Where has Charles been ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly see that there is a place for Steve's simple pallet on the dining reviews. For those who have family members (children or not) who are similar, it is great to get that viewpoint. Unfortunately, with the loss of Charles, there isn't anyone on the other end of the spectrum. My family ALL are adventurous eaters. (Yes, even when children - my son insisted on eating hot wings at 2 and was trying, and loving, escargot and conch fritters at 5) Without Charles, there isn't anyone on the dining show who will deliberately try the "weird and different" food. Can you imagine any of the others deliberately ordering the goat dish? I will really miss Charles on the dining reviews.
Nicely put, and I agree that BOTH ends of the "food palate spectrum" should be represented, and appreciated, if possible, from the cast of characters available. :)

I can remember when Dustin left, there were discussions about that for weeks with a very fond farewell. At least an acknowledgement would be very nice for fans. Nobody is owed reasons, but a simple statement is the right thing to do.

They made a fuss about Dustin a) because of how long he’d been there and b) because of the way he revolutionized the presentation, from being an audio only show to a video show. The end of that episode, in which pete notes “your hands and heart will always be on everything we do” and Craig’s “I owe my life to you” will always stick with me.

Then there was the short video announcement from JL when she left...

Then the company grew and grew, technology moved even further faster ahead and video content almost became the new norm- I know I watch way more Dis content than I listen to now, and that wasn’t always the case. The team grows, the product diversifies, things move faster and faster... people are naturally going to come and go at a faster rate. Whilst it would be “nice”, I don’t think it’s practical to keep tabs on who’s doing what/leaving etc.

They did also mention at the time some other guy that left, but the questions keep coming to this day... whatever happened to Oliver? 😜

Charles was a good addition to the team and his insight will be missed.

As far not getting a proper good bye, maybe he didn't want anything on air and just kept it between the team. In that case, we should honor that.

Charles is a great example of a team member who evolved and improved with time. If I'm completely honest, when I first watched his awkwardly serious/nervous readings of the Dis Daily Fix, while overdressing for the part vs the previous hosts - I said to myself "who the hell is this guy??"...

But over time, as we learned more about him and he became comfortable on camera, he became likable, with thoughtful/honest opinions and a dry sense of humor - a great addition. He showed real talent as a writer and his articles were truly unique explorations into the mindset of us Disney junkies.

Last edited:
Aw man, I'm late to the game, but I am bummed. Every video I'd hope he'd be there and be slightly disappointed when he wasn't. The guys are all great, but Charles was definitely my favorite and usually had the perspective that was most useful for me.

It's funny, because when I first started watching, I thought he was too stand-off-ish. But really, he's just very dry with that genuine love for Disney and it made for an excellent combination. Wishing him well/

I certainly see that there is a place for Steve's simple pallet on the dining reviews. For those who have family members (children or not) who are similar, it is great to get that viewpoint. Unfortunately, with the loss of Charles, there isn't anyone on the other end of the spectrum. My family ALL are adventurous eaters. (Yes, even when children - my son insisted on eating hot wings at 2 and was trying, and loving, escargot and conch fritters at 5) Without Charles, there isn't anyone on the dining show who will deliberately try the "weird and different" food. Can you imagine any of the others deliberately ordering the goat dish? I will really miss Charles on the dining reviews.

Now we get the privilege of watching Fiasco tell us that he's lactose intolerant in every dining review, but then order something with dairy in it.

Well shoot. I was REALLY looking forward to meeting Charles at the DIS event. He is incredible talented and I loved him from Day 1. His contributions to the team were incredible. My favorite were his dining reviews. Godspeed, Charles.
We actually ran in to Charles last March At BLT taking Pictures and filming - He actually really grew since joining the team and I really grew to trust him On the food reviews -

Now we get the privilege of watching Fiasco tell us that he's lactose intolerant in every dining review, but then order something with dairy in it.
Haha - I wondered if anyone else was puzzled by this...for a fella with lactose intolerance, he sure eats a lot of dairy.

I came to say that I'll really miss Charles...he's a big part of what drew me into the Dis. His unique take on the foods and experiences was very interesting, and seemed a little different from everyone else. I wish him the best in his future endeavors, but I'm holding out some hope that he'll return here.

You can be lactose intolerant and eat some dairy if you take lactaid. For some people they may be able to handle a bit. It just depends.
Exactly. I haven’t listened to those shows but my wife is lactose intolerant. Pretty much everything in restaurants has dairy from the steak (butter) to the fried chicken (buttermilk) to the vegetables (butter) to dessert contains dairy. She just takes plenty of lactase pills and she’s generally okay.

They made a fuss about Dustin a) because of how long he’d been there and b) because of the way he revolutionized the presentation, from being an audio only show to a video show. The end of that episode, in which pete notes “your hands and heart will always be on everything we do” and Craig’s “I owe my life to you” will always stick with me.

Then there was the short video announcement from JL when she left...

Then the company grew and grew, technology moved even further faster ahead and video content almost became the new norm- I know I watch way more Dis content than I listen to now, and that wasn’t always the case. The team grows, the product diversifies, things move faster and faster... people are naturally going to come and go at a faster rate. Whilst it would be “nice”, I don’t think it’s practical to keep tabs on who’s doing what/leaving etc.

They did also mention at the time some other guy that left, but the questions keep coming to this day... whatever happened to Oliver? 😜
He has videos now on a blog and I believe he works with her sometimes.

Without meaning to diss (see what I did there?), current contributors, there is a Charles shaped hole in recent broadcasts.

According to his twitter feed he’s focusing on developing his superpowers...

What about his food critic superpower? The community needs it back!

Without meaning to diss (see what I did there?), current contributors, there is a Charles shaped hole in recent broadcasts.

I totally agree. It’s still great and I still love them all... but Charles elevated the show. He brought a sense of almost “philosophical” thinking and analysis that is basically unheard of in Disney World podcasts! It was such a welcomed and refreshing addition, it was a view on Walt Disney World that I really related to, in a way that I had never really had before.

I still think that Pete is the single best “commentator” in the Disney podcasting/Youtube community, but Charles rapidly climbed up near the top spot for me.

And I don’t want to make it like everyone else on the show isn’t great. If and when someone like Kevin or John leave the show (which I hope isn’t for a long time but I have a terrible feeling it’s going to be sooner than we think), there will be a similar hole - probably bigger. Craig carries the DIS Unplugged on his back. Teresa and Kathy are absolutely essential in so many different ways. The team is an incredible assortment of peeps... it’s just a shame one of those great voices will no longer be at that table.

I liked Charles but some of you are on a trip that I can't partake in.
I totally agree. It’s still great and I still love them all... but Charles elevated the show. He brought a sense of almost “philosophical” thinking and analysis that is basically unheard of in Disney World podcasts! It was such a welcomed and refreshing addition, it was a view on Walt Disney World that I really related to, in a way that I had never really had before.

I still think that Pete is the single best “commentator” in the Disney podcasting/Youtube community, but Charles rapidly climbed up near the top spot for me.

And I don’t want to make it like everyone else on the show isn’t great. If and when someone like Kevin or John leave the show (which I hope isn’t for a long time but I have a terrible feeling it’s going to be sooner than we think), there will be a similar hole - probably bigger. Craig carries the DIS Unplugged on his back. Teresa and Kathy are absolutely essential in so many different ways. The team is an incredible assortment of peeps... it’s just a shame one of those great voices will no longer be at that table.

I don't mean to sound contrary but I can't get on board with anything you've said here. Charles as "philosophical"? I am happy to agree he brought a different perspective and, in some cases, had more insight in to a given topic. But really no more than other members did with an area of specific interest to them. I enjoyed Charles' contribution to the team, though.

I wouldn't put Pete as the best commentator. I think a broad generalization like that is a bit too much. As I alluded to above, I think commentary is "best" based on bins; specific areas of interest or expertise. For example, a contributor who has experience as a ride operator might be the best to provide dialogue on attractions operation. I don't think any one team member's overall contribution is the 'best', though I do tend to prefer listening to some more than others'.

I can't agree that Craig carries the podcast "on his back". If for no other reason than Ryno's contribution(s). Plus, there's no telling what goes on behind the scenes. Certainly Craig is a driving force, though.

Teresa and Kathy being "essential in so many ways"... I think their perspectives are certainly more useful to the listener than others, but again, in binned factions.

What I'm driving at is simply no single member is more important than another. I appreciate all their inputs. Even those who I have listened to enough to determine I may not personally care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!