Where should we stay - 2 units vs a Villa

sncbird

<font color=blue>I need a Starbucks Latte!<br><fon
Hello,

My husband, children (ages 4 & 5), my paretns and I are planning out first trip to WDW in Oct. 2001.

I require a special needs room (handicap accessible) and would like feedback on where the best place for us to stay would be. We thought a Villa might be the best choice but are also considering 2 rooms.

Also, would it be best to bring my own manual wheelchair, rent a manual or EVC from a company like Walkers or Randy, or wait to get one at the parks.

I'm also confused on what whould be better to use a manual wheelchair or EVC. I can walk short distances but require assistance for long ones.

Any advice from you WDW veterns would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Personally, I would suggest a villa, you would have a full kitchen, perhaps washer/dryer, depending on the villa that you chose... In September we took my manual wheelchair, and it worked out okay, but it meant that my husband had to push me everywhere... that wasn't so bad I guess, but it was a lot of extra work for him... My powerchair is actually coming TOMORROW, so that is what we will take from now on.... But back to your dilemma, if you can afford to pay the extra money to rent an ECV, you can do that, but they are expensive, it was about 200.00 a week, that was a lot, since we were there for 2 weeks.... Either way you go, you will be okay... But back to the room, I would definitely try to go with a villa for comfort and convenience....

I agree about the villa. We have stayed in a studio with our dd in her wheelchair, but even when there are only 4 of us, we have been staying in a one bedroom villa, which also sleeps 4. The extra room, full kitchen and laundry room are awfully hard to get by without once you are used to having them.
The other thing to think about, is if you get 2 rooms, they may or may not be close to each other.

As I understand it, there are also different levels of accessiblity. Some of the rooms are fully wheelchair accessible with roll in showers, cut out areas under the sinks for a wheelchair to roll in. There are also rooms that are handicapped accessible with raised toilets, extra grab bars in the bathroom, etc. but without the roll in shower and cut outs. You can call WDW RESORTS/SPECIAL RESERVATIONS at (407) 939-7807 [voice] or (407) 939-7670 [TTY] and ask about that.
If you don't have your own power mobility, you might want to consider bringing your manual wheelchair and rent an ecv. That way, you would have the wheelchair available in the airport (you can ask for a gate check and use the wheelchair up until you get on the plane) and in the room where you might not feel comfortable driving an ecv if you are not used to one.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter