Where do YOU plug your ECV in at in the parks

I don't plug in in the park because I charge it overnight and it stays mostly fully charged all day long thanks to turning off when not actively needing it to be moving, parking and walking when I can, etc.

However, on my first trip using an ECV on one of the nights I forgot to plug it in. It was still pretty well charged by morning. We went to AK for our Tusker House ADR. I asked the CMs at the checkin podium if there was somewhere I could park and plug in the ECV to charge it while we ate. They took me to a sheltered area *outside* (but still part of the Tusker House complex) where I could safely plug it in and leave it while we went inside to eat.

As others have noted, a properly functioning ECV, charged overnight, and treated well in terms of turning off when not needed, etc, should last you through the whole day. If you do notice it running too low *ask a CM* where it is safe to plug it in. Don't just plug it in to any old plug.

SW

Curious to see if anyone has any tips they can share about where they plug in their ECVs to charge at the parks if need be... I plan on charging every night but you never know..

Thanks everyone
Contrary to what some people may think there are plenty of reasons batteries die when properly charged...even if you turn it off when not in use.

To actually answer the question you asked, I’m not sure there are any designated places to recharge but if there’s a problem you may find a way.

I had a rental at MK during MVMCP last year and it was very cold and it had affected the battery. It died in Frontierland and the CMs in Prairie Outpost let me plug it in for little while...long enough to get back to gate.

The following week we were at Universal and the rental had a bad battery that died in a matter of hours and I found several places to charge it.

If something happens it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Mike

In the Pecos Bill's restaurant L near the entrance and to the R when facing the ordering area. As stated before, in the land pavilion just inside the entrance. To the L of the entrance (under cover) of Pirates of the Caribbean.

I am resurrecting this old thread in hopes that someone may have some other options to add for charging an ECV while in the parks.

I am resurrecting this old thread in hopes that someone may have some other options to add for charging an ECV while in the parks.

No need to bring this old zombie post back to life; there is no need to charge a rental ECV while in the Parks, as long as you make sure that you charge it completely, in your Resort room, overnight.

If it is your personal ECV, and you know that the batteries will not last a full ”Disney day” without recharging, I would strongly suggest visiting a website like Monsterscooterparts.com and looking at buying new batteries for your personal device.

Increasingly, most of the outlets that you see in the Parks require very special “keys” to be unlocked or opened. Never plug *anything* you value into a random outlet at WDW without asking a CM first; it’s not safe, and you could blow all of the electronics on your ECV.

We were just there during the week before and after July 4, and most all of the “visible” outlets we saw now require either a special key to open the cover to use, or require special, modified plugs on the equipment that uses them.

Increasingly, most of the outlets that you see in the Parks require very special “keys” to be unlocked or opened. Never plug *anything* you value into a random outlet at WDW without asking a CM first; it’s not safe, and you could blow all of the electronics on your ECV.
The only right answer is to ask a CM. We needed to charge an ECV at USF. We had been "charging" it overnight using a switch controlled outlet in our hotel. A Universal team member told us to take it to the back section of the scooter rental office. We didn't rent it from them but they were happy to let us plug it in and charge it.

We saw a park rented scooter die in the elevator in the Land Pavilion, 10:30a

No need to bring this old zombie post back to life; there is no need to charge a rental ECV while in the Parks, as long as you make sure that you charge it completely, in your Resort room, overnight.

This is true, but sometimes things happen. For example, a travel day and then hitting the parks running (er, wheeling) can take more out of your device than you expect. Or what happened to me recently: I plugged it into an outlet all night that was dead and didn't know it because it was our first night at the hotel and I didn't check the indicator light like I should have. Headed out the next morning and went "...why am I down a third already?" My options were coming back midday to sit around for several hours, or seeing if I could find somewhere convenient to plug in for a bit while we ate and the ambulatory among us rested their feet. Just because ECVs and other powered devices should be able to go all day and never need charged at the park...on the rare occasion it DOES happen, it's very helpful to know where to go! I know I was frantically googling and wished I'd had a smidge of a gameplan in advance.

Above posters are right that more and more outlets are being blocked because people would sit there charging their phones. I don't know locations at WDW, but if anyone's at Disneyland there are a couple outlets in Hungry Bear on the lower level next to the bathrooms. First aid will also let you plug in there. There are several outlets on the outer edge of Batuu, though not all of them worked (at least without a key) while we were there. In DCA, there are two outlets on the exterior of Knick's Knacks (one by each set of doors), one of which is in a great shaded nook. Always ask a CM/follow their instructions and be prepared to move if another CM comes by and says it's not allowed. No one had a problem with my chair when I needed to charge it, but like anything else YMMV.

We have rented from several rental scooter companies in past with less that good condition scooters, and we spent the days chasing outlets to plug in all day long. Missing endless activities over the years. Not the way you want to spend your vacation. The company we use now we just simply charge the scooter overnight and the Scooter battery last us all day and all night. We never need to plug in ever. We leave the resort after breakfast and we are present for rope drop. We travel all day we watch the fireworks and normally return back at 11PM. With plenty of battery power left. It really comes down to renting from a company that maintains there rentals and uses the extend range batteries. Before finding the company we use now, we didn't even realize there was a scooter that lasted all day.

Most bathrooms have an outlet near the entrance!
As DH learned at Disneyland on Saturday (he didn't fully charge the night before), most of the outlets are now either keyed or have a locking cover on them. At Disneyland (not sure about DCA at this time), there are now only three places to charge a scooter:
  • The scooter rental location, they will allow you to leave it there, but then the question becomes how to get around.
  • First Aid, you must remain with the scooter and wear a mask the entire time since it is a "medical facility"
  • One outlet at Hungry Bear near the restroom that is a GFCI outlet, so you may need to press the reset button, but you will know it is working because there is a green light
    • NOTE: No other restroom in all of the park had a working outlet that was unlocked that guests could use.
As far as anyone could tell him, those are now the ONLY three places in all of Disneyland to charge a scooter, the rest are intentionally turned off or locked. This is a recent development in the last two months or so, as last time we were there, there were plenty more locations that worked, so I suspect that WDW is going to do the same thing as well.

At the Magic Kingdom in WDW there's an area near the Tangled restrooms that has outlets specifically designed for guests to use. Here's a post I made about it 4 months ago:
If you're at the Magic Kingdom, there's a place in Fantasyland near the Tangled restrooms that was specifically designed for people to charge their devices - including phones as well as ECV's. It's a themed rest area, with barrel tables, seats that look like tree stumps, and larger stumps with doors to access outlets. More details including pictures and a video can be found in this article:
“Tangled” themed rest area now open at Magic Kingdom featuring bathrooms and charging area

As DH learned at Disneyland on Saturday (he didn't fully charge the night before), most of the outlets are now either keyed or have a locking cover on them. At Disneyland (not sure about DCA at this time), there are now only three places to charge a scooter:
  • The scooter rental location, they will allow you to leave it there, but then the question becomes how to get around.
  • First Aid, you must remain with the scooter and wear a mask the entire time since it is a "medical facility"
  • One outlet at Hungry Bear near the restroom that is a GFCI outlet, so you may need to press the reset button, but you will know it is working because there is a green light
    • NOTE: No other restroom in all of the park had a working outlet that was unlocked that guests could use.
As far as anyone could tell him, those are now the ONLY three places in all of Disneyland to charge a scooter, the rest are intentionally turned off or locked. This is a recent development in the last two months or so, as last time we were there, there were plenty more locations that worked, so I suspect that WDW is going to do the same thing as well.
Wow! I stand corrected! Disney World has outlets where you can plug in your scooter, using proper protocols!!

At the Magic Kingdom in WDW there's an area near the Tangled restrooms that has outlets specifically designed for guests to use. Here's a post I made about it 4 months ago:
Yes.
We often see people plugging their ECVs there. It was planned for both phones and mobility devices.
DVC members can also use the DVC lounge on the 2nd floor of Imagination. They have multiple plug in points by the tables and chairs. Guests need to check in with valid proof of DVC membership, but can stay as long as they want.

Most bathrooms have an outlet near the entrance!
I did use an outlet near a bathroom entrance at AK once about 5 years ago for just enough to get my phone out of the red zone. That took about 15 minutes and I was tucked into a corner of the entrance, not blocking the it at all
I don’t know if they are still unlocked, but an ECV plugged into the same outlet I used would have blocked at least half of the entrance.

I did use an outlet near a bathroom entrance at AK once about 5 years ago for just enough to get my phone out of the red zone. That took about 15 minutes and I was tucked into a corner of the entrance, not blocking the it at all
I don’t know if they are still unlocked, but an ECV plugged into the same outlet I used would have blocked at least half of the entrance.
The problem with the AK bathrooms is that it's the only park with doors on the restrooms (I think it's a safety feature in case an animal gets loose). At every other park, I think, the entry to the restrooms is open, and there's an entry way area with a plug (at least at the ones I've been to) . Back your scooter up if you're recharging an ECV, so you're facing out-if you stay close to the wall, you won't block anyone and you can people watch. Splash Mountain's exit is kind of fun because you get to watch all the wet people go by.

The problem with the AK bathrooms is that it's the only park with doors on the restrooms (I think it's a safety feature in case an animal gets loose). At every other park, I think, the entry to the restrooms is open, and there's an entry way area with a plug (at least at the ones I've been to) . Back your scooter up if you're recharging an ECV, so you're facing out-if you stay close to the wall, you won't block anyone and you can people watch. Splash Mountain's exit is kind of fun because you get to watch all the wet people go by.
I’m not sure which others have doors, but some do. Many are quite tight at the entrance - many without doors have an entry hall, then a turn before getting into the actual restroom

Based on my experience a scooter that "fits" you will last all day. Please get correct size for your weight. Bigger is better. If DVC member Epcot members lounge has outlets.

Based on my experience a scooter that "fits" you will last all day. Please get correct size for your weight. Bigger is better. If DVC member Epcot members lounge has outlets.
My experience too! The only time I used the "bathroom outlets" was when I forgot to charge my scooter overnight, and was on my second day of battery charge. Never forgot to charge the battery after that-I was so afraid the battery would run out and I was solo.

While it is great to say that a fully charged ECV should last all day and into the night, I am more of a realist and know that it is very possible for it not to do so, especially for those using their own personal scooters that may not have a long range battery, some of those only have a 4 mile range when brand new and on average a non-disabled person will walk about 5 to 7 miles a day, an ECV will probably need to add an additional 2 to 3 miles to account for terrain and the extra traveling necessary for wheelchair ramps, return times, etc. So, yes depending on the model of ECV, it may be very important to be able to charge during the day.

That being said, I know Disneyland has been locking most of the outlets in the parks, not sure if Disney World is doing the same, but int the past we have plugged in at:
The Land Pavilion near the elevator
Be our Guest near the entry

I have been told that the Rapunzel Bathroom area also has outlets, as well as the tents for Dumbo's Circus.
The elevator area in the Land Pavilion was a hot mess when we were there - not sure where the outlet is you are talking about, but the alcove that has the actual elevator barely fit one scooter waiting for the elevator with space to let the people/ecvs on the elevator room to get off and make the turn to the pavilion. If the outlet is in that alcove, there's no room for people using the elevator.

The elevator area in the Land Pavilion was a hot mess when we were there - not sure where the outlet is you are talking about, but the alcove that has the actual elevator barely fit one scooter waiting for the elevator with space to let the people/ecvs on the elevator room to get off and make the turn to the pavilion. If the outlet is in that alcove, there's no room for people using the elevator.
Are you thinking of the elevator area that's the first one if you enter the Land building and turn left? There's another elevator area just before the Garden Grill restaurant. Hopefully, that's the one they meant. You're right-that alcove in the first area is very small-the other is much larger.

The other caveat is that the scooter is in good condition (an old enough motor will draw a higher current and drain the battery faster) and that the batteries are in good shape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter