Where is the best place to stay for our trip?

Ahrizel

Mouseketeer
Alright, I am hopefully taking a young lady with disablities to WDW later this year. Here's the setup and the concerns. She is a goofball princess, with spastic quad cp and severe mr. Non-walker, can't talk much but boy does she get her point across:) We've taken her out many times locally and number of times overnite at a hotel. She loves to travel(all a party just for her) and has a great time. We usually stay in a suite property because she doesn't sleep well if we're in the same room-too nosy, she might miss something. The kitchen helps as she needs pureed food. Dh and I have been to Disney many times in the past few years, and we usually stay offsite in a condo or house. Our only stay onsite was 2 days at Pop at the end of our last trip, and we did like it.
Here's the thing. We need a seperate sleeping area for her and us, a frig and microwave and preferably laundry facilties in room. On property that means one of the DVC resorts, lovely but expensive. We could do 2 rooms at a value, but no kitchen facilities. I'm willing to stay offsite, but I know it would be very nice to stay onsite with her. We don't necessarily need an accessible room, we usually don't get one with her. Money will be an issue, this will mostly on our dime, and I would like to have more spending money then usual as this will be her first, and possiblly only trip. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas that could help.
Oh, were looking to go either the end of October or early December.

You might want to check the Holiday Inn Family Suites (407-387-5437) which is about a mile off property. My understanding is they have special sleeping rooms for children and reasonable prices.

As far as location, if you are on the main road from Epcot, instead of exiting to I-4 you go straight. In less than a mile the large Marriott World Center is on your left and HIFS is on the right.

You should look into renting DVC points to get a 1 bedroom at OKW. They have full kitchen ans laundry facilites in the room. Comes complete with all pots and pans and I blender I think. You could rent points and stay in the one bedroom for $175 or less per night. This could work well for you and you could get a ground floor room, or a room in one of the elevator buildings. Let me know, or head over to the DVC forum for more info on renting points.

Carrieberry said:
You should look into renting DVC points to get a 1 bedroom at OKW. They have full kitchen ans laundry facilites in the room. Comes complete with all pots and pans and I blender I think. You could rent points and stay in the one bedroom for $175 or less per night. This could work well for you and you could get a ground floor room, or a room in one of the elevator buildings. Let me know, or head over to the DVC forum for more info on renting points.

How do you get $175 a night. I was running numbers on DVC resorts by renting points, there obviously a good choice for us if the money is right. I was getting over 200 night for the week by renting points, figuring $10 a point roughly. Dh and I usually get a condo from skyauction, or have rented a house when traveling with family. DVC costs a lot more then that! Anything that puts the cost down more would be a welcome help.

It will be more expensive if you are renting on a Friday or Sat night. We will be at POFQ for our first 2 nights(really it is just the night we get there and one more night so only one whole day in that room) before moving over to OKW. Sun-Thurs nights are cheaper because they cost the DVC owners more on the Fridays and Sat's so when you buy points you are paying about double for Friday and sat. If you do not want to change resorts (Disney will move all or your luggage for you) then with a code FW cabins might be better though I don't know how a wheelchair would work there (we have never stayed there). We will be paying roughly $168 for our 5 night rental Sun-Thurs for a one bedroom at OKW-80 pts. We pay slightly more than $10 a point because we always rent from the same person and he is great and we trust him.

we just stayed at vacation villages at parkway. tons of room, separate bedroom so DD went to bed before i did, full kitchen (fridge, microwave, oven, stovetop, toaster, blender, all pots/dishes, everything - even a strainer for my rice noodles), washer/dryer inside the apartment, jacuzzi, huge bathroom, large screen tv, diningroom table seats 6 - a totally awesome place. paid $249 for the week, taxes included through www.getravelop.com (only good if you qualify). would use www.skyauction.com to get a great price on a timeshare, too. saved a ton of $$ on food, eating "real" breakfasts in the room (eggs, etc.) and packed a lot lighter knowing our clothes could wash/dry over night or while we were at the parks (didn't waste our time).

also spent two nights at POP this trip. didn't feel anymore "magical" on site, although it was of course nice. felt "cramped" after being in the timeshare. would go for a timeshare again for a future trip. just be sure to research the location (on these boards, at www.tripadvisor.com etc.)

dj

Skyauction is a good idea, we've used it several times before. That will probably be our choice for her, I was just fishing for other ideas. Staying onsite with her would be lovely, but DVC, which is ideal, is very expensive. Even renting points it looks like $1600+ for a week in a one bedroom. I know not staying on the weekends would reduce costs, but the idea of switching resorts sounds horrible. We may have to stay the first night elsewhere, our stay will be 7 or 8 nights, but one transfer is enough. Moving her, packing up all her stuff, it will be enough of a party just getting her to the world. Oh, she'll love it, anything is fun so long as we're getting tortured:) But it will be insane for us, we can't travel light with her. We almost always stay offsite and always rent a car, she has a Convaid stroller and a car seat so that won't be a problem, just need a good sized car or minivan. Seaworld will be on the agenda also, another favorite of ours. I just know how nice it would be to stay onsite, but the facilities we need and the budget we have aren't going to match up I think. I'll keep an eye out for good deals, you never know what may come up. And if we don't stay onsite, it will still be a wonderful trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter