. Make sure you turn off the power during the day when you stop to save battery use. Some scooters do this automatically after a certain time, but I still turn off the power when I am sitting and waiting for whatever reason. I attach the scooter key to a stretchy band so that I can put it around my wrist. It is handy when leaving the scooter to ride a WDW attraction. Or if I was waiting in a very long line like for the standby line for the December EPCOT Candlelight Processional, I just turn the key off, but I still leave the key in the power slot. You can see the LED lights or power needle turn off to confirm that it is turned off.

If you have to recharge in the park because you forgot to charge overnight, you can do it while dining, etc..

This has just been my personal experiences when I was a newbie and everyone else may have other experiences.

I know when I go the parks that I may use my batteries every day for longer periods that when I am home and I am always aware of when I last bought my batteries and if I need new ones before traveling.

And there is no definite time for how long your battery may last compared to someone else because of the use by the patient or size of the battery and the weight limit of the scooter and the weight of the rider, etc..

Some people use their scooter all of the time and everywhere at home and outside. Some people don't. Some people just rent at WDW. So everyone's experience could be different.

It really is a learning experience.

But, as everyone has already mentioned.

1. Plug your scooter in to recharge every night until you are ready to travel the next day.

2. Try to teach yourself to turn off the power during the day if you are not driving to save battery life.

3. If the battery for some reason dies at the park, just ask a cast member where the closest electrical outlet is located to you. They are everywhere, but most nearby cast members are where they may be. And you may want to call the rental company and let them know that you think the battery is not holding a charge to see what they say. They might bring you another fully charged scooter. But, not, if you just forgot to recharge overnight.

Last edited:
While it is great to say that a fully charged ECV should last all day and into the night, I am more of a realist and know that it is very possible for it not to do so, especially for those using their own personal scooters that may not have a long range battery, some of those only have a 4 mile range when brand new and on average a non-disabled person will walk about 5 to 7 miles a day, an ECV will probably need to add an additional 2 to 3 miles to account for terrain and the extra traveling necessary for wheelchair ramps, return times, etc. So, yes depending on the model of ECV, it may be very important to be able to charge during the day.

That being said, I know Disneyland has been locking most of the outlets in the parks, not sure if Disney World is doing the same, but int the past we have plugged in at:
The Land Pavilion near the elevator
Be our Guest near the entry

I have been told that the Rapunzel Bathroom area also has outlets, as well as the tents for Dumbo's Circus.

While it is great to say that a fully charged ECV should last all day and into the night, I am more of a realist and know that it is very possible
I feel the use of the word "very" is extremely misleading. " Slightly" seems much more appropriate. In addition, an ECV used armed with this information can investigate upgrading the battery in advance.
but int the past we have plugged in at:
shows
Still, it would behoove anyone to take the advice proffered by several other posters: ask a CM.

In the Magic Kingdom, we've used outlets by the newsstand outside the gate and in the tunnel under the railroad station. At EPCOT, we found them in the flowerbeds near the main entrance. Flowerbeds in general are likely places. Whenever we've needed help finding one, a maintenance Cast Member was able to direct us.

The only time I rented it was at AK. I was at the "Finding Nemo" show, and one of the CMs pointed out to me that near the exit, down below near the restrooms, there are a couple plugs so you can recharge your scooter while you're inside watching the show. Ordinarily my scooter doesn't need charging all day, but it was so convenient, I couldn't resist.

I, for a short day, don't even bring the charging cable.

Now, it is a personal scooter, that has an 18 mile range. And my husband is with me, so if something happens, he can take care of running around to get the cable or push it out of the park. He is the one that told me that for half days, I don't need the cable.

Like others here, I've never had to charge a scooter at the park. But I would simply ask a Cast Member.

Not necessarily the best move. Check with you manufacturer of rental company as to whether batteries should be topped off.

Very true. Some battery chemistries will actually suffer from not being fully discharged/recharged. Other batteries are just fine with being topped up, and don't have a "memory" per se.

The best strategy at WDW is always to start the day with a full charged battery; that way you shouldn't have to worry about charging as you go. Any rental vendor worth their salt should bring out a replacement unit and/or battery upon request, if the one they gave you initially doesn't hold up.

Not necessarily the best move. Check with you manufacturer of rental company as to whether batteries should be topped off.

Thanks, I didn't know that (obviously, or I wouldn't have done it).

Epcot: In the Land, there is large food court. The serving area is divided from the seating area by a walkway with waist high walls. There are electrical outlets all along the walls and you will frequently see ECVs plugged into them. On the back side of the building containing Club Cool there is a seating area with several outlets and, again, you will often see ECVs plugged into them.

Magic Kingdom: The ride, Space Mountain has a large gift shop at its exit. All the way to the rear of the store, on your right when you are facing toward the back of the store is an area with electrical outlets, USB ports and seating. Also, there is an area to the side of the Raphansel bathrooms with tables and seat along with outlets. Mostly you will find these fully occupied by people charging their phones but if necessary you wait and grab one when someone moves on.

Last edited:
If you charge it overnight, it should be good to go for the next day! But thanks for the updates about where to take them in the parks!

Respectfully, no. Again, sometimes topping off the battery could damage it. Please check with the rental company (or even the manufacturer) before plugging in for a few minutes.

The ladies room in Germany has an outlet and benches right outside the restroom with a decent view of Illuminations. EPCOT is the only place I have ever needed to recharge so I could get back to the bus. I called Apple the next morning and they brought me a new scooter.

When I was at DAK last month, I noticed that there were outlets in the covered area across from Flights of Passage (or whatever it's called now)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts