Where is everyone hiring cars from?

cheryl.UK

DIS Veteran
Just a quick Q. We are off to WDW in august but haven't sorted out a hire car yet. Where are people getting good deals at the moment?

Another Alamo fan here. Used them for our last few trips and never found they do a hard sale for extras at the desk

Have you tried Costco if you are member?

https://www.costcotravel.co.uk/

I get all of ours 'Stateside' through Costco here, but they do do it for the UK memberships too i'm sure. Good pricing, free additional driver and you compare the various companies.

We are going in August also and are renting our car with Alamo through rentalcars

Despite the Virgin package we booked coming with a car, I have decided to not take that (saves £200 or so) and use Disney busses only. I am still not at all sure if it's a good idea or not, we are staying at Port Orleans Riverside in October. Last time we went without a car we were staying at Pop and one night coming home from MK was a NIGHTMARE. It took over an hour an a half.

I'm thinking things will be different as it's not Pop and the money we aren't spending on car hire I can get a minivan if the queues are looking crazy long. it's not so much a money saving exercise, more of an experiment as the next time we go we would have to shell out $20 a night to park.

It's totally a first world problem, that one night trying to get back to Pop just sticks in my mind and I wonder if it's the right choice or not. But then driving to MK also takes ages, Car -> Tram -> Monorail/Boat at least the bus takes you to the front door. I guess we will see how it goes in 125 days time!

Despite the Virgin package we booked coming with a car, I have decided to not take that (saves £200 or so) and use Disney busses only. I am still not at all sure if it's a good idea or not, we are staying at Port Orleans Riverside in October. Last time we went without a car we were staying at Pop and one night coming home from MK was a NIGHTMARE. It took over an hour an a half.

I'm thinking things will be different as it's not Pop and the money we aren't spending on car hire I can get a minivan if the queues are looking crazy long. it's not so much a money saving exercise, more of an experiment as the next time we go we would have to shell out $20 a night to park.

It's totally a first world problem, that one night trying to get back to Pop just sticks in my mind and I wonder if it's the right choice or not. But then driving to MK also takes ages, Car -> Tram -> Monorail/Boat at least the bus takes you to the front door. I guess we will see how it goes in 125 days time!

I always used to hire a car when I went with my (now) ex... the last three trips with my new BF neither of us wanted to drive so we have been reliant on buses. I've actually not minded it as much as I thought I would. I don't feel like it has cost me that much time, as the buses drop you at the park entrances whereas with a car you then usually have to wait for a second form of transport or a bit of a walk. The buses are always cool as opposed to getting in a car thats been baking in a car-park all day. I much prefer magic express to and from the airport then having to find where to pick up and drop a car off. And it has saved us quite a bit in insurance and gas. We usually treat ourselves to Uber when we go out for a "nicer" meal. There have been times when I've got to a bus stop at park closing and thought "Jesus, look at that line!" but I can honestly say I've never waited long... they have someone there assessing the area who sends an extra bus over when needed. Hopefully your issue was just a one-off.

We gave up trying to get a decent price from any of the onsite rental companies last year so ended up going with Hertz, it meant getting a $10 uber to the Hilton to pick the car up but we saved so much money it was worth it.

We just booked our car for August, it seems so much more expensive this year. We needed a minivan as there will be 7 of us at times, and we ended up getting one for just the first part of our stay, to keep the costs down. We will do our shopping while we have the car and just use Uber the odd couple of times we want to go offsite for meals after that. We ended up going with Alamo, so we can return the car to the Car Care Center at WDW.

That's what I thought too Wilma-bride. We did find a car but it was so much more than we've paid in the past. £950 for an SUV for just over 3 weeks. Better than some of the quotes we found but at least £150 more than I wanted to pay. If we weren't going with 2 other adults, I would have got a small car or even gone without. We also like to resort hop so we are staying at 4 separate WDW resorts and one at Universal. It's so much more complicated if we don't have a car. So, bullet bitten, car hired and if I say it quickly enough, £950 is not so bad :rolleyes1

Last edited:
Haha, we are staying at 2 WDW resorts, Universal and taking a Disney Cruise. We are having the car for the beginning of the trip at Universal, using it to get to WDW and keeping for the first couple of days, then we will Uber the rest of the time. For the first time ever, we are taking private transportation to the port. Since we would have had to pay for a car or transport from the port to the airport after the cruise, we figured it wasn't that much more for the round trip. I can't get over how much it was though - over £400 for the minivan for almost a week.

Prices have rocketed in the last few years.

Before the little one arrived, we used to always Hire a Convertible, used to be able to get that for £200-250 for 14 days, not looking at almost £450!

Think we wenr with Dollar this year. Im not sure why but renting a car from Miami was cheaper x

We ended up booking out flights with Aer Lingus and added on the car hire with them with Dollar xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!